PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E v2.8.1] Targeting is sometimes ignored

Callum
September 22nd, 2011, 16:16
Quite frequently, a PC will have one or more targets defined (which I can confirm in the Combat Tracker), and will cast a spell or use an effect - but it will act as though it isn't targeted, just putting the base info into the chat window, and not applying any effects/heals/damage.

This is another of those annoying issues that I haven't been able to reproduce consistently.

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2011, 16:57
Quite frequently, a PC will have one or more targets defined (which I can confirm in the Combat Tracker), and will cast a spell or use an effect - but it will act as though it isn't targeted, just putting the base info into the chat window, and not applying any effects/heals/damage.

This is another of those annoying issues that I haven't been able to reproduce consistently.

I've never actually seen the damage, heal or effect automatically applied when a spell is cast with the cast button. I've always had to then apply the damage/heal to the remaining targetted creatures (after to-hit rolls and saves may have reduced the number of targeted creatures) by double clicking on the heal or damage entry.

I'm guessing that applying damage/heal is not supposed to be done all in the same single cast roll.

One thing I have seen is that you you can't double-click to apply effects for just a single targetted creature, you have to manually apply an effect by click-and-dragging it to the creature on the combat tracker. Targetting doesn't seem to work for effect application for just one creature - but it does for more than one!

Callum
September 23rd, 2011, 11:34
I've never actually seen the damage, heal or effect automatically applied when a spell is cast with the cast button. I've always had to then apply the damage/heal to the remaining targetted creatures (after to-hit rolls and saves may have reduced the number of targeted creatures) by double clicking on the heal or damage entry.

Yes, but what happens to my players is that with both of those things (using the cast button, or clicking on the heal/damage) the targeting sometimes just fails, and the targets are not mentioned in the chat window text or affected in any way.

One thing I have seen is that you you can't double-click to apply effects for just a single targetted creature, you have to manually apply an effect by click-and-dragging it to the creature on the combat tracker. Targetting doesn't seem to work for effect application for just one creature - but it does for more than one!

Interesting - I hadn't realised that.

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2011, 11:53
Yes, but what happens to my players is that with both of those things (using the cast button, or clicking on the heal/damage) the targeting sometimes just fails, and the targets are not mentioned in the chat window text or affected in any way.

Are you still getting attack rolls made for every spell? If so, I think there is something up with your campaign/setup in general. Did you send you db.xml file to moon_wizard as he requested?

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 18:24
Yes, I got it, but I haven't had a chance to dig in yet. I've been swamped with my primary job, and travel.

Some notes:
* The casting rolls are separate from the damage, heal and effect rolls. It's on the wish list to have "linked" actions.
* Targeting should work for single targets on effects. I'll look at it.
* I've sporadically seen that client targeting does not work right, but I haven't been able to recreate either. Please let me know if you are able to identify or recreate consistently.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 23:00
OK, I found the issue. Any action, which does not use dice, will not correctly target a single target (i.e. cast and effects).

I'll look into making it a quick patch, instead of waiting for v2.8.2 cycle.

Regards,
JPG