PDA

View Full Version : Libraries

osarusan
September 27th, 2011, 11:29
I seem to be having a problem where the libraries in my game are not available to my players.

I've gone into the Module Activation part, and no matter whether I set the particular modules to "Allow" or "Force Load," my players are unable to load them.

This only happens for certain modules, not all of them -- but I would like to give access to more modules for my players.

Is this a bug? Or a "feature?" Am I doing something wrong?

joeru
September 27th, 2011, 11:43
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_library.xcp

Check the module types submenu.

osarusan
September 27th, 2011, 12:54
Hmmm...okay. So then what is the point of being able to set those options within FG if it's already hard coded and unchangeable within the module?

Zeus
September 27th, 2011, 14:06
Hardcoded? Not sure I understand this. The module option type is a selectable option from within /export so that you can define the type of module when it is created.

I cannot see why you would want to change the module type after the module has been created unless a mistake was made and you need to change the type to correct the mistake.

e.g. you /export an adventure module as Client type (client.xml) when in fact you will never want the players to be able to access this adventure data, therefore you re /export the module as host (db.xml) type.

If your players are unable to see modules in the Module Activation window, its likely down to:

said modules being Host only, or
said modules being Client type and not installed locally on each Player's PC, or
said modules being Common type and not activated as Force Load on the DM's Activation window

If the Players can see the modules in the Activation Window but they are not present in the Library, make sure the players have also 'Opened' then modules by left clicking the module book icon and dragging to the right. Of course Players will only be able to open modules that are Client or Common type modules.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 03:07
Hmmm...okay. So then what is the point of being able to set those options within FG if it's already hard coded and unchangeable within the module?

The main reason that they get "hard coded" in the modules is to directly restrict what are seen by the GM only (db.xml), can be seen by the players if enabled by the GM (common.xml) and can be seen by the players if enabled by the GM but the players must have a copy locally (client.xml).

I'm guessing you're having an issue with client.xml modules? I can see 2 reasons why you'd have a module as client.xml:

Copyright reasons. Allow only people who have purchased the module to view it. I play Castles & Crusades and the rule module is provided as a client.xml module - so only those who have bought the module and installed it locally can view the rules; and if the GM allows me access to it!
Restriction of downloading a really big module when you connect to FG. This allows the GM to distribute the client.xml modules before the game and so reduce startup time and download issues.

Then, on top of this, you need the additional control of the GM saying "Allow", "Force Load" etc to control whether the player can actually see the modules in the module library and then open them. I have over 50 modules in my module folder, I don't want all of these available to the players (they'd just get confused) so I only "Allow" those that may be of interest and "Force Load" those that will be needed.

Hope that helps clear it up for you osarusan?

osarusan
September 29th, 2011, 01:00
Hmm yes, this makes a bit more sense now. Thanks for your detailed replies, DrZeuss and Trenloe!