PDA

View Full Version : Hidden roll information passing

Callum
October 4th, 2011, 14:27
My players have complained that, with v2.8 (which we all love, overall), they no longer see in the chat window when their characters take damage. I have GM rolls hidden, as always. Before v2.8, I used to drag the damage onto their character portraits, and a line of text would appear in the chat window - but this option doesn't seem to be available any more. Now, of course, the damage is automatically applied to the character, and as GM I can see the details, but the characters can't (and I can't drag it). Is there any way to enable them to see just the final result (the total damage dealt to them)?

Similarly, they now get more information than they used to (and than I would like) when they attack foes. The damage assignment text shows the full calculation of damage, which makes it immediately obvious what amount of DR a creature has. Ideally, I'd like the players to only see their own damage rolls, and not the final amount of damage applied to the foe.

In both of these situations, I'm really just trying to replicate how it would work if we were sitting around the table, and I was making my rolls behind a screen.

Thanks!

Trenloe
October 4th, 2011, 18:51
Similarly, they now get more information than they used to (and than I would like) when they attack foes. The damage assignment text shows the full calculation of damage, which makes it immediately obvious what amount of DR a creature has. Ideally, I'd like the players to only see their own damage rolls, and not the final amount of damage applied to the foe.
Change the "Game (GM)" option "Chat: Show results to client" to PC or Off. This will result in something like "Damage -> [Creature]" with no actual value of damage done. It also won't show whether the PC's attack hit or missed.

Description of this option is here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=111676&postcount=2)

Trenloe
October 4th, 2011, 19:16
My players have complained that, with v2.8 (which we all love, overall), they no longer see in the chat window when their characters take damage. I have GM rolls hidden, as always. Before v2.8, I used to drag the damage onto their character portraits, and a line of text would appear in the chat window - but this option doesn't seem to be available any more. Now, of course, the damage is automatically applied to the character, and as GM I can see the details, but the characters can't (and I can't drag it). Is there any way to enable them to see just the final result (the total damage dealt to them)?

This probably isn't a great work-around for you as it probably displays too much information. As GM, when the damage is rolled, left-click and drag the damage dice entry - you should see the total appear as a dragable number. Drop this dragable number anywhere within the chat window. It will send information about the damage done to all players. For example, I see:

Martin: [GM] Huecuva -> [DAMAGE (M)] Claw
[MULT:1.5] [TYPE: piercing,slashing,magic]

Plus the total damage.

There's a lot of info there. "Martin" is the GM name, "Huecuva" is the creature name, then all the damage details. I suppose it's probably nothing more than you'd say over the GM screen to a player.

Bit of a pain to keep having to drag and drop each time though, and it doesn't say who the damage has been applied to.

There could probably be something done to the manager_action_damage.lua script when the damage is applied to show some data to the players.

Callum
October 5th, 2011, 21:34
Change the "Game (GM)" option "Chat: Show results to client" to PC or Off. This will result in something like "Damage -> [Creature]" with no actual value of damage done. It also won't show whether the PC's attack hit or missed.
Thanks for the suggestion, Trenloe, but the automated display of whether the PCs' attacks hit or miss is one of the features that my players and I love.

Currently there are two lines of text sent to the chat window when damage is dealt by a PC:-

Denion -> [DAMAGE (M)] Agro Unholy Greatsword [MULT:1.5] [EFFECTS +6] [TYPE: slashing,magic,evil] [2d6+19 = 26]
Damage [16] -> [to Sword of Kyuss 3] [PARTIALLY RESISTED]

What I'd like is for the first to be visible to the players, but not the second.

This probably isn't a great work-around for you as it probably displays too much information. As GM, when the damage is rolled, left-click and drag the damage dice entry - you should see the total appear as a dragable number. Drop this dragable number anywhere within the chat window. It will send information about the damage done to all players.
Thanks for the tip, again, but you're right - that is too much info. It also shows the full damage rolled, which may be different to the damage dealt (because of DR, or energy resistance, for example).

Mirroring what I said above, when foes deal damage to PCs, I'd like the second line of text to be visible to the players, but not the first.

Callum
June 20th, 2013, 11:17
Can anyone tell me where in the 3.5E ruleset I can find the code that builds the text sent to the chat window for attack results (and, I guess, spell outcomes)? Adjusting this to match the tabletop experience is a priority for me, so I might try to write an extension myself the achieve it!

Moon Wizard
June 20th, 2013, 18:46
It's actually spread between several sections.

* scripts/manager_actions.lua = Framework for allowing other scripts to register roll types and handle basic processing.
* scripts/manager_action_X.lua (where X = attack, damage, etc.) = Individual scripts for registering roll types and defining behavior for building rolls, targeting, modifier processing and result processing.

The option to output the result to the client on line 720 in manager_actions. The option ID for Show results to clients is "SHRR".

If you need more detail, just let me know.

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
June 20th, 2013, 23:33
Thanks, JPG, I'll take a look.

JohnD
June 21st, 2013, 14:05
If you get this figured out, please consider sharing it as an extension if possible. This bothers me as well.

Callum
June 21st, 2013, 20:37
If I manage to get it done, John, I'll definitely share it!

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2013, 21:05
If you figure out how to get what you want, and I figure out what you have done, I may want to include it. ;)

JPG

Vishera
June 22nd, 2013, 05:19
could make for a good update

lachancery
June 24th, 2013, 13:05
Now, of course, the damage is automatically applied to the character, and as GM I can see the details, but the characters can't (and I can't drag it). Is there any way to enable them to see just the final result (the total damage dealt to them)?

Ideally, I'd like the players to only see their own damage rolls, and not the final amount of damage applied to the foe.
I'm not adding anything to help with the solution; that's also the behavior I would like to see.