PDA

View Full Version : Map loading

zorish
September 18th, 2011, 04:51
Today we were playing and all was good for about an hour then when the DM loaded the second major map of the session mine would not load. The first couple of maps loaded with no problem but then they stopped loading (i could still see the first couple). The screen would pop up but it would not get past the part that said loading. All other aspects of the game were working correctly and the other players were seeing everything properly.

I tried to exit the program and come back, turned off the virus protection, reset the router and the computer but nothing would make it work again.

Has anyone seen this problem before or have any ideas on how to fix it?

thanks

gmkieran
September 19th, 2011, 18:43
Zorish, most often this is a result of either connection issues (on your side or the GM's) or an over-large image file. Let us know what version of the software you're both working with, which rule set you're using and, if possible, the size of the image files involved and we'll see if we can narrow it down any better than that. It could be any number of other things, but those are the usual suspects.

Cheers!
gmkieran

zorish
September 21st, 2011, 05:12
We are both running version 2.8.1 the most current edition. I run Windows 7, i don't know the exact size of the map that he was sharing, the first one was not too big but the second one was very large.

I am pretty sure it was something on m end as all the other players could see the map just fine.

Emrak
September 21st, 2011, 14:35
Not to go off-topic, but what is the maximum recommended map size?

gmkieran
September 23rd, 2011, 15:43
File sizes under 1Mb are recommended, 600-800Kb seems to be optimal. The software will handle, iirc, 2400x2400, but images that large take forever to load, esp if you have a variety of connection speeds involved. I've shared larger files successfully, but only at the cost of delaying play for several minutes while everyone waited to see the map.

cheers!
gmkieran

Trenloe
September 24th, 2011, 02:17
File sizes under 1Mb are recommended, 600-800Kb seems to be optimal. The software will handle, iirc, 2400x2400, but images that large take forever to load, esp if you have a variety of connection speeds involved. I've shared larger files successfully, but only at the cost of delaying play for several minutes while everyone waited to see the map.

There's no specific limit to the size of the image you can load into FG - the major factors are the loading time etc. you mention.

Each ruleset has a max window size that the image will display within FG - you can have larger images in the window (I've had 6000x6000 photos I've used to test), you'll just have to scroll around to see sections of the whole image. The FG V2.8 3.5E and 4E rulesets limit the maximum image window size to 2048x2048. Older rulesets can limit it to smaller window size (700x700 for example) - check the <sizelimits> tags in the adventure_images.xml file in each ruleset.