PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Ranks and Skills

Ardem
November 16th, 2011, 02:46
I have the RMSS edition and FRP edition is the classic edition another variant.

I ask because the creation of a character in the adolescence based on the character walkthrough, describes making the primary skills and secondary skills the same run through, and there is no mention of hobby ranks or tables. Also many of the skills and categories have gone missing such as Athletics and lot of the secondary.

Question 1/ Can I add use this and the SS version of Rolemast and just add the other categories

Question 2/ How do I go about using the SS version in this when it comes to single categories such as 1H - edged and subcategories.

Question 3/ Similar to Q2 Body development should I just use body development drag drop and no category or use this method.

Ardem
November 16th, 2011, 04:14
I just realised the bonuses are out of wack too.

+5 +10 +25, instead of +2 +5 +10.

Hmm wondering now if it possible to play a RMSS game, I think I try and modify the bonuses to what they should be and see if it all falls in line.

Dakadin
November 16th, 2011, 06:47
Hi Ardem,

Yes, RMC is a variant. It is based on the 2nd edition of Rolemaster. There are some significant differences between RMSS/RMFRP and RMC. This link gives a brief description: https://www.ironcrown.com/?page_id=711. The skills and stat bonuses are some of the main differences.

Stats in RMC have larger bonuses because you don't add the stat bonuses together like you do in RMSS. In RMC you take the average of the stat bonuses. It ends up working out pretty close to the same overall though.

Skills are a bigger problem because RMC doesn't support the categories that RMSS uses. You might be able to manually create the skills and categories. You would also need to change them to manual calculation. You could store a skill's category using the group or notes field.

Body development could probably be done using the existing skill. Just figure out the rank bonus using the RMSS progression. The stat bonus works a bit differently if I remember correctly so you might need to fudge that a bit.

The good news is the combat tables are mostly the same.

I don't know if this was any help but I wish you luck getting it going. If you do get it going please let me know how you decided to do it.

Ardem
November 16th, 2011, 07:35
No very helpful.

Some pointers so far for people wanting to do the conversion

1/ Switch Skill progression to manual, this fixes the skills side of things.

2/ Use the Level section to add profession bonus, category bonus

3/ Use the Spec under stats to adjust the stat bonus to what it should be.

------------------------------------------------------

Question.

If I change the script files (lua) in the Rolemaster Classic and make a Rolemaster RMFRP or RMSS version for my own personal use is this breaching any copyright. I have all the RMFRP books and RMSS books legit purchased I cannot see why I should not be allowed to change their scripting as long as I am not distributing it.

Anyone see any problems

Ardem
November 16th, 2011, 11:42
Well I been able to work out the code modification quite well. I have been able to change the stat bonuses, DP calcs and skill ranks.

Not sure what else I need to change to make it RMSS compatible but the character sheet it looking much better.

Else non codewise you can do the suggestions I had made above.

Dakadin
November 16th, 2011, 16:29
Good job. I've actually started doing some of the same changes to the code but life got busy and I haven't worked on it in awhile. I stopped after getting the basics of the categories setup and before finishing up the skills portion. I've included a screenshot that might give you some ideas.

Hopefully I can get back to work on it in December. Good luck in your efforts and please keep me posted if you continue to make changes.