PDA

View Full Version : Basic Charsheet Help

Brianide
October 8th, 2011, 17:36
I'm looking to create a simple M&M 3E sheet with things like numeric fields for ability scores, a full skills page, and space for powers and advantages. I imagine that I can copy/paste a lot of this from existing rulesets and do some simple editing, but I'm new to the FG setup and I could use some guidance. I don't want anything fancy - just data entry that we can use like physical character sheets. I looked over the ruleset documentation, but it doesn't really detail how to start a new ruleset. I'm starting with the base ruleset. Can anyone give me a few tips or point me in the right direction?

Valarian
October 8th, 2011, 17:44
Somewhere there's the "anatomy of a ruleset", which is a great place to start. Have you tried the wiki, I think it was put up on there

Valarian
October 8th, 2011, 18:41
Here you go: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Anatomy_of_a_Ruleset

Brianide
October 8th, 2011, 21:27
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Brianide
October 9th, 2011, 15:16
The editing is going well, but I can't figure out how to remove tabs from the 3.5 ruleset. Any idea what file I'm looking for? I figured it'd be in base.xml or charsheet.xml, but removing the includes doesn't take away the tab and just causes errors.

Brianide
October 9th, 2011, 17:37
Also, where are the datastores? I want to edit the skill list, but I can't find where they are.

Valarian
October 9th, 2011, 18:20
The tabs are in the charsheet_toplevel.xml file. The subwindow sections define the tabs and the windowclass related to them. The tab entries and the buttongroup are the tabs themselves down the right hand size. Remove tab entries and the tabs become blank and disabled. Edit the height of the tab buttoncontrol and the tabs disappear from view.

<subwindow name="main">
<bounds>0,0,-1,-22</bounds>
<class>charsheet_main</class>
</subwindow>
<subwindow name="combat">
<bounds>0,0,-1,-22</bounds>
<class>charsheet_combat</class>
</subwindow>

<buttongroup_tabs name="tabs">
<bounds>-22,50,18,492</bounds>
<tab>
<icon>tab_main</icon>
<subwindow>main</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>tab_combat</icon>
<subwindow>combat</subwindow>
</tab>

Skills are listed in data_common.lua which is found in the scripts folder.

Brianide
October 9th, 2011, 18:52
Wonderful. Thanks for the support.

Brianide
October 9th, 2011, 19:18
Hmm... I've changed the data_common file to have the skill list I want, but the old values are still appearing when I run FG.

Valarian
October 9th, 2011, 19:42
Try creating a new character. The old values will have been loaded and stored in the db.xml in the campaign folder. This is the local datastore for the campaign, which holds characters, npcs, story items, etc.

Brianide
October 9th, 2011, 19:55
Ok, with a new character, I get a blank skills page. It doesn't like my skills list for some reason. Do I only need to define my new skills in data_common, or is there another place they need to be listed?

I tried replacing the old skills file, and I still can't get any skills to show up. Don't know what I messed up.

EDIT:

I deleting the reference to the script, so it's semi-working now. I may need to cut some stuff out of the script, since I've removed some fields from the skills page.

Brianide
October 9th, 2011, 21:31
Got it. Thanks again for the help!

Brianide
October 10th, 2011, 00:25
Ok, last thing for now, I promise. Do you know where the default values for ability scores are stored? I need to default them to 0.

EDIT

My friend found it. All good.

Brianide
October 12th, 2011, 01:45
New issue: I can run my ruleset just fine, but if I create a campaign and then try to load it, I get "Could not load ruleset root file (base.xml)." My base.xml file is right in the ruleset folder where it should be. Is there a script or something the points to it on a campaign load that I might have deleted?

Valarian
October 12th, 2011, 14:10
Does this happen every time? I've had that message come up occasionally, especially after a crash. Check that the file is under the rulesets/<ruleset-name> folder - that there's not another level involved.

Brianide
October 12th, 2011, 14:20
I can manage characters under the ruleset, and I can start a new campaign, but if I try to load a campaign, I get the error. Base.xml is sitting right inside the ruleset folder. I started with the D&D 3.5 ruleset and simply modded some files, so nothing has changed position.