PDA

View Full Version : Tenian's language extension for 3.5E

Trenloe
October 20th, 2011, 11:58
This is an old thread - see the new thread here for the latest versions and further development: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets

I've modified Tenian's language extension to work with the 3.5E and PFRPG rulesets. Note: The languages in this extension are fairly generic 3.5e/PF languages, but also include most of the Pathfinder Inner Sea Human languages as well.

Recommended that GMs use the new generic CoreRPG "Language Chat" extension available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets This still uses the same 3.5e/PF languages but has the ability to add custom languages, store custom languages in a module and repeatable letter scrambling to overcome the copy/paste "cheat".

Update - V2.5. 19th December 2013.

Now works with Fantasy Grounds V3.0!

To Use:

/lang {abyssal|aquan|auran|celestial|draconic|druidic|dw arven|elven|giant|gnome|goblin|gnoll|halfling|igna n|infernal|orc|sylvan|terran|undercommon|aklo|necr il|orvian|common|hallit|kelish|osiriani|polyglot|s hadowtongue|shoanti|skald|tien|varisian|vudrani} {text}

Players can only speak in languages listed on their sheet. It will provide translations as needed.

The Host can speak in any language. They can also use a second command to speak in any font, even those not associated with languages (emotefont for example)

/fc {internal font name} {text}

Thanks so much to Callum for reviewing and modifying specific to the 3.5E and PF SRDs.

Talen
October 20th, 2011, 15:16
Wow, thanks Trenloe! I was putting together the First Steps: Part II scenario and the translation effect will work great with alot of the encounters. Thank you!

Trenloe
October 20th, 2011, 20:11
So, I've realised a few of the languages in the extension are specific to 4E:
Deep Speech
Primordial
Supernal

Anyone have an idea what these should equate to in 3.5E/PF? For Pathfinder, I'm thinking:

Deep Speech = Undercommon?
Primordial = Terran?
Supernal = Celestial?

Does that sounds about right? Should we be adding more in to cover other languages like: Infernal, etc.?

Callum
October 20th, 2011, 21:36
Here's the SRD list of "common languages":-

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/speakLanguage.htm

Note that there are only six alphabets, so the nine provided by Tenian's extension (assuming each font is different) should cover all of them. I'd change Deep Speech to Undercommon and Supernal to Celestial, as you suggested. I'd also change Abyssal to Infernal, since that's the base language and alphabet. Terran makes sense for Primordial, but so does Aquan, Auran or Ignan. Since these are fairly rare, and covered by other alphabets already, I'd recommend changing Primordial to Druidic, since that's the only alphabet not already covered.

Talen
October 20th, 2011, 22:31
Arent there others as well? I dont have the Scenario in front of me...but for exapmle, the langauge of the aspects in the First Steps Part II scenario (Khellish?) Ill see what I can find when I get home.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2011, 23:08
Arent there others as well? I dont have the Scenario in front of me...but for exapmle, the langauge of the aspects in the First Steps Part II scenario (Khellish?) Ill see what I can find when I get home.

Yeah, there are - a lot more in fact. There is a languages section in the Inner Sea World Guide - page 251, that lists modern Human, ancient and other languages; 39 in all.

Callum brings up a good point of alphabets - which is essentially what this extension does initially (changes the font for an alphabet change). Expanding it to include languages that use the same alphabet could be difficult - unless we just list the human languages with the same alphabet as "***" or something similar.

For example: Trenloe speaks Varisian: "******", Translation "Hello!"

Talen
October 21st, 2011, 00:53
For me, the font is an ancillary concern - so long as the nosy pc's can't read it! As a result, I think your solution works as far as Im concerned.
And Kelish is the language I was hoping would be added!

Callum brings up a good point of alphabets - which is essentially what this extension does initially (changes the font for an alphabet change). Expanding it to include languages that use the same alphabet could be difficult - unless we just list the human languages with the same alphabet as "***" or something similar.

For example: Trenloe speaks Varisian: "******", Translation "Hello!"

Trenloe
October 21st, 2011, 02:33
Thanks Callum for the info and the link.

I've done the following to the extension (link in the first post):

1) All Modern Human languages (Pathfinder) will display the Wingdings font for the speach and then will translate for players who speak that language. Wingdings isn't great, but it gave me a quick fix.

2) I've mapped aquan, auran, druidic, ignan and terran to what was primordial before (I've removed primordial).

3) infernal maps to abyssal. abyssal is still present.

4) celestial is now supernal. supernal has been removed.

Talen
October 21st, 2011, 03:16
Thanks for the another great tool Trenloe (and thanks again to Tenian for the original).

Trenloe
October 21st, 2011, 03:23
When I have a bit of time, I'm planning on expanding the Human language fonts a bit - hieroglyphs for Osiriani, Arabic for Kelish, Chinese for Tien, Runes for Skald, Cyrillic for Varisian (?), Hindi for Vudrani, etc...

Trenloe
October 21st, 2011, 11:14
When I have a bit of time, I'm planning on expanding the Human language fonts a bit - hieroglyphs for Osiriani, Arabic for Kelish, Chinese for Tien, Runes for Skald, Cyrillic for Varisian (?), Hindi for Vudrani, etc...

Update done. All modern Human languages for Pathfinder are covered (ref Inner Sea World Guide p251).

Hallit - based on Tibetan alphabet.
Tien - Based on Chinese script.
Shoanti - based on Sequoyah writing.
Polyglot - based on Ethiopian alphabet.
Shadowtongue - Cirnaja font.
Vudrani - Hindi script.
Osiriani - Hieroglyphics
Skald - Hyrrokkin Runic script.
Kelish - based on Arabic alphabet.
Varisian - Cyrillic Russian.

Callum
October 21st, 2011, 21:05
Thanks for all your work, Trenloe! I'd just check with the Paizo people that they're happy for you to use their language names in this way. You might start by looking at the Community Use Policy (https://paizo.com/paizo/about/communityuse). Or you could just e-mail them and ask.

Ram Tyr
October 21st, 2011, 21:55
Keep up the good work!

Trenloe
October 21st, 2011, 22:09
Thanks for all your work, Trenloe! I'd just check with the Paizo people that they're happy for you to use their language names in this way. You might start by looking at the Community Use Policy (https://paizo.com/paizo/about/communityuse). Or you could just e-mail them and ask.

Thanks for the reminder Callum. I usually include the community use statement, but for some reason didn't this time. The extension has been updated to include this now.

Callum
October 21st, 2011, 22:40
Okay, here's my version, using only languages listed in the SRD and the PRD, and sticking to the SRD's allocation of alphabets to languages. I've added common to the languages in the extension, for use in those situations where there's a character who doesn't speak common, and to have a base font for use with common-based languages such as halfling (I assigned the font that was used for goblin to common, since goblin uses the dwarven alphabet in this version, as per the SRD). Finally, as a Pathfinder bonus, I included aklo (the only language in the PRD that isn't in the SRD), assigning it the dwarven alphabet.

So this is the list for my version:

/lang {abyssal|aquan|auran|celestial|common|draconic|
druidic|dwarven|elven|giant|gnoll|gnome|goblin|
halfling|ignan|infernal|orc|sylvan|terran|undercom mon} {text}

It would be easy to paste in the modern human languages from Trenloe's version, if you wanted to combine the two.

Callum
October 26th, 2011, 16:12
Using this extension a bit more, I've found one odd feature - it doesn't provide a translation for the player who types the message, only for the GM and for other players whose characters speak that language. Of course, you know what you've typed, but it makes it tricky to check for typos, or scroll back later to check what you said earlier. Would this be easy to change?

Another little improvement (in my opinion!) would be not to give the name of the language when the PC doesn't speak it, so instead of "Wilvaer is speaking Halfling" it would say "Wilvaer is speaking a language you don't understand". Could this be done easily?

Trenloe
October 27th, 2011, 12:22
Using this extension a bit more, I've found one odd feature - it doesn't provide a translation for the player who types the message, only for the GM and for other players whose characters speak that language. Of course, you know what you've typed, but it makes it tricky to check for typos, or scroll back later to check what you said earlier. Would this be easy to change?

Another little improvement (in my opinion!) would be not to give the name of the language when the PC doesn't speak it, so instead of "Wilvaer is speaking Halfling" it would say "Wilvaer is speaking a language you don't understand". Could this be done easily?

Hey Callum - thanks a lot for your work on this extension. I've re-coded areas of the extension that were using the 4E Chatmanager special messages functionality and moved these to the FG V2.8 OOBMessage functionality - this now fixes the issue with the speaking player not seeing a translation.

I've also changed the code so that everyone sees "Wilvaer is speaking:" but no language. Those you can see the translated text see "Translated Halfling:". This was the easiest way to implement this functionality - I hope it's OK?

V2.3 released - see first post. I've combined all of the SRD/PRD languages, changed the alphabets in line with the SRD and added the Paizo community use statement to cover use of the modern Human languages. Thanks again to Callum for work & suggestions on all of these items.

Callum
October 27th, 2011, 20:52
Hey Callum - thanks a lot for your work on this extension. I've re-coded areas of the extension that were using the 4E Chatmanager special messages functionality and moved these to the FG V2.8 OOBMessage functionality - this now fixes the issue with the speaking player not seeing a translation.
Great - I'm glad you could fix it! And no thanks are needed - I'm happy to do my bit for the community. But, really, it's all your work (and Tenian's before you, of course).

I've also changed the code so that everyone sees "Wilvaer is speaking:" but no language. Those you can see the translated text see "Translated Halfling:". This was the easiest way to implement this functionality - I hope it's OK?
Yes, I think that's good. In fact, I'd be inclined to change the "Wilvaer is speaking:" line to match the ordinary chat functionality (i.e. to "Wilvaer: " without a carriage return before the speech bubble).

V2.3 released - see first post. I've combined all of the SRD/PRD languages, changed the alphabets in line with the SRD and added the Paizo community use statement to cover use of the modern Human languages.
Good work, again, rationalising it all. You still need to update the fonts for Aquan, Auran, and Giant to match the SRD alphabets though.

Infex
October 31st, 2011, 07:27
An interesting feature! The amount of flavor this can add is astounding. Kudos.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2011, 01:35
Yes, I think that's good. In fact, I'd be inclined to change the "Wilvaer is speaking:" line to match the ordinary chat functionality (i.e. to "Wilvaer: " without a carriage return before the speech bubble).
Good idea. However, to do this requires the chat message being put together (sender and text) and you can only use one font for both of these. So, to get the sender name and text on the same line, the sender name would be in the language font too.

Unless someone better at FG LUA knows how to get around this???

I've done a minor modification - now it just says <sender>: rather than <sender> is speaking:

Good work, again, rationalising it all. You still need to update the fonts for Aquan, Auran, and Giant to match the SRD alphabets though.
Thanks for spotting that. I've made the change.

New release available in post #1.

Blackfoot
November 4th, 2011, 21:40
Hmm... I'm thinking that in Pathfinder.. the Gnomish language is more like Sylvan or some other Fey language than Dwarven.

Trenloe
November 7th, 2011, 00:46
Hmm... I'm thinking that in Pathfinder.. the Gnomish language is more like Sylvan or some other Fey language than Dwarven.
Good point.

I've updated the extension (V2.4) with a new font reference "pfgnome" that uses the Elven font if the PFRPG Game System option is enabled. If PFRPG is not enabled, the font reference "gnome" is used which uses the Dwarven font.

Callum
November 11th, 2011, 12:21
I've added some support for the spells comprehend languages and tongues to this extension. Now, if a PC has "comprehend languages" in the Languages section of the Notes tab, that player will see translations for any language. If a PC has "tongues" in the Languages section of the Notes tab, that player will see translations for any language, and be able to speak any language.

Well, in the original Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, it specified that Gnome used the Dwarven alphabet. This hasn't necessarily been altered by the statement in the Inner Sea World Guide that Gnome has some similarities with Aklo and Sylvan.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2011, 21:45
I've added some support for the spells comprehend languages and tongues to this extension. Now, if a PC has "comprehend languages" in the Languages section of the Notes tab, that player will see translations for any language. If a PC has "tongues" in the Languages section of the Notes tab, that player will see translations for any language, and be able to speak any language.

That's a great idea - thanks! :)

Well, in the original Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, it specified that Gnome used the Dwarven alphabet. This hasn't necessarily been altered by the statement in the Inner Sea World Guide that Gnome has some similarities with Aklo and Sylvan.

Good spot, I hadn't checked the Campaign Setting book.

Callum
November 12th, 2011, 15:16
The Campaign Setting was published under the d20 rules, so it could be argued that its reference to Gnome using the Dwarven alphabet was just following the d20 rules. The trouble is that the Pathfinder rules have dropped the table showing which alphabet each language uses, without replacing it with anything. So there's really nothing to go on, unless you just use the table from the d20 rules.

Blackfoot
November 15th, 2011, 20:16
I get an error (pops up the console) if I enter /lang with no arguments. You might want to put in a check for this.
Maybe give some help output if you just do /lang
Actually.. it would be pretty cool if it were to work with just /l makes for a good bit of typing if you are actually using it to talk with... hrm.. /l seems to mess with lighting...
ok.. /la works.. that's not too bad I guess.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2011, 06:04
I get an error (pops up the console) if I enter /lang with no arguments. You might want to put in a check for this.
Maybe give some help output if you just do /lang

Good idea - I'll put that in the next release.

Actually.. it would be pretty cool if it were to work with just /l makes for a good bit of typing if you are actually using it to talk with... hrm.. /l seems to mess with lighting...
ok.. /la works.. that's not too bad I guess.

I'd prefer not to change this as it has been around for a while now, so we have a pretty good idea that /lang doesn't interfere with other extensions etc..

If you really want to save yourself typing 2 extra characters, you can change it for yourself in the extension: scripts\fontchat.lua - Comm.registerSlashHandler("lang", processLanguageChat);

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2011, 12:38
I'd prefer not to change this as it has been around for a while now, so we have a pretty good idea that /lang doesn't interfere with other extensions etc..

If you really want to save yourself typing 2 extra characters, you can change it for yourself in the extension: scripts\fontchat.lua - Comm.registerSlashHandler("lang", processLanguageChat);Currently you can do just /la and it works.. without making any changes. /l attempts to use the lighting change functions... I'm not sure what it does on the player side.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2011, 13:42
Currently you can do just /la and it works.. without making any changes. /l attempts to use the lighting change functions... I'm not sure what it does on the player side.

Ah, OK - I misunderstood you, sorry... Looks like the ruleset autocomplete code comes into effect. Nice! :)

Callum
November 18th, 2011, 12:58
Good catch - here's an amended version that catches this.

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2011, 20:37
The Orc language doesn't seem to be accepted by the extension... since Orc is a starting language for all half-orcs it's probably a necessary addition.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2011, 20:50
The Orc language doesn't seem to be accepted by the extension... since Orc is a starting language for all half-orcs it's probably a necessary addition.
Hey Blackfoot, what do you mean when you say not accepted? What are you trying and what happens? I've tested this with both of the extensions in this thread and they work fine for me.

graphil
January 20th, 2012, 23:03
Just trying it out. Using Sylvan.
The translation works OK but the player also gets an error
Unknown special message received. Type = fontchat.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2012, 23:18
Just trying it out. Using Sylvan.
The translation works OK but the player also gets an error
Unknown special message received. Type = fontchat.
Sounds like the player side didn't load the extension. Exit FG on the player's side and then join the game again - check in the chat window that the text for the extension is displayed - this should be below the 3.5E "JPG" copyright notice.

Trenloe
July 15th, 2012, 00:26
It took me a while to find the issue introduced with FG V2.9 where the extension would only work if it was loaded on the players PC as well - it wouldn't download from the GM. It was to do with a forward slash (/) in the extension title - that was it! So I've removed it and it works fine... :)

Updated extension in the first post of this thread.

madman
July 15th, 2012, 09:15
Bravo, Brother. Once again nice work!

Chris

Zeus
July 15th, 2012, 10:39
Just a note to say that one of my players found a method to circumvent the translation logic in the extension (PC's are only supposed to receive a translation if they know the language), meaning he was able to get a translation regardless of the specified language.

I won't explain the method here for the sake of not ruining anyones fun with the extension however I will be updating the 4E version to block this method - I would be more than happy to discuss with whomever is maintaing the 3.5E/Pathfinder version so that the method can be blocked for this version too.

Devs PM me for more info.

Ram Tyr
July 16th, 2012, 13:13
Just a note to say that one of my players found a method to circumvent the translation logic in the extension (PC's are only supposed to receive a translation if they know the language), meaning he was able to get a translation regardless of the specified language.

I won't explain the method here for the sake of not ruining anyones fun with the extension however I will be updating the 4E version to block this method - I would be more than happy to discuss with whomever is maintaing the 3.5E/Pathfinder version so that the method can be blocked for this version too.

All your haxxorz are belong to us! :)

Baelheit
August 18th, 2012, 18:54
Just curious but any idea when compatibility for 2.9.1 will be out as the extension seems to no longer be working. Not sure if the problem is specific to my copy of fantasy grounds or if it is just that the latest update rendered it useless. Sorry to bother you about something so inconsequential although an answer would be appreciated.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2012, 20:12
Just curious but any idea when compatibility for 2.9.1 will be out as the extension seems to no longer be working. Not sure if the problem is specific to my copy of fantasy grounds or if it is just that the latest update rendered it useless. Sorry to bother you about something so inconsequential although an answer would be appreciated.
What version of the extension are you using? I updated the attachment in the first post a few weeks
ago.

I used it fine in a game this week.

Baelheit
August 18th, 2012, 23:12
Odd I downloaded the latest version a couple of days ago... I guess it might be conflicting with another extension although not sure why the town and shop extensions or a theme would cause any issues with it. Well sorry to bother you about it I guess the error is on my end.

Well after a bit of testing it seems the wood theme keeps it from working for whatever reason.

Trenloe
August 19th, 2012, 04:25
Well after a bit of testing it seems the wood theme keeps it from working for whatever reason.
Yeah, looks like bnason copied the language extension initialise function and didn't remove the stuff to do with the language extension so its clashing and causing languages not to work.

I'll post on the wood theme thread to see if bnason can update the wood theme to remove the languages code.

bnason
August 19th, 2012, 15:53
Fixed Trenloe - thanks for the catch and not calling me out for shamelessly stealing your announce script :P

Blackfoot
January 14th, 2013, 21:48
I was fiddling around a bit with the language extension today... and I got to thinking... you know what would make this better? If there was some way to click a toggle next to the language on your 'Notes' page.. and then all your normal text would come out in the selected language. You could still talk in a readable language by doing OOC communication.. but it would plunge you that much further into the mix because literally you'd have to switch languages in order to speak in a different one... or to speak in a language that one person or another could understand. Since 'most' characters would speak the 'common' language that could be the default or whatever...
Seem like a cool idea?

Trenloe
January 14th, 2013, 22:14
I was fiddling around a bit with the language extension today... and I got to thinking... you know what would make this better? If there was some way to click a toggle next to the language on your 'Notes' page.. and then all your normal text would come out in the selected language. You could still talk in a readable language by doing OOC communication.. but it would plunge you that much further into the mix because literally you'd have to switch languages in order to speak in a different one... or to speak in a language that one person or another could understand. Since 'most' characters would speak the 'common' language that could be the default or whatever...
Seem like a cool idea?
Great idea! When are you going to code it? :D

Blackfoot
January 14th, 2013, 22:37
Well.. it doesn't seem like THAT huge a step from the current extension... just need a widget to replace the /la thing. I'll look at it and see what I can figure out...

Of course.. it needs to click into the character sheet... and that part of the ruleset changes.. it might make the extension a bit more complex to maintain.

d1wright
October 15th, 2013, 13:52
Call me dense, but is there a way to list available languages from the extension in FG? Something like "/lang help". Something easier for a player or GM than cracking open the extension.xml file and looking at the options.

Love the extension.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2013, 15:12
Call me dense, but is there a way to list available languages from the extension in FG? Something like "/lang help". Something easier for a player or GM than cracking open the extension.xml file and looking at the options.
There is nothing in the extension that will list what languages are available.

Post #1 of this thread lists the languages.

Nickademus
October 15th, 2013, 16:04
I had not noticed you updated this (a while ago I admit) with the human racial languages. Kudos and thank you. Most of my characters make use of those.

Blackfoot
October 16th, 2013, 00:08
There is nothing in the extension that will list what languages are available.

Post #1 of this thread lists the languages.How hard, do you think, would a 'help' function be to add to the thing Trenloe?

Myrddin
October 16th, 2013, 00:09

Only just discovered this extension and love it! I've downloaded the version from the first post, but I can immediately see the issue that DrZeuss refers to. Is this supposed to have been fixed in the 3.5E version?

Trenloe
October 16th, 2013, 01:03
Only just discovered this extension and love it! I've downloaded the version from the first post, but I can immediately see the issue that DrZeuss refers to. Is this supposed to have been fixed in the 3.5E version?
I provided a relative work-around in this post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18799-Languages-quot-Cheat-quot&p=149183&viewfull=1#post149183

You will need both extensions installed (and activated) to use it.

When FG 3.0 comes out I am planning on updating the languages extension with a few things, such as:

Chat window help.
Default font if language is not recognised - perhaps even a random font.
Text randomiser.
Perhaps a campaign specific override for certain language names - allowing a GM to code which font to use for which language on a campaign-by-campaign basis via chat window "slash" commands.
A module approach to languages - allowing activation of one Language module to control the languages and fonts used. Similar to the way the calendar functions now. This would allow the same extension to be used for a multitude of rulesets/settings and GMs to specify their own language/font relations.

d1wright
November 14th, 2013, 01:40
Hey folks,

I added a lua scrip function to my copy of the language extension so that I didn't have to type out the entire language name each time as a simple typo fails. It's just a simple pattern match of a list of the language names I have so that it can find a name that matches the first few characters I type in with a full name to use for the rest of the routines.

As well I added some creepy fonts using the FG font generator to allow my undead to sound more undeadly using font chat.

function defineFontstring(language)
local languageList = " abyssal aquan auran celestial common draconic druidic dwarven elven giant gnoll gnome goblin halfling ignan infernal orc sylvan terran undercommon andobaran kalamaran svimohzish dejy thorali aragrakh hulgorkn seldruin"
local tempLang = string.match(languageList, "%s("..language.."%a+)")

if tempLang then
language = tempLang;
end

return language
end

Yes, it's a custom language list for my campaign so make changes accordingly.

Trenloe
November 15th, 2013, 17:24
That's cool d1wright. Perhaps this can be extended to use the autocomplete functionality that doing a whisper does - i.e. type \w <a few characters of a pc name> and then hit the <TAB> key - if there is a unique match on the PC name the FG code auto completes the PC name. Perhaps the same code could be used/modified to do an auto complete on the language name. e.g. /lang elv <TAB> would complete to /lang Elven if Elven was a valid language.

The doAutoComplete function is in the 3.5e \scripts\manage_chat.lua script.

chillybilly
December 19th, 2013, 13:43
After the update, when I start a game, I don't see the option to enable the 3.5 lang extension (but I do see the 4E one). The 4E extension seems to work (in PFRPG) but has the wrong languages (Draconic but no Hallit, etc).

Perhaps related, if I have a ruleset designated as 3.5, I see the 3.5 lang extension, it's only after it's been converted to PFRPG that the extension does not list (and function).

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 16:14
Updated the extension in post #1 to be usable in Fantasy Grounds 3.0 for both the 3.5e and PFRPG rulesets.

tahl_liadon
December 19th, 2013, 22:12
there's fg3?!

has it been beta tested? can i try the beta?

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 22:15
there's fg3?!

has it been beta tested? can i try the beta?
Where have you been recently?

tahl_liadon
December 19th, 2013, 22:19
haha. hiatus... lots of heavy personal stuff.

anyway... i answered my own question: just hit the dev and updated. gonna check it out now...

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 22:24
It's live: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20044-Release-v3-0

damned
December 19th, 2013, 22:29
Updated the extension in post #1 to be usable in Fantasy Grounds 3.0 for both the 3.5e and PFRPG rulesets.

thanks Trenloe - should this also work for C&C? I edited XML to include Castles and Crusades and it works. What differences are there between this and the 4E one? This one is about 70kb bigger.
is there any fix to the drag cheat?

Trenloe
December 19th, 2013, 22:45
thanks Trenloe - should this also work for C&C? I edited XML to include Castles and Crusades and it works.
As long as languages are stored in the same place in the DB for the character sheet this should work OK. It looks in charsheet.id-000XX.languagelist, then the <name> tag of all of the children.

What differences are there between this and the 4E one? This one is about 70kb bigger.
I added a bunch of fonts to cover Pathfinder specific languages - mostly regional human languages, see post #1 for the list.

is there any fix to the drag cheat?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18799-Languages-quot-Cheat-quot&p=149183&viewfull=1#post149183 Not implemented in this one (yet). I plan to use the source string as a seed to a random number generator so that the source-to-gobbledegook conversion will always be the same, if I can get it to work reasonably well.

Plans for future development here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15561-Tenian-s-language-extension-for-3-5E&p=159260&viewfull=1#post159260

tahl_liadon
December 19th, 2013, 22:59
It's live: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20044-Release-v3-0

haha. i was confused because the install still made a directory labeled "fantasy grounds ii"... thought iii might be in dev.

chillybilly
December 20th, 2013, 13:13
It works perfectly! Thank you very much for the speedy response. My group plays tonight and I was hoping to have it available! Thanks again!

Trenloe
January 24th, 2014, 11:23
Updated for more rulesets and with random character scrambling: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets

Trenloe
January 28th, 2014, 14:52
A major update has been done to the generic "Language Chat" extension. It is recommended that GMs use this new generic CoreRPG based "Language Chat" extension available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets This still uses the same 3.5e/PF languages but has the ability to add custom languages, store custom languages in a module and repeatable letter scrambling to overcome the copy/paste "cheat".

Blackfoot
July 22nd, 2014, 16:19
Have you given any thought at all to updating the function of this to be more like the way it works in Savage Worlds?

Trenloe
July 22nd, 2014, 16:38
Have you given any thought at all to updating the function of this to be more like the way it works in Savage Worlds?
How does it work in Savage Worlds?

Blackfoot
July 22nd, 2014, 16:41
Instead of being a slash command.. it has a box at the bottom of the chat window that you enter the language or select the language from a drop down.. then that language is used for all 'talk' type messages until you remove it... it becomes the default language.

Trenloe
July 22nd, 2014, 16:51
The thing that is great about this extension now is that there is no GUI controls and related scripting involved at all. This makes it very easy to maintain across different rulesets and version releases. If GUI controls/scripting are introduced into the extension, every time there was a new Fantasy Grounds release this extensions would have to be reviewed and tested across currently 5 different rulesets (this thread is for the old, no longer supported version) and potentially theme extensions as well.

Based off this, I have no plans to introduce GUI components to the currently supported extension at this time. That extension can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets

Blackfoot
July 22nd, 2014, 17:18
I appreciate what you are saying.. it is definitely a pain to keep up with changes in FG... the functionality of the SW version is pretty cool though. If you've never tried it.. you should check it out.

gmdmb3
October 17th, 2015, 01:04
Hey first of all I love this extension. and now my question/request, I have a player thats a dwarf and he ONLY knows dwarvish. is it possible to set it up so that when he types it defaults to dwarvish without having to type the /lang portion?

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 01:08
Hey first of all I love this extension. and now my question/request, I have a player thats a dwarf and he ONLY knows dwarvish. is it possible to set it up so that when he types it defaults to dwarvish without having to type the /lang portion?
Not with this extension. You can use the default functionality in v3.4, but they'd still have to type /lang.

A portion of this extension functionality will be available in FG 3.1.3, which I believe will allow a player to select the language from a dropdown and their conversation will then use that language.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2015, 10:13
A portion of this extension functionality will be available in FG 3.1.3, which I believe will allow a player to select the language from a dropdown and their conversation will then use that language.

Indeed, this is correct and it is a stonking addition to FG.