PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting FG2...

Eisfalken
October 24th, 2011, 10:05
I'm very interested in finding a VTT to possibly run/play games with some online friends.

However, the game we want to play is Legend of the Five Rings, which doesn't have a ruleset made for it.

So my question is, is there some more "freeform" method of using this program? Or is it a must to have the ruleset involved?

phantomwhale
October 24th, 2011, 13:00
You always need a ruleset - it defines not only the very specific stuff (D&D feats, Savage Worlds Bennies) but also the general stuff (story elements, image elements, token management).

Recognising this, one of the forum members extracted all the decent general stuff from 4E D&D, without including anything D&D specific, and made a generic ruleset that has many of the latest greatest ruleset features of 4E, which is probably the best of the FGII rulesets (although SWEX is catching up ;))

Forum thread about it is here : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15391

Not sure how use-able this is out of the box for what your doing - you'd have to look or ask other members about it. But it might have enough to get you started. I think the character sheet is literally just a name and a token, but with some simple copy and paste coding, you might be able to add other simple text fields to get a basic sheet going, and use the shared dice / chat / image / token functions which work out of the box.

It's probably the best option for "freeform" FGII there is.

Valarian
October 24th, 2011, 13:10
The best bet for "freeform" currently is the older Base ruleset and the generic extension. This extension just has text areas for entering character information.