PDA

View Full Version : Cannot convert

debuss
October 17th, 2011, 12:07
Downloaded converter and attempted to use. When I try to convert my Herolab.xml file it get the following error:

Cannot Convert. Errors below.
No FG2 4E local character list exists.

In the console section it states:
Node Read Error. <Name: #document: Path;document/@signature>

Running windows 7 64 bit, ran as Admin, UAC off, Herolab and FG2 not installed in program files but on C:\.

I have checked to make sure inputs and output was directed at correct location and watched video three times to if I was doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Trenloe
October 17th, 2011, 13:16
Importing of 4E HeroLab characters into Fantasy Grounds is not supported - only for 3.5E and Pathfinder.

For 4E the options are "Dungeons and Dragons Insider .dnd4e" or "Fantasy Grounds 2 .xml". The XML option is for XML exported from within Fantasy Grounds with the /exportchar command, not XML exported from Hero Lab.

debuss
October 17th, 2011, 14:52
Thanks for the reply, however I am not trying to convert 4E characters from Herolab. I am trying to convert Pathfinder characters. I do not play any 4E and have not created any 4E characters. I am also confused with the error message but that is why I posted here.

Thanks again
D

Talen
October 17th, 2011, 15:43
I made a video tutorial on the importer that might be helpful as it uses a Pathfinder example. If it doesnt help and you find that I've missed covering something - let me know and I can re record. You can find the video HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15531)

debuss
October 17th, 2011, 16:18
Yep that is the video I said I watched 3 times in the original posting of this problem. Watched again and still can not convert Herolab Pathfinder to FG2.

Still hoping for a solution though
Thanks
D

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2011, 19:29
Can you attach your output file from HeroLab to this thread?
Then, I can run through my version to see what is wrong.

Also, make sure you are using the Fantasy Grounds output from HeroLab, and not the default XML output which is the default setting.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 17th, 2011, 21:49
As Moon_Wizard says, make sure it is the right FG output from Hero Labs.

A quick check of the file exported from Hero Lab will tell you what setting was used - if the file extension is .hlfg then it is the correct output format, if it is .xml then it is probably the standard Hero Lab output.

debuss
October 17th, 2011, 22:40
Yepper....here are two that are stock Herolab that I tried
Thanks

Trenloe
October 17th, 2011, 22:49
Yepper....here are two that are stock Herolab that I tried
Thanks

Valeros works fine for me. So, please provide us with more info:

What version of the Character Converter are you using? The version is in the top right corner - something like 2.8.1.H.
What settings are you using in the converter? Please list all input, output and output options settings used.
If you're importing into a campaign - what ruleset does this campaign use? If it's 3.5E is the "Game System"set as "PFRPG" in options?

debuss
October 18th, 2011, 02:31
1-Character Converter version is 2.8.1.I

Input=Pathfinder & Hero Lab xml (I manually change the .hlpf to .xml)

Select File=The hlpf file I have changed to xml

Output=Local Import with App data folder selected

Output Options= I have tried them all checked and unchecked. Use modules from the module manager to look up data is checked by default. I have tried it unchecked with the same error message as stated in first posting.

I Thank-you in advance

Trenloe
October 18th, 2011, 02:40
1-Character Converter version is 2.8.1.I

Input=Pathfinder & Hero Lab xml (I manually change the .hlpf to .xml)

Select File=The hlpf file I have changed to xml

Output=Local Import with App data folder selected

Output Options= I have tried them all checked and unchecked. Use modules from the module manager to look up data is checked by default. I have tried it unchecked with the same error message as stated in first posting.

I Thank-you in advance

When you select Valeros.xml and press "convert" do you get the error immediately or do you get a "Batch Convert" window appear with multiple characters detected - "Unnamed Hero" and "Valeros"?

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2011, 19:23
Try the latest version that I just updated in the converter thread. I think a recent version of HL may have changed their output format slightly, and I just removed the specific check that was generating the error you are seeing.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025

Thanks for your patience as we get this tool up and running,
JPG

debuss
October 18th, 2011, 22:36
I downloaded your newest version and I am still unable to convert. The message has changed from the one about no 4e character list to one that says "No FG local character list exists" when I try to do a local import. I was able to import a character into the A tale of Dinor campaign.

If there is a way to pull a character out of a campaign it may be a work around until my bug can be squashed.

Help
Thanks
D

Trenloe
October 18th, 2011, 22:51
I have tried a few more times with characters I built (not the stock ones that come with Herolab) and I still am unable to convert my Pathfinder characters. I continue to get the same error that I posted in the first message of this thread.

Help
Thanks
D

Please look at my question above regarding the Batch Convert window. Do you see this appear when you are converting Valeros.xml or does the error just appear?

If the error just appears, I'm thinking this may be a local problem with running the app on your PC, not to do with the XML. I'm beginning to think this anyway, as the XML files you sent me work fine. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit too.

debuss
October 18th, 2011, 22:58
I do not get a batch conversion error, only the ones I posted.

Also see my last post about using new(er) version J

Thanks
D

Trenloe
October 18th, 2011, 23:06
If there is a way to pull a character out of a campaign it may be a work around until my bug can be squashed.

In your campaign, run the slash command /exportchar in the chat window. Then, in the campaign you want to import the character to run /importchar

I downloaded your newest version and I am still unable to convert. The message has changed from the one about no 4e character list to one that says "No FG local character list exists" when I try to do a local import. I was able to import a character into the A tale of Dinor campaign.

I'm wondering if the app is looking for the exportchar/importchar xml. Check what is there already: go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder. Look for a "characters" folder, if it exists, see if there is a 3.5E.xml file in there - if not, run /exportchar as mentioned above for the character you have in A Tale of Dinor and then see if the 3.5E.xml file is now in the characters folder - this may then make the character converter work.

Plus - what licence of FG are you using? Full or the demo?

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2011, 23:06
The new error message you are getting is informing you that the local character database for the target game system has not been created yet. You can create one by starting FG, selecting Manage Characters, and double-clicking on the game system in the Ruleset list. I'll add this to my list to address with the Character Converter.

Just to make sure that you understand where the characters are going:

* XML = Character file that can be imported into a campaign by the GM using the /importchar command. Must be done on the GM's machine.

* Local Import = Imports the character into the "local" character database. These characters are only accessible when joining someone else's game, and will be copied to the server when you select them.

* Campaign Import = Imports the character into an existing campaign. Must be done on the GM's machine.

Also, you can always use the "/exportchar <name>" and "/importchar" commands with an existing campaign.

Regards,
JPG

debuss
October 19th, 2011, 02:20
Thank you all for your help.
Converter is now working. Not sure which of the last two fixes made it work as I did them both then ran the converter, but all is well now.

Again thanks for the assistance.
D