PDA

View Full Version : More Connection Pain

Dobly
October 9th, 2011, 07:56
I've only last week bought the full version of Fantasy grounds with a few of my friends. We would be rolling angry dice right now if not for a stupid connection problem

Here are the facts.

If I host a game, my friend can join it.

If any of them host a game, I cannot join any of them.

My PC has a static internal IP. FantasyGround.exe has a rules in the Windows Firewall to allow connection on ANY port

The router has ports 1802 and 1803 for good measure directed to my internal IP.

If I hit the Run Test button in the load campaign screen, it fails

If I tried to join a game, by IP or alias, it fails.

If I disable the windows Firewall

- The Run Test button Succeeds

- But I still cannot connect to my friends game. Clicking the Join Game button and entering either my buddies IP or the Alias he set up, and I get this error.

"Could not connect to the host. Check the address and try again"

(Might I add there that this is an utterly useless error message).How about an error message that explains exactly what is wrong. And it it can't fix it itself, it gives you step by step instructions on how to fix the issue.

If I host a game CanYouSeeMe.org reports that it cannot connect if I have the windows firewall running.

If i host a game CanYouSeeMe.org report that it CAN see me, if I have disabled window firewall. Despite that I cannot connect to my buddies game. :cry:

It just should not be so hard!!!. Connecting to a remote server is THE reason Fantasy Grounds exists. Without that, it is useless.

Any help would be appreciated

Trenloe
October 9th, 2011, 08:26
Hey Dobly,

All of the tests YouCanSeeMe etc are only if you are hosting a game - they don't apply if you need to connect to your friend.

Your friend needs to do the router checks, youcanseeme, etc, etc - as it is them who are hosting the game and so need to make sure you can connect to them on port 1802.

Dobly
October 9th, 2011, 08:27
Update:

I have fixed at least the Run Test issue with Windows Firewall. The rules that Fantasy grounds had put in there were set to Private and Domain.. I ticked the Public button and the Run Test returns success. That something at least.

I can still not connect to my buddies server.

While trying to connect I ran CurrPorts. It reported that my pc on local port 2409 was connected on Remote Port 1802 to my buddies IP address.. That is, it seems to be finding the server in question, but just not connecting.

Run Test works.

Seeing the server it seems. (Even I I use the alias to that server)

Still does not connect.

Dobly
October 9th, 2011, 08:29
Hey Dobly,

All of the tests YouCanSeeMe etc are only if you are hosting a game - they don't apply if you need to connect to your friend.

Your friend needs to do the router checks, youcanseeme, etc, etc - as it is them who are hosting the game and so need to make sure you can connect to them on port 1802.

We have another friend who also just got the full license. He has no problem connecting to the server in question.

If this other friend hosts a game, my buddy can connect to it. I can't connect to it. I can't connect to either.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2011, 08:33
We have another friend who also just got the full license. He has no problem connecting to the server in question.

If this other friend hosts a game, my buddy can connect to it. I can't connect to it. I can't connect to either.

Some people have reported issues in the past if they copy/paste the IP address/alias into FG. Try typing this in manually - it may work, but it's a long shot.

Also, if your computer has been running for a while (over a few hours) I'd reboot it - just worth another go.

If your friends can all connect to each other, then there may be some weird QoS setting on your router that is preventing you from connecting properly. However, these issues usually show as you connecting OK, but then dropping out.

Dobly
October 9th, 2011, 09:36
Some people have reported issues in the past if they copy/paste the IP address/alias into FG. Try typing this in manually - it may work, but it's a long shot.

Oh, man that would be awesome and about as far as I know the only thing left to do that i have not tried.

I'm not on the PC in question now, but I'll be on in a few hours from now. Can't wait to try that one. I have always copied and pasted the IP and Alias into the box in question.

Dobly
October 9th, 2011, 11:30
Tried 'typing' in the IP, then the alias. Neither worked.

My router does not have UPnP.. But it does have Port Triggering. I set that up with port 1802. That did not work either.

I've been working on this issue for 3 days now. Over half of the time I have had the full license.

Zeus
October 9th, 2011, 12:08
@Dobly: I'd check to make sure you do not have rogue fantasygrounds.exe processes running in the background and also check your network setup on your PC. Are you running multiple network interfaces or a VPN of some sort?

Also, if you need assiastance hosting or connecting to FGII games, switch over to the FGII IRC Chat channel (https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/) and one of the community members will assist. It's usually easier to find the issue on chat. DrZ.

Dobly
October 9th, 2011, 14:03
The solution of sorts was found in Hamachi.

My buddy and I installed it and voila, I could connect via his Hamachi IP address.

That'll do. I don't care now what the Firewall, port, router, magic, issue was. Time for some adventuring.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on what the problem could have been. And to anyone else having connection issues, Hamachi!

dr_venture
October 10th, 2011, 00:55
Hey Dobly, I was going to suggest Hamachi, but happily you found it already! I had gone through the port forwarding routine 2 or 3 times with very patient FG community members, and nobody could figure out the issue. I was left with trying to get my ISP to check into the port 1802 issue on their end, but I'm way out in the mountains, and my ISP is *a* guy who kinda knows enough about what he's doing to get a series of wireless antenas running. I was starting to get desperate, then tried Hamachi - boom - everything worked as advertised! I've been hosting sessions with players on the US west coast & in Vietnam with no problems.

I agree - if the standard port forwarding and other misc. networking fixes aren't a solution, the next logical step I'd suggest is Hamachi - simple, efective, and *free*.

Dobly
October 10th, 2011, 04:35
I agree - if the standard port forwarding and other misc. networking fixes aren't a solution, the next logical step I'd suggest is Hamachi - simple, efective, and *free*.

Yeah, we got Hitachi, , installed (with a DC check of 2) ;) and in no time flat we were having our first dabble with the 3.5E combat system. Man, we have not played DnD for about 12 years. What a freaking hoot this is going to be.

This morning I had a quick google on potential Hitachi security issues. One that came up (that applies to any VPN) is go to the Virtual Adapter that Hitachi creates and disable File and Printer sharing. Good idea me thinks.