PDA

View Full Version : Game suffering from random crashes and lag?...Read this!

Dracenfels
November 14th, 2011, 06:27
After over 2 months of random server crashes, lag, atrocious connection speeds, and overall not so pleasant game experience... I'd like to share what finally fixed everything presto-magico! Let me just say it took a lot troubleshooting and patience from players, so thanks to them for all their non-game nights of trying different things out with me. Not to mention every time I'd ask them to log in it would take almost 20 minutes sometimes, sheesh.

It seems that for well over a year, I had been accumulating stuff in my campaign folder. Not to mention an adventure that I got from a friend that had really, really large images in it, unbeknownst to me. So after hours of googling information on my router, hours of messing around with db files, .ext files, .mod files, making new campaigns and transferring data over, etc.,etc. The culprit was the images folder. This adventure my friend made and gave to me to DM had huge files in it. About 15 mb worth of excess images. When I deleted the unnecessary images and condensed the size of the rest that I did need, my campaign folder went from 25 mb to 6 mb. I also took my personal NPCs and other "just in case my players do this or that" images and exported them to .mod files so that I could have them there if I needed them but without bogging my server down.

Images was the last place I thought to search for a solution because I didn't think that images that weren't shared with players would matter with server performance...but it does. :D

I don't know if this has already been addressed by MoonWizard or anyone else but if it has, I've just been really unlucky finding a post about it. I have searched the forums over and over again looking for a solution thinking it was the new patch 2.8 that was causing my problems. It just so happens I imported the adventure files at the same time 2.8 came out, DUMB LUCK!

***Perhaps a sticky might be in order***