PDA

View Full Version : Applying pathfinder effects

Talen
October 3rd, 2011, 22:32
I'm spoiled with 4e effects....is there an easy way to apply pf effects? Is there a working effects mod for the 2.8 ruleset?

Phystus
October 4th, 2011, 00:02
I haven't tried them in PF mode, but they work great in 3.5E mode.

There's some help pages in the Library that explain them.

~P

Trenloe
October 4th, 2011, 01:22
I'm spoiled with 4e effects....is there an easy way to apply pf effects? Is there a working effects mod for the 2.8 ruleset?

There was a conditions module that was floating around, but this just lists the names of the conditions covered off in the Effects -> Label: Conditions section of the 3.5E User Guide (access through "Library" link above).

Not sure exactly what Pathfinder effects you're looking for - but the effects system is now pretty close to the 4E ruleset, just use 'em like you do in 4E!

Talen
October 4th, 2011, 23:56
Hmmm....Im still missing something. For instance - if a pc or monster is blinded - is there an ability to drag a "blinded" condirion onto the entity on the tracker so that the -2 to AC, DEX from AC is rmeoved and -4 penalty to DEX and STR checks is automatically added? I suspect not, but hoping Im wrong.

Trenloe
October 5th, 2011, 00:25
Create an effect called "Blinded" (the effect name has to match the Status name from the "Label: Conditions" section of the User Guide I mentioned) in the "Effects" list (icon of a person in the top right).

Click-and-drag this onto the PC or NPC in the combat tracker.

The relevant mods will be made when skill rolls, attacks etc are made.

I can't find a link to the conditions module I mentioned here in the forums, so I've attached it here. If whoever created this has an issue with me doing this, please let me know and I'll remove it.

You can also add effects directly against PC spells - right-click on the spell entry in the Actions tab on the character sheet, select "Add Spell Action" -> "Add Effect" - enter the effect (either the status name or the actual results of the effect) and click the down-arrows on the right which then allows you to enter how the duration is calculated. You can either click-and-drag from here to entries on the combat tracker, or if the PC has one or more creatures targeted (either manually or as the result of hitting multiple targets/them failing their saving throw on a cast roll) then just double-click on the effect name and it will be applied to all targeted creatures.

Hope this is what you're looking for and helps with using effects...

Talen
October 5th, 2011, 01:49
This was exactly what I was looking for - thank you for taking the time to respond!

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2011, 23:48
A complete list of the supported Effects/Conditions is located in the online user manual. Make sure to explore the left hand menu to see all the information.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

Regards,
JPG

Talen
October 6th, 2011, 09:05
Digging a little deeper (for me): I'd like to add the effect for Bless (grants +1 to attack and plus 1 to saves against fear). If I right click on the spell name to "Add Spell Action" and then "Add Effect", I get a blank line. I then input the following "ATK :1; SAVE: 1 fear".

Questions:
1. Does this limit the +1 to saves against fear only?
2. Can I label this somehow to identify the effect as assoicated with Bless on the combat tracker?

Thanks for the help with this - it's been informative for me....I've never dug under the covers with the existing effects before!

Callum
October 6th, 2011, 10:12
You're almost there! You can add any text you like to identify effects - if it doesn't start with a known tag, FG just ignores it.

For the SAVE modifier, I believe the [save type] descriptor only includes fortitude, reflex, or will (though this isn't explicitly stated at the bottom of the "Label: Modifiers (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp)" table in the User Guide).

The thing you need to add is the bonus type, so that the bonuses stack properly. So I would go with the following:

Bless; ATK: 1 morale

I'm omitting the SAVE modifier, since I don't think you can specify fear effects only - this is one you'll just have to remember and apply when needed!

feldrol
December 4th, 2011, 20:04
Hello,
just to say that by using the effects in this module, the automated bonus/malus didn't show up.

By adding a semicolon ";" just after the name of the effect it worked great.

If it can help other people...

Trenloe
December 4th, 2011, 22:19
Hello,
just to say that by using the effects in this module, the automated bonus/malus didn't show up.

By adding a semicolon ";" just after the name of the effect it worked great.

If it can help other people...

Thanks for the info. But, for me it works fine without the ";" - As the GM, I just click and drag the effect name text from the Effects window to the relevant entry in the combat tracker, the effect then shows up within the PC/NPC entry in the CT. How are you applying the effects when they don't seem to work?

RyanRMC
December 24th, 2012, 20:43
Sorry to be a dunce once again, but when using that conditions mod, is it supposed to just list the names for all, and then I am required to enter the data manually? I unzipped it, loaded it into the /modules directory, then in FG2 set it from the library / module activation to open with a green check (so players could use them as well).

Now when I open my effects window, I get a list of all effect names, but all baselined. (IE VSBL, ALL, text just says Dazed, 0, RND). Was it supposed to be more filled in than this? I dont mind manually entering the information, but I wanted to make sure I was not skipping steps.

Thanks.

EDIT Adding Image, just for clarity: https://i.imgur.com/C67jt.png

Trenloe
December 24th, 2012, 23:42
This is a list of the built in conditions - see the "Label: Conditions" table here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp (scroll down to see the link at the bottom of the contents in the left).

Using the condition labels in this table automatically apply the effects in the "Modifiers Applied" column. e.g. just dragging "Pinned" to an entry in the CT will automatically apply the effects "GRANTCA, AC: -4" associated with that condition - you won't see them, but the system applies then to relevant rolls.

This module is handy as it allows you to just drag the condition to a PC/NPC and change the duration as required. It helps to avoid typo errors and speed up applying common conditions.

RyanRMC
December 25th, 2012, 05:09
Ok, thanks for the reply. I will test this out next time my players are on, see how it is working!

Trenloe
December 25th, 2012, 05:20
Ok, thanks for the reply. I will test this out next time my players are on, see how it is working!
If you need to test, you can connect a second instance of FG on the same PC as the GM instance - connect as a player (Join Game) and enter the host address as: localhost

This is a great tool to allow you to test what players see, run encounters, test effects, etc.

JerryRig
May 28th, 2014, 15:56
when i look at this page it only has the explantion of what makes up an effect ..no examples or anything.

A complete list of the supported Effects/Conditions is located in the online user manual. Make sure to explore the left hand menu to see all the information.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
May 28th, 2014, 16:03
when i look at this page it only has the explantion of what makes up an effect ..no examples or anything.
You need to click the sub-headings in the sidebar on the left to see the details.

Or, look at the new Wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects

Milke
August 13th, 2016, 21:39
All these mods with conditions, traits, more spells, creatures, etc.. this is all fantastic. I don't know how you guys do all this stuff. I would gladly pay for them, but since they're free, I won't complain.