PDA

View Full Version : Cursor seems to be off target at times

JFK
September 26th, 2011, 21:26
Hi,

I am experiencing difficulty where my cursor is not actually pointing at the spot it appears on screen in Fantasy Grounds II. This makes text entry, linking, selecting things -- everything-- pretty tough. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix?
Thanks in advance for any help.

-JFK

joshuha
September 26th, 2011, 21:55
Are you sure you are on 2.8.1? I am pretty sure this was fixed in the latest patch.

JFK
September 26th, 2011, 23:53
Oops. I thought I was updated, but now I see update was erroring out. May be my spotty connection right now. I'll update in a few hours on a better connection and see if that does it.
Thanks for the quick reply.

JFK

JFK
September 27th, 2011, 04:50
Well after updating, no change. The problem is that in SOME windows my cursor is not where it ought to be. For example, to click a link I need to position my on screen cursor quite a way above the actual link. Anyone have any ideas? I'm supposed to run FGII on Thursday... :(

joshuha
September 27th, 2011, 05:30
Do you have FG maximized? Does it occur when in windowed mode? The bug that was fixed in 2.8.1 should be less noticeable when in windowed mode. If that is the case somehow the update didn't apply correctly.

Trenloe
September 27th, 2011, 05:45
Yep, sounds like the update hasn't been applied fully. When you first start Fantasy Grounds, on the first screen in the top right should be the version - it should read v2.8.1 - if not, run the update and make sure it works fully. You may need to exit FG and run the "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe" from the same directory as the FantasyGrounds.exe application file is (remember to run only once you have exited fantasy grounds).

This file is usually here: "\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II" or "\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II" (for 64 bit Windows). If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, right-click on "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe" before running and select "Run as Administrator".

This usually makes sure that a full update is done if you're having issues updating normally.

If this works, shows v2.8.1 and you still have the issue, let us know:

1) Which ruleset you are using?
2) Give an example of when the cursor position fails - from a standard FG module would be great so that we can try.
3) Try with FG maximised and non-maximised. Does it fail the same way for both?
4) Are you running the normal windows mouse cursor or has this been changed (Windows theme, accessibility, etc).

JFK
September 27th, 2011, 22:40
version 2.8.1A

3.5e Theme - Dungeon

A Tale of Dinor adventure

Click Start Here!
Click GM Notes

Hover the cursor about halfway down the third paragraph, directly above the bulleting list of links: The cursor will change to the linking hand shape. Clicking will open the top link. Continue down, watching as the cursor 'hits' each link in the list, without ever appearing over the top of any of them.

This is not consistent across all screens. I have not modified this adventure in any way. I tried with this adventure because it shipped with FGII.

My mouse is standard. Also, this has not been an issue before with FGII, although this is the first time in 6 months that I've used the program. I have also tried without a mouse, using the touchpad, with the same result.

My update is complete and successful. I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks for taking notice of my problem.

JFK

ps I also tried without the Dungeon theme enabled, but not change was observed.

Trenloe
September 27th, 2011, 23:54
That all works fine for me.

Have you tried with FG maximised and non maximised?

Also, check if something similar happens in the combat tracker - open the CT, add a new creature and see if you can CTRL + Mouse wheel to change wounds (Wnds). Does this appear exactly on the wounds entry or slightly off?

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 00:15
No change with maximized or non-maximised. The combat tracker seems to be on target, and not off a bit.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 00:18
No change with maximized or non-maximised. The combat tracker seems to be on target, and not off a bit.

Weird - the CT was where the original mis-match in mouse position was seen in V2.8.

I really don't know what else to suggest - except create a brand new campaign, create a couple of link entries and see if you get the issue there?

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 00:52
I'll try that. This IS the brand new campaign that I was working on, btw. :)

I'm also gonna just type in manually and see it if could be some weird formatting from cutting and pasting.

On a side note, I am now struggling to get my port 1802 opened correctly. I love Fantasy Grounds, but I have to admit to anyone who's not an actual techie, there is a bit of an issue with connectivity here. Not complaining, but this is the only software I've paid for that has this sort of 'learn networking and you should be good to go' deal on hosting/connecting. Sigh, I guess I am complaining. Still, it is a great program.

I'm just frustrated by it.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 01:21
I'll try that. This IS the brand new campaign that I was working on, btw. :)

I'm also gonna just type in manually and see it if could be some weird formatting from cutting and pasting.

That may make a difference, but if it's happening for the Tale of Dinor then it will probably happen for manual entries. Worth a shot though...

On a side note, I am now struggling to get my port 1802 opened correctly. I love Fantasy Grounds, but I have to admit to anyone who's not an actual techie, there is a bit of an issue with connectivity here. Not complaining, but this is the only software I've paid for that has this sort of 'learn networking and you should be good to go' deal on hosting/connecting. Sigh, I guess I am complaining. Still, it is a great program.

I'm just frustrated by it.

Yes, it can be frustrating. But, any application that needs network access to be a server needs ports opening etc. I'm guessing that this is your first non-standard server type application, hence the need for setting up port forwarding if UPnP doesn't work. UPnP helps - and is the way to go if it works OK on your router (as it covers you for changing local IP addresses).

One thing another user had port forwarding problems and I went through a lot of testing with him and couldn't work out what was going on. A simple uninstall and reinstall of Fantasy Grounds helped (probably reset the local firewall and/or UPnP access) - that might be worth a go for you, see if it fixes both problems?

joshuha
September 28th, 2011, 01:38
I have to do the same port forwarding for Vent/Teamspeak/Torrents/etc. (when hosting) as I do for Fantasy Grounds.

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 01:46
Heh, I was just thinking about reinstalling too. I understand how involved a program like this is, but from an end-user viewpoint it just seems a tad "involved'. Too many situations I suppose for the creation of a Wizard for FG users...

My internet is through HughesNet because of where I live. So, I have their modem to contend with, and then I have a Belkin N Wireless router setup so my wife and I can both connect at home with our laptops. We both joined FGII games several months ago and played without issue. Not sure what has changed, but something clearly has.
I'll give the reinstall a try in a bit. Thanks again for all your help.

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 02:00
What's frustrating to me is how simple it sounds, but how hard it seems. Port forward? Sure, okay. I log into my router, hit Virtual Servers, specify Port 1802, select my ip address of my computer (got from either ipconfig or from Fantasy Grounds itself), hit save changes, exit that, try FG test, fail FG test, load campaign anyway, try canyouseeme, port closed. Okay, hmm. Set a static IP address on my adapter. Use THAT address to port forward to. Nope, no good.
joshuha, thanks for the encouraging words, but not everyone is you. :) I think most end users would rather click a wizard that checks your port, and forwards it for you, and undoes it all when you exit FG. Of course, those folks are probably very bad targets for attacks. I know that's not gonna happen anyway. Okay, time to take a break. Looking like thursday's game won't happen. Maybe reinstall will do something magical. I don't know enough to help, just enough to be frustrated. :)
Thanks again.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 02:21
We both joined FGII games several months ago and played without issue. Not sure what has changed, but something clearly has.

IF you joined games as players there is no port forwarding needed from your side - as you are connecting to a server. Did you ever host a game as a GM and get players connect OK when you played before?

I think most end users would rather click a wizard that checks your port, and forwards it for you, and undoes it all when you exit FG.

The only way any application can do this automatically (through a Wizard or otherwise) is through UPnP (without you providing router ID and passwords, etc). Fantasy Grounds supports UPnP and uses it automatically when you run a campaign (and in FG V2.8+ it uses it for the network test). The key thing with UPnP is that you have to make sure it is enabled on your internet router. I also usually remove any port 1802 port forwarding I may have already set up manually - just in case this interferes with UPnP.

So, to test:

On your computer hosting Fantasy Grounds, disable all network adapters (including VPNs) except the network used to connect (to make sure there is no additional network adapters or VPNs getting in the way).
If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, make sure your network is set as Home or Work (not Public) in the Network and Sharing Center.
Disable any manually set port forwarding for port 1802 on your router.
Enable UPnP on your internet router.
Start Fantasy Grounds and go to "Load Campaign"
Click the "Click to retrieve" entry for the External address on the top right.
Check that the Internal Address is the IP address on your computer.
Check the external address is the internet IP address of your router.
Press run test.

joshuha
September 28th, 2011, 02:22
The real issue is that there is no standard UI for routers or even for the same companies routers. Routers and Port Forwarding rules are built for techies. However, even these days non-techies know they need a router and a firewall but nothing beyond that. The ease of being able to Port Forward is entirely dependent on the model of router that you have. I happen to have one that doesn't give me any trouble but I know a lot of people do have trouble and unless Fantasy Grounds were to become a hosted app (which most people here oppose) there is no way for Fantasy Grounds to auto-forward your ports for you as that is hardware depended.

The best thing is the guides at portforward.com but I know they aren't always up-to-date or present for every brand of router.

(Note when I say router I also mean any modems with routers built-in.)

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 04:27
Well, I uninstalled FG, but did not delete my app folder apparently. After reinstalling, I have the same issues with the cursor. Now I'm not sure if I should have deleted that application folder before reinstalling? Ugh. It takes a long time to update after installation. Is there another way to download an updated executable of FG, or is it only updateable in program?

I'll search for UPnP for my Belkin N Wireless model F5D8236-4 v3 and see if it supports it. Thanks.

JFK

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 04:37
It takes a long time to update after installation. Is there another way to download an updated executable of FG, or is it only updateable in program?

You can get an installation EXE from the FG Downloads page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) (top of this page). You'll need your FG licence key to enter during the install. I'm not sure exactly what version this is. I'd say just install it, don't do an update (notice what version you have if it isn't v2.8.1) and see if you have the issue. Then update (if you have the option) and see if you have the issue.

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 04:55
Thanks. The exe I have currently installs 2.5.x I believe before the update.
On the matter of hosting: Following your suggestions above I've done all on your list, enabling UPnP, disabling the VPN network, etc. When I get the external address through Fantasy Grounds though, it is NOT the router address (if I'm correct in thinking my router IP is the ip I type into my browser to access my router settings, etc?).

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 05:09
When I get the external address through Fantasy Grounds though, it is NOT the router address (if I'm correct in thinking my router IP is the ip I type into my browser to access my router settings, etc?).

Usually the IP address you type to access the router from your own network is an internal IP address too - something like 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z. The External address reported by Fantasy Grounds should be the external internet IP address (how others connect to your router) and won't be 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z...

Depending how your ISP's modem is setup, this should be the IP address obtained through the modem. You can probably see this as a "WAN IP" under internet settings in the web administration on your Belkin router.

JFK
September 28th, 2011, 05:17
Or is the external address in FG supposed to match one of the DNS ip addresses? I'm also wondering if my $#!# Hughesnet modem has anything to do with my inability to get 1802 open.
Either way, the external address according to FG matches except for the last digits (subnet?). Those are different from what shows as DNS from my router's page.

Didn't see your post. However at my router page it shows my WAN IP as 192.168.x.y actually.
It lists two addresses under the heading DNS ADDRESSES. Both those addresses match what FG reports as external address, except for the last two digits of either address.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 05:20
Or is the external address in FG supposed to match one of the DNS ip addresses? I'm also wondering if my $#!# Hughesnet modem has anything to do with my inability to get 1802 open.
Either way, the external address according to FG matches except for the last digits (subnet?). Those are different from what shows as DNS from my router's page.

No, your external IP is not the DNS IP - these are domain name servers provided by your ISP. Although, as you mention, it may well be very similar as it will be in the same range use by your ISP.

Your modem may well be creating problems - especially if it has some form of firewall on it. Do you have a way of accessing a web admin page on your modem similar to the one on your Belkin router.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 05:24
Basically what you have is:

Modem -> WAN IP (FG External address): Belkin Router :LAN IP -> Internal IP: PC running Fantasy grounds.

If the connection from Modem -> Belkin Router is provided with an external IP address (mentioned above as WAN IP) then port forwarding is OK on your Belkin router - but, if the modem has a firewall, that will need to be disabled as it will be blocking port 1802 before it gets to your router. It is OK disabling the firewall on the modem as the Belkin Router firewall will be good enough.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2011, 05:35
P.S. UPnP is available on your router, its just disabled by default. Access it under the utilities page of the router web admin tool. Page 68 of the Router PDF manual...