PDA

View Full Version : Just Keeps Updating

Sam Crow
September 27th, 2011, 22:46
Looked (albiet, briefly) for a post on this, and didnt find one.

Purchased FGII from RPGNow. Downloaded and installed it. Pressed Start. Updater comes up, updates (says "Done!"), then does nothing. It doesnt actually start. If I retry, it just updates again, then does nothing.

Any ideas?

MS Windows 7.

Thanks.

joshuha
September 27th, 2011, 23:32
Try running the updated under Admin mode.

Sam Crow
September 27th, 2011, 23:36
Thanks. But, er, whats admin mode?
EDIT: Oh you mean as an Administrator. Didn't work. Still just updates and then does nothing.

joshuha
September 27th, 2011, 23:53
Shoot an e-mail off to [email protected] and double check your license is ok. What version number does your Fantasy Grounds say it is?

Sam Crow
September 27th, 2011, 23:56
Version 2.8.1

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 00:02
Purchased FGII from RPGNow. Downloaded and installed it. Pressed Start. Updater comes up, updates (says "Done!"), then does nothing. It doesnt actually start. If I retry, it just updates again, then does nothing.

Err, are you pressing "Start" or "Check for Updates" in Fantasy Grounds? the updater shouldn't (I believe) come up if you're pressing start.

BTW - Joshuha asking to run the update under admin mode means starting Fantasy Grounds by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the right-click menu. Just logging in as an Administrator is not the same.

If using "Run as Administrator" doesn't work, when you first start Fantasy Grounds, on the first screen in the top right should be the version - what is it?

If it's not v2.8.1, try running the update outside of Fantasy Grounds: exit the FG app and run the "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe" from the same directory as the FantasyGrounds.exe application file (remember to run only once you have exited fantasy grounds).

This file is usually here: "\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II" or "\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II" (for 64 bit Windows). If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, right-click on "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe" before running and select "Run as Administrator".

This usually makes sure that a full update is done if you're having issues updating normally.

joshuha
September 28th, 2011, 00:05
Version 2.8.1

This is the latest version :)

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 00:05
Version 2.8.1

OK, you have the most recent version - forget my last post above.

When the first FG screen comes up, click the "Create New Campaign" button, this will take you into the campaign creation screen. Fill out the red highlighted sections (Name and select ruleset) and press "Start" - you're in!

Or, try "Load Campaign" - you should see a demo campaign available to load (Tale of Dinor).

Sam Crow
September 28th, 2011, 00:16
It doesn't show me the screen you're talking about... I dont think I'm getting that far.

In the program folder, there's an .exe file for Fantasy Ground (which I referred to as "Start") and one for Fantasy Ground Updater. Both of them do the same thing: update (check for packages, etc) and then stop. Pretty strange.

Its like the program, before launching, checks for updates, but then doesnt launch.

EDIT: I mean to say that both of them are application files. Thanks.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 00:19
It doesn't show me the screen your talking about... I dont think I'm getting that far.

In the program folder, there's an .exe file for Fantasy Ground (which I referred to as "Start") and one for Fantasy Ground Updater. Both of them do the same thing: update (check for packages, etc) and then stop. Pretty strange.

Its like the program, before launching, checks for updates, but then doesnt launch.

Weird! Try uninstalling FG and re-installing...

Sam Crow
September 28th, 2011, 12:47
Yeah; really strange. So I uninstalled and cleaned out registry and reinstalled and it worked. Thanks both for the assist.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2011, 09:31
The registry key was probably entered incorrectly during the first install.

Cheers,
JPG