PDA

View Full Version : An update to the old classic Village of Hommlet

dr_venture
October 6th, 2011, 21:57
I'm in a very retro mood lately - gaming with old AD&D friends from high school, so I'm reviving the old classic Hommlet/Temple of Elemental Evil, run in Castles & Crusades. I'm making a C&C module out of it for FG - anyone interested in seeing it when it's done (and owns a copy, of course) PM me. In the meantime, here my new version of Hommlet:

dr_venture
October 6th, 2011, 22:07
I figure the unfarmed areas around the village are fields left fallow. Also, since one of the shadow relief maps I used for terrain was of a particularly smooth area of mars, but still had a scattering of tiny craters, I left them in and put raw earth around them, figuring that the stone mason that lives near the castle's foundations is removing suitable rocks from the surrounding area for use in his trade. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I left the tiered layers of earth as Gygax roughly drew them - my little wink to him, and hey, we actually have some land formations like that near my place. Yeah, that's it.

StuartW
October 6th, 2011, 22:11
Brings back nearly as many memories as Keep on the Borderlands...

Great work *hats off*

Stuart

leozelig
November 20th, 2011, 18:48
dr_v, awesome map!

I made one for the village of Orlane recently (N1). It has a similar style actually, maybe I'll post it sometime. It's always good to see other people's work - I find it makes my own maps better...

unerwünscht
November 21st, 2011, 21:27
That's very nice work. I have been thinking about running a Temple game again sometime soon.

damned
November 21st, 2011, 22:51
hey doc - would love to see the module when complete

Trenloe
November 21st, 2011, 23:57
And then you could run us through it - Hurray! :)

JohnD
March 24th, 2012, 01:35
Very nice.

madman
March 24th, 2012, 04:14
I was working on a pathfinder conversion for T1-4, This will make a nice addition to what I have.

Thanks

Chris

dr_venture
March 24th, 2012, 19:02
Hey Madman (or anyone else, for that matter), my players are heading towards Hommlet soon - if you guys have any of the non-village maps worked up, send me a PM... thanks!

JohnD
March 25th, 2012, 00:07
This takes me back many years... good memories, good times.

ted.wallerstedt
June 2nd, 2015, 00:24

Me too.

vikingbrad
June 9th, 2015, 13:22
This takes me back many years... good memories, good times.

I'd love to see some of the DND classic module as easy to download, ready-to-run DND 5E editions around the $4.99 mark.

Wonder if Smiteworks wants to talk to WoTC about that.

I'm guessing the conversion would have to be done by community either gratis or small compensation per module sold.

modnar
September 17th, 2015, 01:45
I'd love to see some of the DND classic module as easy to download, ready-to-run DND 5E editions around the $4.99 mark.

Wonder if Smiteworks wants to talk to WoTC about that.

I'm guessing the conversion would have to be done by community either gratis or small compensation per module sold.

I second it.

Would be great if Par5e was possibly more a system tool, versus user generated (with dev blessings)

damned
September 17th, 2015, 04:42
I second it.

Would be great if Par5e was possibly more a system tool, versus user generated (with dev blessings)

The easiest way to make modules is to do it from within FG and use the export. Yes - you cant export Quests or Effects (although you can now with a neat extension from Trenloe) and a couple of other minor things but you can do very functional adventure mods from within FG. At this point you are unlikely to see non Wizards 5e stuff for sale HERE until the Wizards announce their strategy for 3rd party materials.