PDA

View Full Version : Quick features extension for SW3

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2011, 20:28
Here's a quick features extension that I threw together for the SavageWorlds3 ruleset. I doubt it works for v3.2, but hopefully, phantomwhale can potentially use some of the code.

Add Notice, Stealth, Fighting, Shooting and Throwing rolls to front of character sheet.
Add bonus list per weapon (just right click the weapon type icon and select Bonuses)
GM can drag portraits onto PC list to change PC portraits
GM can drag benny token onto PC list to add benny to a PC
Bennies available for each PC shown on PC list
Clicking on bennies stack area in PC list will reset bennies to start of session amount (3 + Edges/Hindrances).
Bennies can also be reset via right click menu on PC list.

Cheers,
JPG

joshuha
October 6th, 2011, 20:34
How are you and your group taking to Savage Worlds btw?

phantomwhale
October 6th, 2011, 21:31
Getting all those into the main ruleset is a no-brainer, especially weapon bonuses as they are already there !

Front page character sheet skills is possible the only point of contention - e.g. we hardly touch stealth at all, so would be less likely to put it up front, but common knowledge gets thrown out a lot. I guess we've grown used to using hotkeys for this. Also, you can double click the weapon icons for fast weapon rolling, which looks up the fighting / shooting / throwing skill (as appropriate) and rolls them using the weapon name.

What do other people think ?

VenomousFiligree
October 6th, 2011, 22:07
Having the bar customisable would be good. As mentioned fighting, shooting and throwing aren't needed as they can be rolled from the icons. Notice might get some use.

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2011, 23:22
No worries on whether you want to use or not. These came about from my player requests during the game.

Of course, I didn't even realize that you could roll the attack rolls from the weapon entries until I tried to add it myself.

On the question on what should go on front, my players found it annoying to constantly flip back and forth between front page and skills page during the game. So, I was looking for a way to make their traits, common skills and weapons all on the same page. I definitely agree that my approach is not very pretty and probably not the best approach, but that is the problem I was trying to solve. In our Zombie Run campaign, they have been using physical force, so it's primarily been weapon skills plus Notice/Stealth and Driving.

Maybe another mini sheet that condenses all the rolls onto a single page (attributes, skills, weapons), as well as having common skills or Untrained option.

Joshuha, I think that my players are really enjoying the change of pace and genre. I'm not sure if SW has the depth to hold their attention yet, as the Zombie Run mini-campaign is definitely a short-term project. Our next session will be the last part of Zombie Run (4th session), so I will hear back from them after we wrap up as we plan our next game.

Regards,
JPG

Doswelk
October 7th, 2011, 00:10
My players and I have never missed skills on front sheet, we just use mini sheet and shortcuts, will have to take a look (though I suspect I'll have to downgrade to 3.1 to test :) )

phantomwhale
October 10th, 2011, 13:36
Have got the following in for 3.2

Add bonus list per weapon (just right click the weapon type icon and select Bonuses)
GM can drag portraits onto PC list to change PC portraits
GM can drag benny token onto PC list to add benny to a PC
Bennies available for each PC shown on PC list
Clicking on bennies stack area in PC list will reset bennies to start of session amount (3 + Edges/Hindrances).
Bennies can also be reset via right click menu on PC list.

I've missed off "Add Notice, Stealth, Fighting, Shooting and Throwing rolls to front of character sheet." as there is probably more discussion and design needed before adding something like that into the core ruleset.

Also need to see if I'll have time to promote an equivalent behaviour to DL:R for the next release - it's a little more complex, due to fate chip pool size.

VenomousFiligree
October 10th, 2011, 18:16
Wow, you've been busy, nice work! :D

zackspacks
October 22nd, 2011, 10:59
Of course, I didn't even realize that you could roll the attack rolls from the weapon entries until I tried to add it myself.Yikes ! Nor did I:o

Actually, with the new version, will there be a new manual, as it looks like a lot of the old features will be radically changed ( for the better, I might add )

Going back to moon_wizard's skill topic though : our group would find this useful, as one of the plot point campaigns we play is Realms Of Cthulhu, using the normal SW set of course, and it is heavily skill orientated. However with a slight addendum, it would be nice to be able to customise which skills went onto the front sheet, as in RoC they would often be knowledge skills. Our current modus operandi is to have them all thrown into the hotkeys, but that quickly becomes confusing as to whether you are on the shift- or alt- set, so you tend to give up and click on the skills page of the char sheet as it is quicker. Having no understanding of FG2 innards, this could be a nightmare suggestion of course:D

cheers
Paul

Doswelk
October 22nd, 2011, 11:47
I'll do some videos... just started in fact! :)

phantomwhale
October 23rd, 2011, 00:54
Actually, with the new version, will there be a new manual, as it looks like a lot of the old features will be radically changed ( for the better, I might add )

There is an OLD manual somewhere ?!? ;)

I wrote a 3.1 patch guide (showing what had changed only) for the previous SWEX release, and a full manual for DL:R 1.0

Currently my intention is to get DL:R manual patched up for 1.1 (which is simply a release to keep it compatible with SWEX 3.2, so a minor revision I expect).

I am aware that SWEX doesn't have a proper manual currently - currently a lot of the changes going into the new release means it works "like 4E does" so I was hoping to lean on the 4E documentation in the meantime (although not sure what documentation there is, as I don't play 4E).

Would be good if documenting the ruleset was some sort of group project, via a wiki, but suspect that might not produce something of sufficient quality in the long term...