PDA

View Full Version : Any way to change GM image?

Desmodaeus
September 24th, 2011, 20:07
Hey guys,

Is there a way to change the little image that appears in the chat for the GM, and if so how? I am using the 4E ruleset. Thanks.

Zeus
September 24th, 2011, 20:37
Create an extension which overrides the following icon definition and then place your new icon image in the subfolder graphics/icons within the extension.

<icon name="portrait_gm_token" file="graphics/icons/portrait_gm_token.png" />

For an example, download my 4E Theme - Metal Pro extension, it overrides the GM chat portrait token with a custom DM image.

Desmodaeus
September 25th, 2011, 00:11
Yes, that is what I am trying to do but I am inexperienced at creating my own extensions. I curently am using your metal pro skin (very nice) but I want to change the DM picture to one of my own. Is there a tutorial on this anywhere?

Valarian
September 25th, 2011, 09:24
In order to change the image, you would have to do the following:
- Copy the 4E.pak from the FG2 installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II)
- Change the extension to 4E.zip instead
- Extract the file to a directory
- Name the extracted directory something like 4e-mod
- Change the graphics/icons/portrait_gm_token.png to an image of the same size
- Copy this modified directory to the rulesets folder FG2 application directory.
(e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II or C:\Users\Username\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II)
- Create the campaign using this modified 4e ruleset

VenomousFiligree
September 25th, 2011, 09:48
If you are using the Metal Skin Pro skin then you should change that, rather than the 4e pak/ruleset, as the extension will override the ruleset.

In your extensions folder, locate Dr Zuess' Metal Skin Pro extension, change the name from .ext to .zip and unzip.

Within the icons directory look for portrait_gm_token.png and replace this with the image you want (ensure it keeps the same name).

Rezip and rename to .ext and you're done! :)

Zeus
September 25th, 2011, 09:49
Valarian's method will work just fine however when the 4E ruleset is updated by JPG you will have to re-apply the entire method again to include the updated ruleset files in your customised version.

An alternative approach would be to create a simple extension which will not require any updates following 4E ruleset updates. However as you have mentioned that you are already using my 4E Theme - Metal Pro extension (which already overrides the portrait_gm_token icon definition) you may as well just simply replace the graphics/icons/portrait_gm_token.png file in the extension to create your customised version. This will also guarantee you don't get any conflicts between 4E Theme - Metal Pro and your custom extension.

You can unpack my extension by opening it with WinZIP (or similar archive tool). Just extract the extension into the fg app data/extensions folder and then replace the icon file.

[EDIT]D'oh! MurghBpurn beat me to it.

Zeus
September 25th, 2011, 10:04
If you do want to create your own extension to replace the GM chat portrait icon, here's a step by step guide.

Create a subfolder (using the name of your extension) in FGII's app data folder. Click the shortcut link to the Application Data Folder in FGII's folder in the Start Menu if you are not sure of the path to your application data folder.
In the subfolder you just created, create a text file and call it extension.xml. Open the file for editing and copy and paste in the text below replacing the text in [] with your customised data.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.8" logo="logo.png">
<properties>
<name>[NAME OF YOUR EXTENSION]</name>
<version>[VERSION OF YOUR EXTENSION]</version>
<author>[AUTHORS NAME]</author>
<description>[SHORT DESCRIPTION OF THE EXTENSION]</description>
<ruleset>
<name>4E</name>
<minrelease>20</minrelease>
</ruleset>
</properties>
<base>
<includefile source="graphics.xml" />
</base>
</root>

Save the file.
In the subfolder you just created, create a text file and call it graphics.xml. Open the file for editing and copy and paste in the text below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.8">
<icon name="portrait_gm_token" file="graphics/icons/portrait_gm_token.png" />
</root>

Save the file.
Create the following subfolders in your extension subfolder:

graphics/icons
Copy your custom .png into the graphics/icons folder and name it portrait_gm_token.png. You can name it differently but remember to change the name of the referenced .png file in graphics.xml
Optional. Copy a small 100x100 .png into the extensions folder and call it logo.png. This logo will be displayed next to the name of your extension in the FGII Launcher.

That's it. Fire up FGII and you should see the extension listed in the Extensions window of a 4E Campaign.

Desmodaeus
September 25th, 2011, 21:23
You guys are awesome, thanks a lot!

Erdrix
March 8th, 2012, 03:03
When I rezip the files and change the name it just changes the name to include .ext but the file still remans a zip file. What am I doing wrong?

Griogre
March 8th, 2012, 03:23
Do you have show file extensions on? If not you are just changing the the file to filename.ext.zip where .zip is not displayed. Show file extensions is not on by default.

Erdrix
March 8th, 2012, 03:47
Thank you, that was it.

KhybersGhost
March 19th, 2012, 08:38
I tried this as well and couldn't get it to work. I am attempting to do it for the 3.5/PFRPG.

All I've really changed is; (Followed all the other instructions - I think)

<ruleset>
<name>3.5E</name>
</ruleset>

I'm sure there is more to it than that. Any help/insight is appreciated.

Trenloe
March 19th, 2012, 15:35
I tried this as well and couldn't get it to work. I am attempting to do it for the 3.5/PFRPG.

All I've really changed is; (Followed all the other instructions - I think)

<ruleset>
<name>3.5E</name>
</ruleset>

I'm sure there is more to it than that. Any help/insight is appreciated.
The 3.5E ruleset uses a slightly different directory structure than the 4E one.

Follow the instructions in post #7, but for the graphics.xml file, you will need to create a subfolder in the extension folder called "graphics" and name the file graphics_misc.xml (not graphics).

then continue by adding the subfolder /icons to the graphics folder you have just created and follow the instructions in post #7.

madman
March 19th, 2012, 17:49
Here is an extension made to change the portrait. All you have to do is replace the picture with the one you want.

Chris

daumnation
November 3rd, 2012, 01:09
I'm pretty sure I followed the directions in the good Dr's tutorial to the letter but when I load the extension the chat window doesn't show that it loaded and the stock token is gone and is just replaced with [DM]. Oi

daumnation
November 3rd, 2012, 01:26
DOH! Solved, in my options I had show Portraits OFF. My logo doesn't appear but I'm ok with that

Lord Kavos
February 18th, 2014, 15:50
what changes do i need to make to get this to work for PFRPG ruleset?

Trenloe
February 18th, 2014, 16:10
what changes do i need to make to get this to work for PFRPG ruleset?
Change <name>3.5E</name> to <name>PFRPG</name> in extension.xml in the extension.

frozzzt
March 29th, 2014, 21:38
Thank you for this solution. Worked to edit tha main theme.

But there is any tutorial do MAKE NEW THEMES? I wanna do a theme for each campaign. I can't find any tutorial to how do that.

thks!

Willot
March 29th, 2014, 22:14
Yeah the information is kinda spread out around the forums.

Your best way is to unzip the main theme and study it as you did. But remember you don't have to change everything just change the thing you want to be different.The elements in your created ext file has priority over the default theme, so if an element is missing from your ext it uses the default (an .ext file is the same as a .zip file just rename it).

Unfortunately someone has to sit down and write the concise 300 page manual for FGII.
(Then Moon releases an update the next month out dating the manual DOH!)

If it helps here's my basic edit of Maiden, Mother, Crone attached. Unzip it using winzip and you will see while the folders and files are all located in their correct positions alot are missing. Because I didn't really feel the need to change them so its using the default.

Edit mine to make your own (remembering to change extension.xml to reflect YOUR theme), zip it back up, rename it to <whatever>.ext and place it in your extension folder under .../roaming/Fantasy Grounds II.

Then before you Start your campaign remember to select your theme from the extension buttons below