PDA

View Full Version : Allowing players to zoom and pan the map

brainysi
October 2nd, 2011, 11:13
Hello folks,

Is there a way to allow players to zoom/pan their local map ?
In my group we use a variety of laptops/netbooks with resolution ranging from 1024x600 to 1920x1080 and when we use large (as in 200 square radius) battlegrounds the players with the netbooks (low resolution) can't really tell anything from the map and the dm gets quickly frustrated from all the requests to zoom here, pan here ...

Thanks for taking you time to read this.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2011, 12:36
I'm not aware of any way to allow the players to zoom. But, you can pan and lock the pan as follows:

- Pan as normal - left-click on the pan icon (cross in the bottom right of the image).
- When the image has panned to where you want it, keep the left mouse button down and move the cursor back over the pan icon.
- Right-click in the centre of the pan icon and the image will be locked at this new location.

Sometimes if you didn't click completely in the centre of the pan icon the image may be moving slightly afterwards. Just left-click on the pan icon and it will stop moving.

This doesn't seem to be a specifically designed feature, but it does work... :)

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2011, 18:10
This is one of my top features that I want to see, but it is fairly involved which is why I haven't had a chance to rework this portion of the product yet. The original developers made the conscious choice that the GM should have absolute control over the player's view of a map. I don't share that view (especially with masking being available), so it's on my target list for the next major update.

Currently, whenever the GM shares or reshares a map, the player views will be resized and zoomed to match the GM. Once the map is open, the player can resize the map by CTRL+dragging the lower right corner of the image window, but the size will reset the next time the GM reshares the map.

For now, as a GM, I've gotten into the habit of sizing the maps on my screen fairly small so that people on laptops can fit them on their screen.

Regards,
JPG

dplehwalder
December 3rd, 2011, 00:36
I would also like this feature. I just got part of my D&D group (4 of us)to buy this product and its the biggest complaint so far.

As a DM I have lots of control and I have 24" monitors so I like to use them, problem is that one of the guys who also dm's has a much smaller monitor and with the map forcing views it gets annoying. Would be so awesome as a player to have full control.

dr_venture
December 4th, 2011, 00:44
You know, in the short term, until players are given their own control over the map zoom & size, I'd love the ability to somehow set the map size based on the smallest game participant's screen. Or maybe a simpler short-term fix would be a GM option that wouldn't allow shared windows to be sized larger than the smallest game participant's window.

Perhaps even simpler: an option that toggles on/off a dotted red line on the GM's screen for shared windows that represents the boundaries of the smallest screen... at least you'd have an idea of the kind of space you had to work with. Perhaps a line that represents the smallest height, as well as a line that represents the smallest width, since different aspect ratios could result in 2 different screens defining the smallest height & width.

Anyways... just sayin.

Moebius
December 5th, 2011, 12:00
I use the opposite approach. I make the map huge (In 2.8.1 max image frame size is really big) so the map is actually way larger than the screen size, instead of panning the map the players just move the frame around.