PDA

View Full Version : Cards games ruleset

neuralnoise
November 23rd, 2011, 18:53
Hi everybody !

Currently, I'm trying to create a ruleset for a french RPG called SHADE which use a cards system (52 cards + 2 Jokers).

There is some discussion about that but there isn't solution (maybe I didn't find the right thread). My question is : is it possible to create a 1d54 dice?

Thx for your answers.

tdewitt274
November 23rd, 2011, 19:14
A 1d54 is actually pretty easy. For this approach, there was a thread some time ago that did custom dice (displayed a picture based on the result). I'm not sure who did that.

The issue comes when you need to maintain the cards that are distributed. For example, if I deal a card, I don't want it to be distributed again until it is discarded.

There were a few threads going around for cards, but I don't think anything was ever finalized.

neuralnoise
November 23rd, 2011, 19:33
Thx for your repply.

Great ! So I gonna search this thread. Actually, I never find a topic where a solution was find or rather any ruleset created.

tdewitt274
November 23rd, 2011, 19:55
Try this link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11857&highlight=custom+dice). Proably a little more than what you're looking for, but similar to the desired effect.

phantomwhale
November 24th, 2011, 00:14
The DLR extension to SWEX uses a card library, which will also be part of SWEX 3.2 (coming reaaaaal soon).

In summary, it uses the CampaignRepository, which is initialised with a table of 54 elements. Cards are simply picked by generating a random number in LUA, and removing that element from the table (discards are not tracked), and to reshuffle, the table of 54 is simply recreated.

Not sure where we stand on the legality of sharing code from the commercial rulesets - would have though given it is SWEX-agnostic (it's just a card library) then it should be OK, but would want to get a thumbs up from Smiteworks first. It only tracks cards in the database, of course, you also need code to render those cards as images (or tokens) on whatever window control you choose to use.