PDA

View Full Version : Are any updates planned ?

zackspacks
September 18th, 2011, 00:21
Hi guys
Are there any updates to this set planned ? After playing around with both Savage Worlds and D&D this set seems to be a bit archaic now. Any updates planned ?

osarusan
September 19th, 2011, 14:09
Indeed! I'd like to see an update to take advantage of some of the 2.8 features as well. More tables, more easy-to-access charts, and better monster/item integration would really be preferable too. Right now all the info is in there, but its hardly what I would call integrated into the FG system. Most of the work still has to be done manually by recopying info from the text into items, monsters, etc. Kind of a disappointment...

StuartW
September 19th, 2011, 14:28
I'm no longer involved in supporting this ruleset, but you shouldn't have to copy text from monsters or items. They have been drag-and-droppable from the outset.

In fact, the CoC ruleset was the first to allow the GM to drag NPCs and drop them on the player list (for pre-gen characters).

Stuart

osarusan
September 21st, 2011, 09:20
That's true, it does for monsters and for weapons, but not for the general items list (as far as I can tell). My mistake! In any case, I do like the ruleset, but I wish that it were still being improved upon. Sometimes it feels clumsy to use, and its easier for me to simply get my physical books and thumb through them.

StuartW
September 21st, 2011, 09:48
True, it is showing its vintage, and there could be more automation.

The 'items' drag and drop also works for special items (from the 'Items' list, or blueprint icon, on the main screen) but not for inventory. Draggable inventory is relatively new in FG.

Stuart

zackspacks
September 25th, 2011, 12:43
It really is a shame that nothing seems to be happening. Especially as this add on cost more than Savage Worlds, which is way way better ( note : wrt FG2, not the actual game ).

For example - I just recently played in a game, which culminated in a fight against cultists. Only the Keeper could see the combat order, which is understandable for the first round, but after that, was rather frustrating. We couldn't see who was damaged either. It left us all feeling that this add-on isn't a major step change from using Skype(speech) + Dropbox(images). We could have used the standard D&D FG2 set for dicerolling along with the latter.

ddavison
September 25th, 2011, 16:28
We have plans to update each of our rulesets to give them feature parity with newer rulesets. We see this as an ongoing thing and that is the principal reason we've switched our outsourcing model to be commission based instead of a one-time upfront development cost. Whenever we deliver updates, we strive to release these free of charge to existing customers and repay the developers providing the updates with new sales of the product.

D&D 4E, D&D 3.5E/Pathfinder and Savage Worlds have received the most attention recently and therefore have the greatest level of automation at this time. We have a solid developer working on updating Castles & Crusades currently, but that developer also has done a lot of conversion work on CoC. If nobody else jumps in to take over CoC updates, it will probably go into the queue after C&C.

zackspacks
September 26th, 2011, 21:33
Thanks for the update, good to know that something is happening :)
cheers
Paul

osarusan
September 27th, 2011, 11:27
That's great news! I'm really glad to hear it. The recent updates to FG have been wonderful, and I'd love to see them reflected universally.

StuartW
October 4th, 2011, 17:28
Another thing to remember: if you have the BRP ruleset and use the free Eldritch Horror extension, you can load most Call of Cthulhu material. You don't get the CoC skin, but you do get a slightly more up to date ruleset with features such as player combat tracker and p2p whispers.

Stuart

zackspacks
October 4th, 2011, 18:28
Another thing to remember: if you have the BRP ruleset and use the free Eldritch Horror extension, you can load most Call of Cthulhu material. You don't get the CoC skin, but you do get a slightly more up to date ruleset with features such as player combat tracker and p2p whispers.

StuartUnfortunately I don't play BRP mate, but hopefully this will simply be a simple 'cut n paste' into the CoC ruleset when it does come to be updated ?
cheers
Paul

osarusan
October 7th, 2011, 16:22
Hmm... well that's a thought. I do like BRP, though I have no plans to run it any time soon. I should hate to think I'd need to buy another ruleset to use all the features in a ruleset I paid for though. :-/

phild
April 24th, 2013, 13:36
I'm a newbie, catching up on old threads!

Lots of talk about the ruleset being inadequate back in 2011 - has anything changed now we're in 2013?!

ddavison
April 24th, 2013, 15:33
Not directly within CoC, but with improvements to FG3 which will allow new features to be ported to all rulesets much easier. The reason CoC is more expensive than Savage Worlds is because Chaosium typically charges more for their core rules than Pinnacle does. The ruleset includes the entire content from the book along with automation for various components within the game.

Many of the rulesets this is getting compared to now have had very engaged fans who have worked to enhance the rulesets through extensions and in several cases have worked on commission with us to enhance the system.

mbabbs
January 9th, 2014, 08:28
Are there plans to release any further adventure modules for CoC?

ddavison
January 9th, 2014, 23:33
We don't have any in development at this time. Were there any in particular you are interested in? I might be able to reach out to Chaosium for those products specifically.

damned
January 10th, 2014, 03:39
Are there plans to release any further adventure modules for CoC?

there could be an opportunity to convert some and get them added to the store... you might even earn a couple of dollars...

mbabbs
January 10th, 2014, 09:27
Any 1920's scenarios - there is a lack of them available. You only have one Mansions of Madness scenario available for example - do you not have the license for the others?

I am happy to convert them (for 6th Ed - I haven't looked at 7th yet) especially as I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. Also having more in your store would give a signal that Cthulhu is supported and may attract more players to this ruleset.

....it would be interesting to get Achtung Cthulhu onboard aswell, but one step at a time.

VenomousFiligree
January 10th, 2014, 10:45
....it would be interesting to get Achtung Cthulhu onboard aswell, but one step at a time.

This should hopefully be happening soon with the Savage Worlds version of Three Kings, if there's enough interest then CoC will be supported (along with the core books).

ddavison
January 11th, 2014, 18:29
Any 1920's scenarios - there is a lack of them available. You only have one Mansions of Madness scenario available for example - do you not have the license for the others?

I am happy to convert them (for 6th Ed - I haven't looked at 7th yet) especially as I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. Also having more in your store would give a signal that Cthulhu is supported and may attract more players to this ruleset.

mbabbs, shoot an email to me at [email protected] and I can discuss next steps for you doing a conversion. If you want to include a link from Chaosium's site to the module you'd like to do first, I can start with that one -- depending on the response time from Chaosium. We have an open license to do conversions, but I obviously don't have every one of the products from our licensed publishers available for performing Quality Checks or conversions.

littleo
January 24th, 2014, 01:45
Enjoying the new updates, and have just started a new Masks campaign. Played the second session on Wed. It looks like Dodge is not being calculated correctly. It should be Dex x2 as a base, and appears to be calculated as Dex x5 on the skill sheet. The widget for rolling SAN checks isn't working on the right side of the sheet. If your current SAN is less than your starting the chat window displays your starting value. The dice roll from the mini window is correct. Thx.
Mike D

Moon Wizard
January 24th, 2014, 01:58
This will be fixed in v3.0.2.

JPG

littleo
January 25th, 2014, 04:31
Thanks much.
Mike D

mbabbs
February 12th, 2014, 20:19
I've added Trail of Tsathogguha to the FTP.