PDA

View Full Version : Advice on running Kingmaker?

Aristotle
September 23rd, 2011, 22:37
I don't have the PDFs yet, but I plan to run an adventure path as my first foray into both running a VTT game and running Pathfinder. I've heard such good things about Kingmaker, but there are also some additional features in that campaign. I'm wondering if others who have run it have tips for how they handled tracking of kingdom statistics, mapping, etc..

Leonal
September 24th, 2011, 01:44
I've ran Kingmaker 1,2 times, and have my players use Excel/Google docs for Kingdom rolls (I have enough with GMing to bother with Kingdom rolls ;)). There are excellent ones at the Paizo forums.

I either exported the maps from the pdfs or created my own in CC3 (which I also used to show exploration).

Trenloe
September 24th, 2011, 02:21
You'll definitely want to track a lot of the Kingdom stuff outside of Fantasy Grounds - as the players will be reviewing, making choices etc. outside of your FG sessions. Perhaps take a screenshot just before the game and then use this as a review image for the gaming session.

Just be aware that Kingmaker is a sandbox type adventure path and you'll have to do a lot of prep to make it really good. Of course, all of the adventure paths need quite a bit of prep to make sure they go well, but Kingmaker more so than others. I love the ideas in Kingmaker and if your players buy-in to the kingdom running stuff you'll have a blast.

Trenloe
September 24th, 2011, 02:22
I either exported the maps from the pdfs or created my own in CC3 (which I also used to show exploration).

Your CC3 created maps are really cool! :)

Leonal
September 24th, 2011, 02:44
Your CC3 created maps are really cool! :)

Yes, this AP in particular requires perhaps a bit more adjustment from the GM to fit your players.

Some of my experience with KM:
My first group which has completed it by now completely bypassed the Mass Combat part of the adventure partly due to good roleplaying on their part which reduced the need, and because we didn't like the rules. Also the exploration part can be fun in the beginning, but no one really cared by the third adventure.

I barely used any of the encounters placed around in the various maps, and didn't bother rolling for random encounters after a few sessions. This particular group of players would rather avoid combat if they could, thus monsters that had no impact on them or their empire were more often than not left alone.

I would try to implement the quests inside the covers better into the adventure, because as presented we found most of them to be just silly. "We'll give you 1000gp store credit for finding my wife's wedding ring." or "fish 12 eels and get a +2 buckler." Which of course is tailored to fit the adventurers' economy, doesn't suit regular people to just hand out as rewards IMO.
My other group which has just finished the second part are quite different and seems to enjoy the exploration more, but they also with their sizable kingdom decided to bring several of their own militia with them during some quests. E.g. against the big bad at the end of part two they brought about a 100 warriors with them, but lost almost 7 so they might be reluctant about following their leaders on the next expedition they're recruited for.

TL;DR
Tailor it to your group and react to what they like and don't like as you go.

MAP
If you want a sewn together and player friendly hex map for Kingmaker that actually has north pointing up. You can use this one. https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/kingmakerhex.jpg/ The only difference with the ones on the AP is that this has 11mile wide hexes (because that's what the AP maps turned out to be when scaled to fit the Inner Sea map).