PDA

View Full Version : Server down by any chance?

Talen
October 8th, 2011, 04:10
Any chance the FG server is down? Im getting connection errors which I havent received since....well, ever. Hoping there's a temporary server issue and not something I need to troubleshoot. *crosses fingers*

Trenloe
October 8th, 2011, 04:32
Any chance the FG server is down? Im getting connection errors which I havent received since....well, ever. Hoping there's a temporary server issue and not something I need to troubleshoot. *crosses fingers*

Are you using an alias or giving your players your "external" IP address?

The FG server is used for alias-to-external IP address mapping. If there's a problem with using an alias, try temporarily providing your IP address to the players. Hard if you only communicate via text once logged into FG!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the FG server is also used for checking Ultimate licence validity too.

Talen
October 8th, 2011, 04:59
I've tried both....but I guess you answered my question if the fg server is only relevant if connecting via alias or using an ultimate license (which I don't use). I get a failure when I run the connection test from the launcher. Not sure why Im getting that now when I never did in the past. Antivirus hasn't changed, nor has my hardware. Ug.

Trenloe
October 8th, 2011, 05:03
I've tried both....but I guess you answered my question if the fg server is only relevant if connecting via alias or using an ultimate license (which I don't use). I get a failure when I run the connection test from the launcher. Not sure why Im getting that now when I never did in the past. Antivirus hasn't changed, nor has my hardware. Ug.

Did you manually setup port forwarding on your router to forward to your internal IP address or are you relying on UPnP?

If you set it up manually, make sure your internal FG server IP address hasn't changed.

If relying on UPnP, make sure the Internal Address reported by FG is actually correct (it might not be if you have multiple network connections - even disabled ones). And, also log into your router admin web page and check that UPnP is still enabled - it shouldn't have changed, but you never know...

Talen
October 8th, 2011, 05:31
It appears the multiple network connections was the problem! I had an ethernet connection that was wonky so I was relying on my wireless n connection. Once I unplugged the ethernet connection, I was able to connect. Thanks again for being my FG sherpa of late.