PDA

View Full Version : Adding charster portraits

anmay73
October 6th, 2011, 15:02
Welcome all!

This is my first post on the forum. I've been using maptool for the past 3 years and my group switched to playing Savage Worlds. I wasn't impressed with the campaign file that maptool had and didn't want to build my own. My search lead me to FG2 and the support for Savage Worlds.

Well 1 ultimate license and here I am. I have a few questions if anyone has time.
1) Where is the portrait file location. The tutorial mention that you need only put png images in the folder and they will show up when you make the character. Can't find this file, it's not in the root or installation folder.
2) Same for map images. I copied numerous images into the image folder but they do not show in the image section of the program.
3) I had numerous problems with port forwarding with maptool and licked the problem. However, I tried to connect with friends last night with no success. I have the ultimate and they were on the free version. My understanding is this should work. Any suggestions?
4) once your character is made how do you save it.

I know these are newb questions, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

joshuha
October 6th, 2011, 15:15
Welcome all!
1) Where is the portrait file location. The tutorial mention that you need only put png images in the folder and they will show up when you make the character. Can't find this file, it's not in the root or installation folder.
2) Same for map images. I copied numerous images into the image folder but they do not show in the image section of the program.
3) I had numerous problems with port forwarding with maptool and licked the problem. However, I tried to connect with friends last night with no success. I have the ultimate and they were on the free version. My understanding is this should work. Any suggestions?
4) once your character is made how do you save it.

Thanks

Portraits are controlled on the client side. The default location should be Start menu -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder -> Portraits.
Images should be in the campaign folder on the host side.The default location should be Start menu -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder -> [campaign name] -> Images
If you are sure you have 1802 forwarded correctly (does Fantasy Grounds report it is ok? What about a port scanner on a site like pcflank.com) then make sure your players choose Unlicensed option in the full installer here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsII-Setup.exe and NOT the demo version
If the players make the character while connected to the host it is save in the DB.xml file on the host machine in the campaign folder.

anmay73
October 6th, 2011, 18:34
Excellent!

Thanks for the quick response. Everything worked.

Yes my group did download the wrong version.

VenomousFiligree
October 6th, 2011, 22:29
My search lead me to FG2 and the support for Savage Worlds.
You will definitely enjoy the FG SW experience! :D

If you have any suggestions on improving the SW ruleset be sure to post them here (https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/), you can see the progress of the next release of SW here (https://sw4fg2.tumblr.com/).

Doswelk
October 7th, 2011, 00:13
My search lead me to FG2 and the support for Savage Worlds.

AH! another Savage! Welcome!

If you have not seen them yet you might find my SW FGII videos useful (they were for an earlier version but most of it still works).

They can be found here... (https://www.furiousdice.com/video.html)

Enjoy SW and FGII :D

anmay73
October 11th, 2011, 03:50
Thanks for the videos they were helpful!

New questions how do you add tokens?

I went to the app data folder and looked for the tokens folder and none is there. Have they changed it to a different file name or is it located somewhere else?

Thanks

October 11th, 2011, 14:08
look in the appropriate campaign folder for a Token folder (with sub folders). Place the tokens in sub folders there.

anmay73
October 12th, 2011, 04:03
I looked in the campaign file and these are the folders shown:

Images
moduledb
usersettings

under user settings there is a file named tokens_anmay73 the anmay73 is my user name. I'm not sure where to go from here I have numerous tokens I'd like to copy into the campaign file from my days in maptool.

More to this point, I've been reading some of the other posts and it sounds like adding tokens to a campaign file slows down performance, is this the case?

Thanks for the help so far.

Doswelk
October 12th, 2011, 13:25
There have been some changes lately to FGII.

One seems to be that the letter tokens have turned into a module.

Not sure about impact of having tokens in campaign I hust tend to have them in a token folder in the FGII data folder.

I would just create a tokens folder (inside the application data folder - reached via the shortcut).

Inside that I have two more folders:

host - where I keep tokens I just want to have access to
shared - where I put tokens I want to share with players.

That's how I do it.

Whether that is no longer "best practice" I do not know :confused:

October 12th, 2011, 14:55
odd, mine also has folders titled: temp, masked images and tokens. As for slowing things down, i have no idea. As far as I know I have thde most up to date version of the software. The token folder has sub folders, each essentially representing one of the little "bags of tokens" that appear when the token window is opened on screen.

anmay73
October 12th, 2011, 21:35
Aghh success!

Thanks Doswelk.

I added those directories. I must say that was anything but intuitive. For budding newbs out there like myself following the User Guide on the web site lead me to a dead end. If it wasn't for Doswelk I would still be swimming for an answer.

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2011, 04:41
The tokens host and tokens shared directories are usually created by the installer, so you don't typically need to create them.

The directions for adding/removing tokens are in the online manual. Make sure to click to the "Adding and Removing Tokens" subsection.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_tokens.xcp

Regards,
JPG