PDA

View Full Version : Restoration

zapoqx
November 11th, 2011, 02:43
Alright, I'm pretty sure someone somewhere mentioned that it is not possible to restore someone's campaign data based on the cached copy the players have.
So I ask, is it possible to do the following:

Is it possible to somehow reverse engineer the cached copy so that one can grab the basic information such as characters, notes, etc?
If anything, is it possible for the players to go to their manage character and export the copy that they have of their character from the cached copy?

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2011, 19:44
The player's cache only contains the player character(s) that were used during the last session. The other campaign data is not saved.

There is no easy way to recover the character data from the player's cache, but it is possible if you are up for it.

Get the campaign.dat cache file from each player (located in FG app data folder/cache/<campaign>)
Get the FGPEMUtility from the Downloads section
Run the FGPEMUtility, select Extract and select a campaign.dat file.
The files will automatically get extracted to a folder in an unusual location. On Windows 7, it will be at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II
Within the newly created folder, there is a clientcharacters.xml file.
For the 3.5E/4E rulesets, you should be able to import this character file using the /importchar chat command.
For other rulesets, you would need to copy each "character" record into the campaign db.xml under the "charsheet" tag, then rename the character record to a unique ID (i.e. id-00001).

As you can tell, the extraction utility has not been updated in some time, but luckily we don't need to use it often.

Regards,
JPG

zapoqx
November 14th, 2011, 00:53
Thanks for the reply JPG. For clarification, is it possible then to get the images for their characters?
And ya, It seems I would have to do it since I'm pretty much the go-to guy for most technical things.

EDIT: I just tried to follow your steps and realized I can't seem to extract the dat file as it doesn't show up in extract.

Trenloe
November 14th, 2011, 05:30
is it possible then to get the images for their characters?

The images for the characters are usually added by the players themselves from the portraits icon in FG (the GM doesn't see this). The portraits are taken from the <FG apps data directory>\portraits directory on the specific player's PC.

So, check with each player that they still have their portrait image/s and they can add them again after they select their recreated characters.

EDIT: I just tried to follow your steps and realized I can't seem to extract the dat file as it doesn't show up in extract.

Change the extension of the campaign cache file from .dat to .mod, then you should see it in FGPEMUtility.

zapoqx
November 15th, 2011, 20:06
Thanks Trenloe. That did the trick. Now to wait for all player's to send me their stuff.