PDA

View Full Version : New AD&D 2nd Edition Ruleset

psicodelix
October 20th, 2011, 17:18
Hi,

I've just uploaded a new AD&D 2nd edition ruleset to my communty's web site. It includes a bunch of improvements over the older version as integrated client combat tracker, full AD&D mechanics, image and token tools, etc.

It's based on the classic D20_JPG ruleset and the old AD&D ruleset, so thanks to moon_wizard and unerwünscht for their previous work.

You can download it from here:

https://archiroleros.com/foro/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=89

tip for non-spanish: click on the link "DESCARGAR ARCHIVOS"

Enjoy it.

Tel Arin
October 20th, 2011, 18:03
Great!!

I've always wanted a ruleset for AD&D2 in order to use the modules I remember from my youth.

Actually playing Borderwach & Falcon's revenge https://i55.tinypic.com/11uap8h.png

Thanks!!

Barlie
October 22nd, 2011, 13:10
Excellent! 2nd edition is probably my favorite ruleset for D&D so I'm glad to see it in fantasy grounds. I saw an earlier version of the rule set but truly disliked the art it used for icons and backgrounds in FG. Is there some kind of documentation for this ruleset? There are some things I see in there that I don't understand such as CR and BAB/Grp in the combat tab of the personalities section.

By don't understand, I mean don't understand within the context of 2nd edition. 2nd edition didn't have CR and new attacks were gained by leveling, but didn't use the BAB from 3rd edition. Also, I don't see an entry for 2nd stats such as tHAC0.

psicodelix
October 22nd, 2011, 19:00
I'm sorry there isn't any documentation yet, although I will try to answer your questions.

You're right, there isn't CR or BAB/Grp in 2nd Edition, but instead of delete them I kept the fields for any use you want give to them.

The thac0 is integrated in the attack string, so when you create an attack you must use the following structure:

attack_name thac0 (damage_die)

for example:

Long sword 17 (1d8+2)

Barlie
October 26th, 2011, 07:14
Ah, thanks a lot! I'll be running a campaign using this ruleset soon and am rather excited about it. Thanks again for your work on this.

psicodelix
October 26th, 2011, 07:34
Ah, thanks a lot! I'll be running a campaign using this ruleset soon and am rather excited about it. Thanks again for your work on this.

You're welcome :)

unerwünscht
October 26th, 2011, 12:55
I have not checked this out yet, as I have not actually played an AD&D game in years. However, it might be worth pointing out that if you are using the skin elements that I created from my original AD&D ruleset, I received a DMCA notice over the use of the AD&D logo on the desktop. So if it has that logo you might want to remove it.

psicodelix
October 26th, 2011, 14:30
Actually there isn't any copyrighted artwork in the ruleset, but thanks for the advice.

silvereagle72
January 16th, 2012, 22:51
Regular life interfered seriously so I havent even looked at FG in a long time.. Comming back to this is awesome... Cant wait to try it out...

Old school!

psicodelix
January 17th, 2012, 07:44
hope you enjoy it :)

silvereagle72
January 20th, 2012, 03:30
Awesome to see the new ruleset avail... catn wait to have the time to try it out :)

osarusan
January 23rd, 2012, 14:32
Wonderful!! A 2e Ruleset! I love you!

GunnarGreybeard
January 23rd, 2012, 15:02
The last time I played 1e was back in the late 70's when it first came out and while I did get the 2e books, I never played it. Shortly after playing around with 1e we converted to a homebrewed Harnmaster/Rolemaster game using 1e AD&D's Magic system.

How much different were 1e and 2e AD&D? Could the 2e Ruleset be used to run 1e games or are they that different?

psicodelix
January 23rd, 2012, 16:03
well, there is a bunch of differences between the two systems. Here you can see a list of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons#Differences_from_ Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons

This ruleset has some especific mechanics integrated, like thac0, so you might want to use another ruleset.

GunnarGreybeard
January 24th, 2012, 15:40
@psicodelix - Thanks. I wasn't sure if the differences were that great that the ruleset might be more trouble than it was worth. Probably best to stick with OSRIC for 1e games.

DelasGoodfelllow
January 26th, 2012, 19:48
Well, there are a lot of differences, but most are fairly minor. There are a handful of key changes that were big (such as with Rangers and Bards). The core of the rules is basically the same between 1 and 2E. Depending on which is your favorite, you'd say either they "fixed" some abuses in 2E compared to 1E OR you'd say they "nerfed" good stuff in 2E compared to 1E. On the other side, there are TONS more 2E stuff to look at - which is a significant complaint or advantage depending again on your point of view.

Back to the subject - it's a whole lot easier to modify 2 to 1 than say 3 to 2 or 3 to 1. If you are more familiar with all the rules, you could see 1 to 2 as similar to 3 to 3.5. Thus, 1.5 would be more accurate - but, it was known as 2E before all that .5 stuff became a standard way of showing "updates."

Barlie
February 1st, 2012, 07:23
Speaking of all the things that were available to 2nd edition players, I have a question. Know that I ask this from a position of great gratitude for the work already done. Is there a chance of seeing some of the rules from the optional core material integrated into ruleset? In particular I'm thinking material from the Player's Option: Skills and Powers book.

psicodelix
February 1st, 2012, 17:41
Regarding me, I haven't planned any update to this ruleset in the near future.

Galeric
February 4th, 2012, 23:12
psicodelix...

The hosting site for your download... is it your site?

psicodelix
February 5th, 2012, 01:00
yes, it's my community's website, altought today has been down due to maintenance works. Now it's up and running.

Galeric
February 5th, 2012, 01:45
https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1294/79580781.jpg

psicodelix
February 5th, 2012, 03:40
yep, that message is the reason of the maintenance actions, but now it should work fine. Give it some time so google can update its indexes.

If you still can't access, tell me and I will upload the ruleset to another hosting.

Hamaden
February 7th, 2012, 01:42
Thanks for this update!
I've been recently trying the previous version to start a game and this update comes at a great moment!

Barlie
February 17th, 2012, 20:19
Just one more concern then I'll stop nagging you I promise, I'm just about ready to launch my campaign xD. I'm having some issues with the map. When I use the grid in combination with the pointers, it causes FG to crash. The error I get is the following:

Script Error: [String"scripts/imagewindow_image.lua"]:178: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'endx' (a nil value)

Also, when I place tokens on a map or open a map with tokens already placed, I get the following error:

Script Error: [string"scripts/imagewindow_image.lua"]:253: attempt to call field 'registerMenuItem' (a nil value)

That second error doesn't crash FG though. It just comes up and seems to do nothing. Any idea if there's something I can do to fix these?

psicodelix
February 17th, 2012, 20:52
Ok, let me try to reproduce and fix these bugs.

Barlie
February 17th, 2012, 23:21
Thanks man, very, very much appreciated.

psicodelix
February 20th, 2012, 08:46
hmmm... I'am unable to reproduce the error, everything seems to work properly.

are you using the latest and unmodified ruleset version? are you using any special screen configuration?

could you post me more details about the steps you follow to raise the error?

khersheyjr
April 11th, 2012, 22:16
Are there any mods availible like monsters etc? I am curious to see before I start to add them all by hand :(

silvereagle72
April 15th, 2012, 19:57
none that I know of, so sharing would be awesome :) (Assuming its ok to do so)

Draygor
August 7th, 2012, 11:09
Hi Newbie to FG here, I've stumbled upon your post for 2E ruleset, and I'm eager to try them as that is my favourite edition of AD&D.
My question is, to what location should I unzip the folder?
Many thanks

Trenloe
August 7th, 2012, 15:34
Hi Newbie to FG here, I've stumbled upon your post for 2E ruleset, and I'm eager to try them as that is my favourite edition of AD&D.
My question is, to what location should I unzip the folder?
Many thanks
Unzip into a directory under the <FG application data directory>\rulesets

Get to the application data directory from Windows Start - All Programs - Fantasy Grounds 2 - Application Data Directory

MrHack
August 18th, 2012, 05:56
Awesome ruleset...thanks for the hard work. I wanted to mention that the combat tracker sorts highest initiative first. In 2E, it should sort lowest initiative first. It turns out to be an easy fix. The filename that needs modification is combattracker.lua, and it's in the scripts subfolder of the 2E ruleset (for me on Win7, that folder is C:\Users\MrHack\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\ADD2\scripts\). Between lines 49-55 or so, there is the following function:

function onSortCompare(w1, w2)
if w1.initresult.getValue() == w2.initresult.getValue() then
return w1.init.getValue() < w2.init.getValue();
end

return w1.initresult.getValue() < w2.initresult.getValue();
end
If you change the two less-than symbols the other direction, the combat tracker will sort lowest initiative first:

function onSortCompare(w1, w2)
if w1.initresult.getValue() == w2.initresult.getValue() then
return w1.init.getValue() > w2.init.getValue();
end

return w1.initresult.getValue() > w2.initresult.getValue();
end
It worked for me, and I didn't see any errors afterwards. Hope it works for anyone else who tries it. :)

Kyan Silver
August 3rd, 2013, 01:15
Thanks MrHack, I tried the fix and it worked for me aswell.

psicodelix
August 3rd, 2013, 16:09
Thank you for the fix

Kyan Silver
August 15th, 2013, 04:08
I'm trying to add an attack from a PC to the combat tracker. In the walk through of a different walk through they say on the combat page there is a Use option. Is there a way to have the attacks added into this Ruleset?

psicodelix
August 15th, 2013, 11:58
Nope, the PC's attacks aren't linked to CT. This is a common behaviour among standard rulesets.

Kyan Silver
August 16th, 2013, 00:07
Thanks for the heads up so quickly.