PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting a Ruleset to work

theestrollingbones
September 25th, 2011, 17:56
I'm not very savvy when it comes to technical things and this has been putting a dampner on my exciting new purchase of FG2.

A friend of mine gifted me the money to purchase FG2 so we could play games for old time sake. However I am a member of the Reckless Dice Podcast, a podcast dedicated to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e, and I am keen to start playing games using Neil Foster's WHFRP 3e rule set for FG2.

I downloaded the Ruleset from his website but am totally at a loss when it comes to getting the ruleset to function. I have a full license and I also extracted the .Pak files but it is not showing up as an option for rulesets when I go to create a new campaign.

Any help would be fantastic.

Your's with clumps of hair in his hands,
Lester

joshuha
September 25th, 2011, 18:05
While I have never installed that ruleset if its a .pak file you shouldn't have to extract it. Just make sure the PAK file is either in the rulesets folder (Start menu -> Fantasy Grounds 2 -> Application data folder) or the same directory as the Fantasy Grounds 2 exe.

drahkar
September 25th, 2011, 18:42
His a little more complex to setup because he has a set of Pak files that need to be there for things to work. Last time I looked at it anyway. There was one that was the chat window (He had several so you could have different size chat interfaces) and then the rest of the ruleset in another one. Make sure you downloaded both of them.

Trenloe
September 25th, 2011, 23:58
The .pak file is called "WFRP v3.pak", as Joshuha says make sure this is located in the Fantasy Grounds II exe folder or the app data ruleset folder. Neil has put a note on the sourceforge site:

NOTE: If downloading any .PAK, .MOD, or .EXT files using Internet Explorer, then IE may change the file extension to .ZIP. Please ensure that you rename the extension back to its original format.

Could this be the issue? If you ended up with "WFRP v3.zip" when you downloaded, just rename it to "WFRP v3.pak" - don't unzip it.

lachancery
September 26th, 2011, 02:14
While I have never installed that ruleset if its a .pak file you shouldn't have to extract it. Just make sure the PAK file is either in the rulesets folder (Start menu -> Fantasy Grounds 2 -> Application data folder) or the same directory as the Fantasy Grounds 2 exe.

As heads up, depending on which version of Windows (assuming you're not using another OS), the path will be different. Best is to search where the directory named "ruleset" is on your hard drive.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2011, 02:19
As heads up, depending on which version of Windows (assuming you're not using another OS), the path will be different. Best is to search where the directory named "ruleset" is on your hard drive.

lachancery is right - the FG data folder is in different places depending on what operating system you're running. However, there is a link provided by FG to get you to the right folder without having to search your hard drive.

The best way is to follow Joshuha's instructions and go to the link provided in the Fantasy Grounds windows start menu: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.

This opens the data folder directly. The link is provided specifically because the actual folder can be different for different operating systems.

lachancery
September 26th, 2011, 03:17
The best way is to follow Joshuha's instructions and go to the link provided in the Fantasy Grounds windows start menu: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.
LOL! I never even thought of looking there. A smart & handy place to put the shortcut. Thanks for calling it out! :)

theestrollingbones
September 27th, 2011, 21:32
Thanks guys! I ended up figuring it out about an hour after posting this message! I'm really impressed with the community here already.