PDA

View Full Version : Should players be able to give themselves bennies ?

phantomwhale
November 11th, 2011, 12:04
The new 3.2 ruleset is going to have some controls on the PC list screen to make assigning initial bennies a one-click operation per player.

From this, I noted players can still:

Drop a benny from one PC sheet to the other to award the other PC a free benny
Drop a number onto the bennies to award themselves that many bennies
Use the mousewheel to adjust there benny count

So the poll is to ask if player's should be able to adjust bennies (whether by accident or on purpose) or if it's time to leave this as a GM led function only ?

-PW-

Robbo
November 11th, 2011, 13:00
Are there some leadership edges that make sharing bennies a common occurrence? If not, I say make it GM only.

phantomwhale
November 11th, 2011, 13:07
Excellent question !

I think Natural Leader allows allies and followers to use your bennies - even if those were the other players, you would still be able to "spend" your own benny, and follow up with a chat message to say what it's for.

I'm clearly learning towards it being a GM only function (that's how it is in DLR, as Fate Chip counts need to be kept intact) but want to keep it open if there is a good reason.

Doswelk
November 11th, 2011, 17:03
Are there some leadership edges that make sharing bennies a common occurrence? If not, I say make it GM only.

Common Bond allows a Player spend a Bennie for another player to reroll it does not transfer the bennie. I voted NO (GM only) :)

Dracones
November 11th, 2011, 17:47
I really don't think it's a big deal for PCs to be able to do whatever they want, so long as the GM gets notified about it in the chat window.

It's not like at a real face to face game I can't lean over and grab a bennie or something from GM's side of the table if I wanted. The GM would just be "WTF are you doing?"

phantomwhale
November 14th, 2011, 04:20
There is no chat window notification currently. I guess that's the crux of it - I want to empower my PCs as much as possible, but still keep the GM aware of player-led activities which are normally controlled by a GM.

I think I'll go with the PC lock down from the poll results; chat window notification works as far as drag-and-drop goes, but one spin of a mouse wheel could flood the chat box !

Wretch
November 14th, 2011, 11:41
To be honest this isn't something that has ever been a problem in our gaming group, we have all been friends for sometime and are all there to have fun and I trust the players not to cheat. If they were to cheat, it wouldn't really be all that fun for anyone and pretty obvious to all. I'm sure that if I didn't notice then one of the other players would and they wouldn't be shy to name and shame the individual (all in a very jovial nature no doubt!)

However, outside of our close knit group of regular players, I can see and understand the need for a little more control. Particularly for some of the GM's here that run open games for all comers. I guess you never know what type of player you will get and it would be good to remove the temptation.

scionofnyarlathotep
November 14th, 2011, 22:50
GM only please. It's hard enough managing six players, checking they haven't 'inadvertently' allocated themselves the wrong die type, without having to check their bennies regularly.