PDA

View Full Version : Players cant open Books

Gryfen
October 26th, 2011, 02:30
ok, So the players can't open all the books in the library ( Like the d20 spells, and d20 Basic rules ) The d20 equipment is open, But none of the others. They are all marked Force or allow on my pc.. But they cant open them. The books all look greyed out on the players screen ( Module activation ) and they have a "Star" / "Spiderweb" icon by them.

I'm using D20_JPG v3.0.4

If anyone can tell me what I did I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Gryfen.

primarch
October 26th, 2011, 02:42
Hi!

Off the top of my head the modules are probably not in the "common" format (the module extension is just db) and thus can not be shared.

Modules need to be re-parsed with the "common" tag or extension in order to be shared from the game server.

That is my recollection of it when I used to see this issue much time ago.

Primarch

Trenloe
October 26th, 2011, 05:14
ok, So the players can't open all the books in the library ( Like the d20 spells, and d20 Basic rules ) The d20 equipment is open, But none of the others. They are all marked Force or allow on my pc.. But they cant open them. The books all look greyed out on the players screen ( Module activation ) and they have a "Star" / "Spiderweb" icon by them.

I'm using D20_JPG v3.0.4

If anyone can tell me what I did I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Gryfen.

What modules are you trying to use - are they the "Complete SRD" modules (CSRD) or other modules. The CSRD modules are all set as "client" modules so each player needs them installed on their computer for use. Control of whether they can use them is controlled by the GM allowing or not, but they must have the modules installed locally.

The UOP modules by Brad Davis work the same way.

Phystus
October 26th, 2011, 13:56
Are the players using fairly fresh installs of FG? The D20_whatever modules have been superceded by the 35e_whatever versions, so the D20 versions probably aren't included in the install package anymore. Smiteworks had to remove the "D20" references when Wizards of the Coast cancelled the D20 license.

You could send the modules to your players and have them install them manually, or you could convert to the 35E versions. Note that if you do the latter, you'll also need to update any links on the character sheets (spells, feats, and so on), so it's a bit of a pain.

~P

Gryfen
October 26th, 2011, 16:11
I had planned on fixing this last night, but I got busy with IRL Stuff. As soon as I get home from work I will check your ideas.

The players are all using installs that are a few years old... updated as necessary but the installs are old. I am pretty sure they could read the books before .. Its something we noticed recently. it might be the d20 to 3.5 switch. I could sit here and guess all day , I'll let you know what I find when I get home. Thanks for the help.

Callum
October 26th, 2011, 16:14
I had a player with this issue, and re-installing FG fixed it. I think there had been some corruption of the database.

Gryfen
October 26th, 2011, 22:07
Ok well... For whatever reason reloading the d20, and SRD modules fixed it. At least on my second machine... so I will re-send the files to the players and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the help, and the quick responses.