PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Five Rings

inawkwardscience
October 24th, 2011, 19:31
January 7th, 2010, 14:59

I am not sure about the fan-made version, but there is a high likelihood that an official one will be coming out this year.

Any updates available on the L5R ruleset or has it been abandoned?

ddavison
October 25th, 2011, 05:23
We got off to a later start than originally planned. The official contract with AEG didn't get signed until late August and work has just recently begun.

inawkwardscience
October 25th, 2011, 15:51
Thank you for your response and totally understandable. I am glad to know that the project is well...still a project. I appreciate all the work you guys do, I realize there is much to cover.

Crowley72
October 27th, 2011, 07:48
This is fantastic news, thank you ddavison!! Is it too early to forecast a (ballpark) release month?

I have been running a C&C game using FG2 for a long time now, but I am such a sap for L5R, love that game.

C

ddavison
October 28th, 2011, 03:35
It's still too early. Some of the graphics work has begun but the automation and library conversion hasn't really gotten into full swing yet.

Spikenog
January 26th, 2012, 20:46
Is this something that is still in the works?

Mgrancey
February 9th, 2012, 13:59
What L5R adventure modules are they looking at being available for conversion, I have a bunch of 1st Ed adventures that I wouldn't mind converting once a rules-set is ready (love the system, but never really got to play) they could be released as "classic."

Answulf
March 13th, 2012, 06:18
Just had one of my Fantasy Grounds players asking if L5R was on FG...

Crowley72
May 6th, 2012, 19:15
ddavison,

Any updates on this? It's been a while.

Thanks and sorry if it seems like I'm harpin on ya.

ddavison
May 6th, 2012, 19:46
Work seems to have stalled on this front, due to a lack of available developers who are familiar with the system and capable of full ruleset development. We may need to try to push this through a kickstarter project to try to get it funded and built.

Crowley72
May 6th, 2012, 20:02
If it helps any I will definitely pre-order if the option becomes available. Anything (almost) to help this move forward!

Chisco_FGSpain
May 23rd, 2012, 17:38
What's new about this? :ninja:

dreadrs
May 23rd, 2012, 17:41
I'm a game developer and I'm familiar with the system (to say the least), if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

ddavison
May 24th, 2012, 15:25
Hey dreadrs, send an email to [email protected] and we can discuss off-line. A little history on your development background and if you've done any modding for FG already would be helpful.

Spikenog
June 18th, 2012, 21:55
If it helps any I will definitely pre-order if the option becomes available. Anything (almost) to help this move forward!

Same here, if I knew a working L5R was coming to FG, I would gladly pre-order. :D

Mctool
November 26th, 2012, 17:28
Any update on this being put into works?

bislab
December 5th, 2012, 04:50
I would throw money at this getting developed as well. Has there been any real discussion as to using kickstarter as a platform to get rule set development off the ground?

Mark of Stark
May 1st, 2013, 23:13
I too would be willing to help get a ruleset for this off the ground. I have pretty much every book since the first core book came out and my gaming group and I would love if this took off

ddavison
May 4th, 2013, 15:40
The difficult part has been locating a developer who can spend the time to put together a nice looking and functional ruleset. The Kickstarter idea has merit, but we'd still need to make sure that we had a strong and dependable developer available.

Mark of Stark
May 6th, 2013, 13:34
Agreed, that is one job I wouldnt be able to handle, if I had a ruleset I figure I could make modules without too much trouble, but I would be at a loss doing the ruleset.

Belizan
May 26th, 2013, 20:51
I could make an L5R ruleset for what that's worth. Quite fond of L5R, really :). I would pm ddavison, but he's turned them off, and his email link doesn't work either.

Trenloe
May 26th, 2013, 21:09
I could make an L5R ruleset for what that's worth. Quite fond of L5R, really :). I would pm ddavison, but he's turned them off, and his email link doesn't work either.
See the "Building and selling an add-on for Fantasy Grounds" section in the FAQ for Doug's email address: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=fantasy_grounds_faq

Mark of Stark
May 26th, 2013, 22:13
A ruleset is would awesome at the very least. I have pretty much everything released for L5R in some form or another. I know we couldnt make full on modules and they like since its all copy righted stuff, but L5R was always one of my groups favorite games.

Belizan
May 28th, 2013, 01:53
Well, I sent ddavison an email. From reading the other thread about licensing agreements, it sounded like AEG was on board for allowing conversion of their L5R materials for FG. That said, I have serious doubts that there would be much incentive for any such work on the whole. In my experience, the L5R fan base in the community is vanishingly small :/. Speaking for myself as a developer, authoring an L5R ruleset for FG would be all about my wanting to play L5R in FG, not any great expectations about it being a profitable use of my time :). I imagine the proposition would look even less enticing for supplement conversion.

Valarian
May 28th, 2013, 18:16
I'd buy it if available.

Mark of Stark
May 29th, 2013, 00:51
I'd buy it if available.

As would I

terrell
September 2nd, 2013, 16:34
Any chance you changed your mind and the rule set is almost done? I need a 7th Sea ruleset for an upcoming campaign and I imagine that L5R would be a lot easier for me to extend for my needs rather than trying to extend Savage Worlds or hacking NWoD...

AstaSyneri
September 2nd, 2013, 23:19
Any chance you changed your mind and the rule set is almost done? I need a 7th Sea ruleset for an upcoming campaign and I imagine that L5R would be a lot easier for me to extend for my needs rather than trying to extend Savage Worlds or hacking NWoD...

Use TAG's All for One SW edition, just with the 7th Sea Fluff? That's what I would probably do...

terrell
September 2nd, 2013, 23:25
Use TAG's All for One SW edition, just with the 7th Sea Fluff? That's what I would probably do... It will be the AEG 7th Sea Roll & Keep system for me. I'll just extend NWoD for my needs for now. It would be nice to have a lot of the new features many of the other systems have though.

AstaSyneri
September 3rd, 2013, 09:53
It will be the AEG 7th Sea Roll & Keep system for me. I'll just extend NWoD for my needs for now. It would be nice to have a lot of the new features many of the other systems have though.

That's why I thought about using Savage Worlds instead - it already has a feature rich rules set and flows well (I have GM'ed 7th Sea as well even though it's been a while - and offline of course). And at this point I lack the skills to build an entirely new rules set including extra features.

But it'll be interesting to see how you do this!

Acroyear
September 5th, 2013, 22:16
Well, I sent ddavison an email. From reading the other thread about licensing agreements, it sounded like AEG was on board for allowing conversion of their L5R materials for FG. That said, I have serious doubts that there would be much incentive for any such work on the whole. In my experience, the L5R fan base in the community is vanishingly small :/. Speaking for myself as a developer, authoring an L5R ruleset for FG would be all about my wanting to play L5R in FG, not any great expectations about it being a profitable use of my time :). I imagine the proposition would look even less enticing for supplement conversion.

I was talking to John Zinser about this subject at my house this weekend. He's interested.
I say build a ruleset off of the CoreRPG in 3.x. Also note the 5th edition rules for LotR are coming out.

Belizan
September 30th, 2013, 02:55

No, sorry. I spent a little time looking at it, built a basic character sheet, some concept artwork, but it didn't seem worth the time investment. I actually built an L5R framework for Maptools instead :/. The basic die roller is easy enough, I wrote one years ago for FG, and I think there's another one floating around somewhere. If you wanted automatic support of emphasis and unskilled rolls, etc. that will require making a proper L5R modifier stack. Of course, I don't think 7th Sea uses those.

The time sinks are the graphic arts work and wiring into the modern FG framework as exemplified by the current 3.5, etc. framework. I might still do it at some point if I find myself with too much free time, but it's not much of a priority. It's easily 50 real hours of work for a relatively slapdash version. And I don't think I could constrain myself to a slapdash rendering. You can (one can?) spend a long time tinkering with graphics arts (at least I can). I didn't like my buttons. They were ugly.

Mgrancey
September 30th, 2013, 05:02
I am willing to assist with the Graphic arts work and creating Library modules for L5R if you can do the LUA scripting. I would need the specifics of what you want as far as imagery goes.

terrell
November 16th, 2013, 05:16
So we finally got a chance to play 7th Sea after I did some Mods to the NWoD ruleset. Still have some kinks after 2 sessions, but have had a lot of fun so far...

Terrell

Alchemister
February 5th, 2014, 20:10
Just thought I'd nudge this one round again.

Would love to see L5R on FG. Wish I had the knowledge and skills to do it myself, but is way beyond me. Would definitely join those who have volunteered to help finance such an undertaking though, or would equally stoop to kidnap, blackmail, honey trap, extraordinary rendition...

neonbasschild
July 28th, 2014, 16:47
/me casts NECROPOST

I WANTS L5R ruleset!!!!