PDA

View Full Version : The One Ring

Valarian
October 2nd, 2011, 09:29
I'm currently trying to get a character sheet together for a game of The One Ring - the new Middle Earth RPG from Cubicle 7.

This is the first tab. I'm building on to Joshuha's new Foundation Core. The intention will be to package this up as an extension for that ruleset once completed.

VenomousFiligree
October 2nd, 2011, 09:40
Looks Good! :)

I'll have to nab that when you've finished it.

Valarian
October 2nd, 2011, 09:50
Little too cluttered? There's a lot on that first tab. I'm trying to get as much as possible as on the published sheet and intend to duplicate fields on other tabs where relevant.

VenomousFiligree
October 2nd, 2011, 12:49
Not too cluttered for me, I'm taking a similar approach with my Dungeon World (https://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=2005.0) sheet - get as much on as possible!

Badgers
October 3rd, 2011, 10:16
Looks good to me.

Valarian
October 6th, 2011, 10:43
Page 2 of the character sheet .. the combat tab. Currently has a cludged method of drawing the underlines for weapon skills. The underline used on the first page only seems to work for static text stringcontrols. I'll amend this when I can.

Valarian
October 6th, 2011, 16:17
Page 3 - Rewards and Virtues
Page 4 - Inventory
Page 5 - Fellowship Notes

Valarian
October 6th, 2011, 16:19
Page 6 - Tale of Years
Page 7 - Character Notes
Combat Page - showing dice handling

Still not got the dice handler removing 1 to 3 on the d6s if the character is weary. That's still to come.

VenomousFiligree
October 6th, 2011, 22:01
Looking good :)

What's the availability of this going to be?

Valarian
October 7th, 2011, 07:08
Don't know yet, trying to contact Cubicle 7

pelinorerevived
October 7th, 2011, 18:10
I wonder if it's possible to change the dice icons in the chat box so that they show the runes on the dice?

Valarian
October 7th, 2011, 19:32
They show the result of the die roll. Zero for the Eye of Sauron and 10 for the Gandalf G-rune. You can't put a mask over the dice icons currently.

joshuha
October 7th, 2011, 20:06
Well you could change the background image the number is written over. However, you can only do this for the built-in die types so if you had a system that didn't use say the d20 you could set that background graphic to a different icon, intercept the die rolls and if you were to roll the Sauron switch it to that kind of dice to give a different background to the number. Not quite the same effect and this only works if you have built-in die you aren't using.

Valarian
October 7th, 2011, 21:15
That's an idea. The game pretty much uses a d12 and several d6s. It would be possible to swap out an image of the d20 and d4 (for example). Might give it a whirl and see what it looks like.

Valarian
October 7th, 2011, 21:52
Examples below. With and without a d12 underlay. Not sure myself. I think I prefer the simple d12 showing the result after adjustment.

pelinorerevived
October 7th, 2011, 22:00
I like the first one better, but the numerals ruin the image. Is it not possible to not give a numeral based on the roll of an 11 or 12?

Valarian
October 7th, 2011, 22:03
Not really, you need the number in order to make up the total correctly. It's not too visible on the first graphic, but you can just about make out the numbers. On the second, the numbers stand out against the black d12.

Matchstick
October 10th, 2011, 21:12
I think the first one looks pretty good. That way you get the total, plus the summary of all the symbols.

Valarian
October 14th, 2011, 12:59
The character sheet is going to get its first real play this weekend. I'm going to be running the introductory adventure with the pre-gen characters in our group's Sunday slot. So far, I've got three (maybe four) players out of a possible six. I'm using a FG2 Ultimate license, so if anyone is interested in joining in they would be welcome.

Zeus
October 14th, 2011, 21:05
I'd like to join if you have a place open still, Valarian. I can make a start from 8pm GMT. PM me the details if OK.

Also, willing to lend a hand to the development of the extension, if your of need of another pair of hands.

Valarian
October 14th, 2011, 22:00
I've got six players signed up from the group. That's the pre-gen slots, though I've created another character as a test of character generation, so there's that one available. I'm sure we can squeeze you in. Will be a big group if everyone turns up, with 7 players.

Any good with the combat tracker? It's the area I really struggle with and could do with the help. Character sheets and NPC sheets are easy by comparison.

Zeus
October 14th, 2011, 23:59
Great. I have been looking forward to playing in Middle-earth again since I saw the game at Leisure Games in NW London and picked up the book + PDF set. That was a while ago but I haven't gotten around to reading them or setting up a game yet.

I guess I had better read the adventurer's book and gen up on the game mechanics and rules. I'll hold off reading the Loremaster's book until we have completed the introductory adventure.

As to development, Combat Tracker shouldn't be a problem (famous last words right).

I do know the 4E one pretty well and that ones pretty complex. I'm also pretty comfortable with FGII's API, the database structure and coding more complex functionality like new controls objects, client/server messaging etc. etc. So I am pretty confident it shouldn't be a technical challenge, more life challenging in so much as finding the time to do it quickly.

What kind of functionality would you like to include and what data from PC/NPC sheets would you like linked to the entries?

Given you have greater familiarity with the rules of the game and its mechanics at this stage, if you can sketch out the overall features you would like to achieve, I can then work out how best to approach implementing the support features for the CT.

Valarian
October 15th, 2011, 10:52
I guess I had better read the adventurer's book and gen up on the game mechanics and rules. I'll hold off reading the Loremaster's book until we have completed the introductory adventure.
Might be a help, but the game is to go through the intro adventure and see what the rules play like. This'll be the first game I've run using the rules. The other players don't necessarily have the rules, so I'll be taking things slowly and bringing people up to speed as we go.

I do know the 4E one pretty well and that ones pretty complex. I'm also pretty comfortable with FGII's API, the database structure and coding more complex functionality like new controls objects, client/server messaging etc. etc. So I am pretty confident it shouldn't be a technical challenge ...
I've based the character sheet on Joshuha's Foundation Core, so the combat tracker will be the 4e version.

... more life challenging in so much as finding the time to do it quickly.
Aye, don't I just know it. :)
There's no rush. I've done the basics of the character sheet (enough to play) and there's no reply from Cubicle 7 as yet as to whether they'd be okay with me releasing it as a community set - or whether they have plans to release anything commercially.

What kind of functionality would you like to include and what data from PC/NPC sheets would you like linked to the entries?
Well, the NPC sheet is still to do. From the character sheet, it'd be the name, weapon skills, armour / damage / parry scores, conditions indicators. Probably the same from the NPC sheet once done. Not sure if the 4e has the combat tracker sharing / player view. I'd guess it does as there's a visibility control.

Given you have greater familiarity with the rules of the game and its mechanics at this stage
Not sure about that :p
I've read through the books and feel comfortable enough to try a game, that's about it.

if you can sketch out the overall features you would like to achieve, I can then work out how best to approach implementing the support features for the CT.
Will do. Can you PM me an email address. I'll set up a dropbox folder so you can pick up the ruleset to work on.

Zeus
October 15th, 2011, 12:00
Well given the adventurer's guide is 192 pages long, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get through it all before the game so a slow intro will help me too. ;)

I must admit I am intrigued as to some of the mechanics like Hope and Fellowship Focus and how that will affect players choices when roleplaying. It really does sound like its going to be fun.

Looking forward to Sunday.

As for the extension and CT development, I'll drop you a PM.

caleb cod
October 23rd, 2011, 13:46
If space comes up for a player please can I go on the reserve list? I have the hard copy rules so will try not to slow things up!

daddystabz
April 4th, 2012, 07:16
Any status update for this? Now with the release of the Tales From Wilderland campaign I really want to play/run this!

Blue Haven
April 5th, 2012, 19:28
I would love to see this one out ;)

Valarian
April 30th, 2012, 13:37
Unfortunately the feedback I got from the publishers was that I can not distribute the extension I've produced for The One Ring. The impression I've got from them is that there are license restrictions that prevent them giving their approval. A shame as it's really just another online character sheet.

daddystabz
December 24th, 2012, 20:39
Yikes! Yet another project I was looking forward to that has been deep sixed for FG.

This table is definitely not paying off for me.

Valarian
June 18th, 2013, 23:58
C7 are unable to give an official blessing, but they've not told Azrapse to take his character generator down and that contains the rules for generating the characters. They've even linked to that from the forum.

Pass me an email and I'll send the ruleset. Its an extension for Joshuha's Foundation Core. No modules though. This is purely the character sheet, NPC sheet and combat tracker.

Doswelk
June 19th, 2013, 10:23
Yikes! Yet another project I was looking forward to that has been deep sixed for FG.

This table is definitely not paying off for me.

They cannot stop you from running your own version, it just cannot be shared out.

Unfortunately license limitations over the years have nerfed quite a few cool projects, it is the world we live in.

Just buy all my Savage Worlds stuff and run that :p

Valarian
June 19th, 2013, 13:52
Except that tacit approval has been given by C7, through a link on their forum in a resources thread maintained by the admins, of a character generator website (https://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html). This site actually stores text from the books and the rules for character generation, with a branding icon.

The Fantasy Grounds ruleset (or extension) does none of this. The ruleset provides blank character sheets, blank NPC sheets, combat tracker and dice rolling. I have created modules with rules for Player reference, for use in my own games while they are connected, but these can't be shared as to do so would be breach of copyright. Essentially, what I will be providing is the means to play, not the text.

Essentially, I'm getting "if you ask permission, we can't say yes due to license". The reading between the lines, and the tacit approval of the character generation website, the message seems to be "don't ask". I guess the saying is true, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.