PDA

View Full Version : New CGA2FGII filter update

saithan
November 4th, 2011, 23:12
The newest version of the filter allows you to import GCA PCs using the FG command /importchar...

Use:
1 set the export filter to the new version.
2 check the plain text option
3 check the custom file format and type: .xml

export the file where ever you like.

then open FG to the campaign of your choice and type: /importchar
locate and load the file exported from GCA.

DONE!!!

you will then see your imported character in the PC character listing.

you can get the new filter at:
https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=53&id=24:new-export-xml-for-fantasy-grounds-ii

demonsbane
November 9th, 2011, 02:36
This is most useful. Thanks!

mekosmowski
May 31st, 2015, 17:51
Should this be unzipped and put in the FG/utilities folder?

Trenloe
May 31st, 2015, 22:09
Should this be unzipped and put in the FG/utilities folder?
The application itself doesn't have any reliance on Fantasy Grounds. Unzip it to a directory where you usually have your applications.

Chorpa
November 6th, 2015, 11:00
I have just purchased the FG GM/Player license. Was overjoyed when I found a GURPS mod even though it was not official. Got started preparing a first test campaign but can't seem to import the first character. Have one created and have exported according to the instructions and I find the .xml file through FG. But when I try to add the character and press OK nothing happens. Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

Edit: Nevermind all the sudden it started to work. :-)

Bane Root
November 13th, 2015, 19:40
I get a " a 404 Not Found error" when I try and download the filter...

saithan
November 14th, 2015, 19:38
https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/

Bane Root
November 15th, 2015, 20:13
https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/

Thanks so much

Bane Root
January 13th, 2016, 23:28
Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but i have a related question.

I have the GURPS filter and am trying to import characters from GCA, but I'm not sure how to set the export filter to the new version. Is there something I'm missing? Please help.

saithan
January 13th, 2016, 23:31
you must put the filters in the gca sheets folder.
next, when exporting you set the filter drop down to the filter you want to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEJfeUc8E3s

HalC
February 3rd, 2016, 04:18
Hi Saithan - just wanted to let you know that I'm finding the work you've put into this to be worth the while. THANK you. One thing I am considering is picking up a used copy of "Beginning Lua Programming" by Kurt Jung and Aaron Brown. It mentions the following:

"No programming knowledge is necessary to benefit from this book except for the section on Lua bindings, which requires some familiarity with the C programming language. A certain comfort level with command-line operations, text editing, and directory structures is assumed. "

Later on, it says:

"If you choose to extend Lua with libraries written in a programming language like C, you'll need a suitable software development kit."

That seems to imply that if you know (for example) how to program in VB.NET, like C, would be suitable software development kit. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I'm willing to give it a shot however. I'm also willing to pick up teach yourself C in 24 hours to see if I can teach myself C sufficiently well to do what needs to be done. I picked up a copy of Visual Studio some time back, and that includes both VB.NET as well as C.

There are SOME things I'd like to try and change with the interface if possible. The font size for instance, is a trifle tiring for older eyes such as mine, and I'd like a little more font control if possible. I'm also hoping I can create my own modules for handling certain aspects within Fantasy Grounds 2 that might allow for other game systems that are now no longer in print (such as CP2020 for example). So, I figure the $5 plus S&H for a used copy is a worth while investment.

Thoughts?

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 11:05
Hello HalC.
Changing the fonts for text is relatively easy. Changing them for graphical UI is harder - and easier.
The easiest thing to try is in the chat window type:

/scaleui 125%

You can try other numbers too.

This is I think about actually extending the capabilities of LUA itself...
"If you choose to extend Lua with libraries written in a programming language like C, you'll need a suitable software development kit."

HalC
February 3rd, 2016, 13:52
I've used that command, but it tends to be "messy" overall. Ultimately, picking up the Lua book for $5.00 is a minor issue that hopefully, will permit me to customize things that aren't permissible for any "public" code distributed without SJGames permission. What we develop for our own use is of course, for our own use.

It should be interesting to see what Lua can achieve outside of the Fantasy Grounds environment. Each programming language or structure has its own inherent strengths and weaknesses it would seem. From COBOL to Fortran to RPG III (not a role playing language!) to APL to Basic to VB.NET and so on, that seems to be the biggest lesson I've taken away from picking up new things. If I have to add C to the list, well, that's possible too. ;)

damned
February 3rd, 2016, 14:04
SJG's stance on this is of interest to me in an abstract way.
Under US Copyright Law game mechanics cannot be copyrighted. To my way of thinking what SJ thinks about how you do or dont automate his games is completely irrelevant other than as a curiosity... He cannot prohibit anyone from copying his game mechanics.

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2016, 21:47
Hi Saithan - just wanted to let you know that I'm finding the work you've put into this to be worth the while. THANK you. One thing I am considering is picking up a used copy of "Beginning Lua Programming" by Kurt Jung and Aaron Brown.
See this thread for further info on modifying FG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset