PDA

View Full Version : 2 computers in the same house connecting

Syndrome
November 24th, 2011, 07:14
not sure if its possible to change the ports for fg2 to something other than 1802 for one computer... but i cant have 2 computers with the same port forwarded... any other options?

Syndrome
November 24th, 2011, 07:41
lol nm figured it out... of course after i post thats what happens

damned
November 24th, 2011, 08:48
you only need the ports forwarded if you are hosting a game... if you want to host 2 games at the same time...

Syndrome
November 24th, 2011, 09:05
well no if you want to host the game on 1 machine and use it on the other both have to forwarded... or you can use direct connect instead lol

Trenloe
November 24th, 2011, 22:24
well no if you want to host the game on 1 machine and use it on the other both have to forwarded

Err, not sure that this statement is correct. Are you running the game on 1 machine (hosting FG as a GM) and the other machine is a player?

If so, as damned says, you only need to forward port 1802 on your router to the GM machine that is hosting the game - as this is running as a server and "listening" for communications on port 1802. The player machine connects to port 1802 on the GM machine, it does not "listen" for connections on port 1802 on it's own machine.

However, if you wanted to host 2 different FG games on 2 different machines at the same time behind the same router, then you would need to have port forwarding to both machines and would need some way of changing the listening port from 1802 on one of those machines.

And, if all of your GM's and players' machines are behind the same router then you don't need port forwarding at all!

Hope that makes sense...

Syndrome
November 24th, 2011, 23:06
well i was reading it says you have to have 1802 incoming open for gm... and 1802 outgoing for player... but yea if its behind the same router it doesnt require forwarding anyways... so i downloaded hamachi so everyone could connect

Zeus
November 25th, 2011, 00:02
You only need to forward port 1802 from your router to the computer on your home LAN that will host FGII games for INTERNET connected clients i.e. any client connecting through your firewall.

Clients internal to your home network will not need to route via your router as they can connect directly using your home LAN internal IP addresses.

However, if the intention is to host two FGII games simultaneously from behind the same router then here's how you could do it.

- Setup port forwarding on your home router to both home servers but choose a different port for the second system e.g. 65535
- Start your first server with FGII as normal
- Start the second server using the -p flag to set the different port number

e.g. fantasygrounds.exe -p 65535

Note: All clients connecting to the 2nd server will need to also change their port to the same as the host, in this example 65535.

I have never personally tried it but it should work in theory.

Syndrome
November 25th, 2011, 00:15
ah thank you... i was attempting to find out how to change ports on a program... that helps

Werethunder
January 14th, 2014, 14:32
Hi, there, people! I am having a very similar problem...

My desktop is connected to my router by a cable. My laptop is wireless. I did not change the configuration of my laptop, and just enabled my router to accept its IP on port 1802; FG on my laptop is OK, connects properly.
The problem comes in what concerns my desktop. I did as instructed above (flagged the shortcut icon with -p 1801), then enabled my router (and firewall) to let port 1801 open for my desktop... And it won't budge! What is the problem? When I change everything back on my desktop to work on port 1802, it goes normally, though...

By the way, I oppened the traffic control of my firewall and, indeed, my desktop was triggering port 1801 when I wanted it to. Ah... By the way, UPnP is enabled on my router, too.

Trenloe
January 14th, 2014, 15:16
By the way, UPnP is enabled on my router, too.
If you have UPnP on your router and you will only ever be hosting one game from your own network then you don't need to change ports on your computers and you don't need to setup static port forwarding.

Remove all port forwarding that you have already setup for port 1802 on your router and just let it use UPnP.

Of course, if you and someone else might be running 2 completely separate games as GM then you would need one of the Fantasy Grounds to use a different port number, but UPnP should still work for you.

And, by the way, if you still need to manually set a port number when you use the -p<port number> command *do not* have a space between the -p and the port number. e.g. -p1801 *not* -p 1801 Any player that is trying to connect to a different port than 1802 will need to manually set their port number too.

damned
January 14th, 2014, 22:04
quick clarification:

Are you HOSTING games on both computers?
If not then this is all irrelevant.

1. As players you dont normally need to make any changes to firewall. The only time this is not true is if you have setup a restricted firewall to start with that only allows specific traffic - in that case you do need to allow your LAN traffic to access internet hosts on tcp:1802 eg 192.168.1.0/24 ANY ANY 1802 permit (being source ip, source port, destination ip, destination port, action).

2. If one of your computers is hosting then use UPNP if that works. If that doesnt work setup a static NAT (PAT) to direct inbound connection on tcp:1802 to your host computers internal/LAN IP.
Any other computers on the same LAN should use the host computers internal/LAN address as the host address in FG.

3. In the unlikely event that you have two computers on the same LAN that are hosting FG sessions for people not on the LAN then you need to do the same as (2) for first host computer and then for second host computer you will need to launch fantasygrounds.exe -p65535 (or whatever unused port you choose) and then test the UPNP or make the static NAT/PAT entries. Then the remote players connecting to that second host will need to specify its game port eg 65535.

I hope that does actually help and doesnt add more confusion!

Werethunder
January 16th, 2014, 00:35
If you have UPnP on your router and you will only ever be hosting one game from your own network then you don't need to change ports on your computers and you don't need to setup static port forwarding.

Remove all port forwarding that you have already setup for port 1802 on your router and just let it use UPnP.

Of course, if you and someone else might be running 2 completely separate games as GM then you would need one of the Fantasy Grounds to use a different port number, but UPnP should still work for you.

And, by the way, if you still need to manually set a port number when you use the -p<port number> command *do not* have a space between the -p and the port number. e.g. -p1801 *not* -p 1801 Any player that is trying to connect to a different port than 1802 will need to manually set their port number too.

I appreciate your help a lot, Trenloe. Thanks!
I will only host one game at a time in my home. However, perhaps sometimes a friend will drop by and try to connet via my laptop.
However, I did as you recommended! -p1801, with no space in between...!

I did all you told me and... Bingo! I hope it keeps working, though!

Thanks again and happy gaming for all!

Werethunder
January 16th, 2014, 00:49
Thank you, damned! Yes, I am hosting on both, but not at the same time. You helped a lot, of course, although I didn't catch all you said (hehehe)! You are GOOD.

I guess that, for while, UPnP worked. If I come to face new problems, do not go mad at me if I happen to ask more, will you? I am still leraning these stuff of connections!

Cheers!!