PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E v2.8.1] PC data disappears between sessions

Callum
September 22nd, 2011, 16:05
We've noticed that some data on the character sheets doesn't persist between sessions - most notably Speed (though the only Small PC also lost his Size bonuses to attack rolls).

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 23:37
I'm looking at your db.xml file right now.

* Some of the database structures are incorrect in your db.xml file.
* The character record names do not match standard FG internal list numbering, so I assume that they were copied or imported from somewhere.
* Were these characters from another ruleset (d20, ...), or copied from another campaign?

How did you import your characters into the db.xml file?

Thanks,
JPG

Callum
September 28th, 2011, 15:23
I was using the d20 ruleset prior to v2.8. I updated to 3.5E at that time, following the directions you gave me here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112322&postcount=9

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2011, 09:24
It looks like the campaign characters were upgraded from another ruleset or Fantasy Grounds 1; since there are many fields in the character records that are not part of any result I've worked on (d20, d20_JPG, 3.5E, 4E).

The speed field should have been updated to the correct database format when the database file was first used in the new 3.5E result based on the database version number.

My suggestion is to create new character records, copy over the information, and then remove the old records. The other method involves manually editing the db.xml file, which can cause the whole database to be erased if a mistake is made. You already have a backup in either case.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
October 2nd, 2011, 14:12
You're right - these characters started play in FG1, and have migrated into FG2 and now into 3.5E 2.8. It's a shame that there's been no proper migration support for characters moving across versions of the software in that way. Rebuilding a whole group of high-level characters is a lot of work, particularly just after we've put hours of work into making them operate with the new functionality of v2.8! But if that's what we've got to do, I guess that's what we've got to do. (And when I say "we", I really mean "I".)

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2011, 18:14
I hear you. I end up being the person who makes sure that all the data is right for our games, in addition to running the games.

The migration in this case broke down between FG1 and FG2, which I was not a part of. I didn't even start using FG until a year after FG2 launched, and didn't start working on the product until about 18 months ago. Personally, I try to make transitions as seamless as possible for products I build, so it should be better going forward.

Regards,
JPG