PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon World Actual Play Report

VenomousFiligree
October 16th, 2011, 00:48
I've just finished running my first session of Dungeon World, using a purpose built extension for the Foundation Core ruleset. I'll be posting my thoughts here for the Game, the Ruleset and the Extension and also be asking the players to post too. I shall also link to the Dungeon World / Story Games forums for game specific clarifications.

VenomousFiligree
October 16th, 2011, 00:49
(I will cross post to Story Games / Dungeon World Forums)

So just had my first game of DW and I must say that I enjoyed it.

The game was played with myself and 4 players from the FG forums. Character creation had gone well and is posted as a separate Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KNGWM_eeTYpyOT-7MVcaPumz10IobUQAgs8Bny7y3ng/edit?hl=en_US). The chat log will be posted when I've “cleaned it up” ie fixed my horrendous spelling :) We were also using Skype, so the rules discussions were often done there, I'll try and remember those and comment on them. Screenshots can be seen here (https://picasaweb.google.com/101615573486204248039/DungeonWorldPlaytest).

(Chat log now here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sQERKsXVethflqalH7BYlvN3JkoESu_a64I0ZRTZ5JQ/edit?hl=en_US))

A brief summary of the events:

Fr Carmine and Tarim are talking in a bar, De'alist and Farleigh are both nearby. 4 thugs burst into the room looking for Fr Carmine and the lead Half Orc Thug attempts to take him hostage. A fight ensues whereby the Player Characters kill 3 of the Thugs and take one captive. A piece of leather is found in a locket worn by the Half Orc and questioning of the captive and the dead reveal that the Thugs were hired by Scarface Orcs to capture the Priest.

The next day the Play Characters head North on the trail of the Scarface Orcs, however they come across a camp of Orcs where a fight between two Orcs seems to be taking place. After a brief scrap Fr Carmine manages to dupe the Orcs into believeing he is working under the Orcs Leader Reekum.

To be continued...

I'm going to post without rereading the rules and had the following Dungeon World issues as a GM:

Sometimes I wanted to modifier the rolls for difficulty, can I?
Sometimes I wanted to see if things were noticed, but couldn't see how I could do this, ie have the player make a roll without them saying the fiction?
Often after one “round of combat” I wasn't sure how to move on to the next.
Can a aid / hinder roll be taken after the main roll?
Of note I was often asked to draw a map (see post here (https://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=15190&page=1#Item_12))
I had ruled that back stabbing with a precise weapon was Roll+dex

Ruleset / Extension issues:
One player commented on having duplicate icon buttons on the right hand side, only one player had this (they were lite, everyone else was full), I had seen this a couple of times when using a second instances as unregistered, however it went away when I logged out and back in.
Each time a player logged in the chat window was resized for one of the players

Rules:
A Player commented on why carouse was Con and not Cha, didn't look like there was enough Cha moves.

I'll pick out some of the issues here:

After reading a lot of the posts on Story Games and Dungeon World forums I acted as follows during a combat:

The three “Human Thugs” lunge with their knives at the people in the inn that had come to the defense of the Priest...
Tarim moves to pin his knife hand and control his body. - I took this as Hack and Slash, reacting to the move.
De'alist Stands up from the table, moving rather smoothly as he waves his hand toward the thug that came near. "Vel'Ros'e'na" (Magic Missile) – I took this as Defy Danger, then Cast a Spell.
Fr. Carmine picks up his stool and swings it at the nearest thug's head – I took this as accept the attack, then Hack and Slash (I wasn't comfortable with it and explained why – the fiction didn’t mention the incoming attack – and as it was the first combat we went with it).
Farleigh will dance lightly back into an open area, her rapier up and ready to parry and thrust – As this was said after the other three and she was a thief I allowed it to be converted to a backstab against one of the “Human Thugs” that were intent on the other PCs.

When Farleigh and De'alist infiltrated the camp I got into “standard RPG mode” and wanted to give information for a successful Notice roll – there appeared to be two groups of Orcs. If they didn't say any fiction that sounded like they would notice this, then I couldn't. On retrospect one of the players should have acted out Discern Realities, but they didn't at that time.

On a Defy Danger roll of 7-9, can the “worse outcome, hard bargain or ugly choice” be ignored if the action that caused the Defy danger to be rolled is reconsidered?

On two occasions I broke the rule “Always Say – What The Rules Demand”, however I felt it was justified and made sure that the Player new that I had done so, something of greater power caused the spell Speak with Dead to fail.

curson
October 17th, 2012, 22:46
Hi,
Your ruleset looks great !
Will you make it available for download ? I'm curently planning a FG Dungeon World session (1st play for me and players). That ruleset would help for sure :)

inawkwardscience
November 19th, 2012, 07:32
I to would be interested in a download of the ruleset.

hawkwind
November 20th, 2012, 13:08
I would be interested in playing in any future Dungeon World games on Fantasy Grounds

inawkwardscience
November 20th, 2012, 13:49
It looks like Murgh may be MIA. I sent him a pm and no response. When you do a Google search he has several examples of play at various sites (even screenshots) but no sign of a download for the rule set.

Trenloe
November 20th, 2012, 21:13
It looks like Murgh may be MIA.
If you click on a user name next to a post and select "View Public Profile" you will see the last activity they did on this site - for MurghBpurn this was in August this year. So, yeah, looks like he's MIA - hopefully only for a while...

inawkwardscience
November 21st, 2012, 18:20
I see that, thank you. Unfortunately, he doesn't have an email on display in his profile either. Oh well, here's hoping he shows in the future.

VenomousFiligree
November 24th, 2012, 08:28
Hi, thanks for your interest. It was a very basic ruleset and not sure if it'll work with the current version. I'm away from my desktop until Monday, I'll see if I can dig it out then.

inawkwardscience
November 25th, 2012, 10:48
Great:) thanks

VenomousFiligree
March 22nd, 2013, 04:27
Sorry for such a delay. I've found two directories, do with them as you wish.

S Ferguson
March 23rd, 2013, 22:02
Thanks! I will delve much deeper with this.:)

neuralnoise
August 8th, 2013, 21:31
I come too late but if you read it, first : thanks a lot for the extension, I used it to build an Apocalypse Worlds ruleset, second : can you also share the library you are using ?

Jingo
August 24th, 2013, 21:30
Sorry for such a delay. I've found two directories, do with them as you wish.

I love Dungeon World. How do I get this to work in FG II ?

VenomousFiligree
August 24th, 2013, 22:38
neuralnoise, I will see what I have on my desktop when I'm back on it next week.
Jingo, I'm not sure if this will work with the latest version and I'm not currently developing it.

Trenloe
August 25th, 2013, 02:18
I love Dungeon World. How do I get this to work in FG II ?
The two zip files in post #11 are extensions that run on top of the Foundations Core ruleset. You can download this ruleset from: https://github.com/joshuha/Fantasy-Grounds-foundations-core

Click the "Download ZIP" button and once downloaded extract into the FG \rulesets directory.

Extract the two zip files above into your FG \extensions directory.

Start a new campaign with the Foundations Core ruleset and select either Dungeon World or Dungeon World 2 extension (not both) - the Dungeon World 2 extension seems to be further along the development path.

NOTE: as MurghBpurn says he is not developing it and you have to do with these as you wish. Even opening the character sheet gives an error in Fantasy Grounds V2.9.4 - so if you want to try to use these you will have to learn how to customise FG and work on them yourself - without pestering MurghBpurn for assistance!

VenomousFiligree
August 25th, 2013, 09:32
Thanks Trenloe, I'm on my ipad at the moment and couldn't remember what ruleset I'd used. It's been a while!

Brenn
August 25th, 2013, 18:00
I might see what I can do with this as I've been playing a hella lot of DW lately and it doesn't seem to be an overly complicated ruleset to do (on the surface) unlike my last endeavor with ORE which I got quite a ways with and is now in the hands of someone else who has the desire finish the task.

Though I might wait for 3.0 and the 'canon' base ruleset.