PDA

View Full Version : HeroLab now provides a Fantasy Grounds export format

ddavison
September 17th, 2011, 17:49
The kind folks at HeroLab have been working with us to expand integration between our two products. Here is their official announcement.

Our latest update for Hero Lab, version 3.8a, is now available. With this release, we're happy to announce compatibility between Hero Lab and the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop!

Hero Lab now lets you export your Pathfinder and d20 System characters to Fantasy Grounds by selecting "Save Custom Output" from the File menu, then choosing the Fantasy Grounds option. The files created can then be loaded into Fantasy Grounds, letting you use your Hero Lab characters on the virtual tabletop with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Hero Lab 3.8a also includes other important bug fixes and new features, so we recommend you update immediately. You can learn more about Fantasy Grounds at their web site:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/

LoneWolf produces a number of great gaming tools, and we are happy to have functionality that benefits both our communities. You can visit Lone Wolf by visiting this link https://www.wolflair.com/

-Doug

phantomwhale
September 18th, 2011, 07:13
I offered to so the Savage Worlds one, but never heard back. That said, they've got a keen SWEX fan on there forums a lot (makes me look disinterested) so I'm hoping the work's been passed his way.

In any case, I'll have XML import / export functions added into the next SWEX version too.

[EDIT] Forgot to say that Hero Lab is pretty darn awesome for PC creation, esp. when there are fiddly rules of what points can be spent when, or when your player's are wondering if they remembered to level up last time !

Jonny Tenebrous
September 18th, 2011, 22:27
Ah, yes! This is fantastic. Can't wait to try it out! I have to say, I was *this close* (makes small pinching motion) to considering D20 Pro for my next Pathfinder Campaign, partially due to it's compatibility with Hero Lab. With the recent updates to FGII on the Pathfinder front and now Hero Lab compatibility (gad, I hope Hero Lab exports NPCs/Monsters to FGII as well... off to go test), it feels like all my Christmas's are arriving at once!

For what it's worth, you have my absolute encouragement in continuing down this Path...

psicodelix
September 19th, 2011, 19:57
someone has succesfully tested that feature?

I've tried to export-import a Pathfinder character with no result... :confused:

Jonny Tenebrous
September 19th, 2011, 20:02

Oh, yeah... I was completely confused at first as well. You need to download the new Character Importer tool available on the forums here. Make sure you run the program as an administrator if you are Vista/Windows 7. Also, you won't see the imported character in your campaign until after you've fully restarted Fantasy Grounds. It's not perfect, yet... but it saves absolutely loads of time.

Personally I can't WAIT until it can import NPC/Monster stat blocks from Hero Lab as well. :)

Trenloe
September 19th, 2011, 20:07

See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025) for the character importer utility.

psicodelix
September 20th, 2011, 07:36
ok, thank you very much.

Aristotle
September 22nd, 2011, 01:24
Possibly a stupid request, but would it be possible for someone with Hero Lab to provide a generic character export?

It doesn't need to be a playable character. Just something with some spells, an item or two of gear, a weapon, and a feat. I don't know if that breaks any rules. You can't save with the demo mode and I'd like to see the result of an import before I pay for Hero Lab.

Jonny Tenebrous
September 22nd, 2011, 02:07
Edit: I had uploaded an example, but decided to take it down since it's been pointed out that some folks might conceivably get their knickers in a twist over it. Trust me, it looked great ;), lol. Anyhow, I suggest simply using the demo version of Hero Lab to generate a Print Preview.... this will allow you to see exactly what your sheet will look like. I must admit that I think the costs are just a little bit on the outrageous side, but on the other hand, it's an incredibly slick tool... the best at what it does (and don't they know it). Stuff it, though - I'm too lazy to use the other methods now that I've been spoiled. I'm glad the exchange rate favours me. Cheers.

Another edit: Clearly I hadn't read your post closely enough (I blame the time difference, it's late here ;) ). I see that you were merely seeking a *.hlfg export. Good thing Leonal's paying proper attention...

Leonal
September 22nd, 2011, 02:42
Sure. Here's an example that should be fine to share, since the original source material is distributed for free to the public by Paizo in a module called "We Be Goblins" for the Pathfinder system. In this example, I've recreated a PC with HeroLab from Paizo's simple sheet for the same character.

Just a FYI, because it's free doesn't mean that it's ok for others to share. Paizo still requires you to abide by their Community Use Policy regarding sharing their stuff. (Blog images, proper names, etc etc.). :)

Possibly a stupid request, but would it be possible for someone with Hero Lab to provide a generic character export?

You can try to import the characters attached below to see how it ends up in FG. A fighter and a druid in the .hlfg format zipped up.

edit: Before I look stupid. ;)

"This character(s) uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC, which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This character(s) is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Publishing. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Publishing and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com."

Aristotle
September 22nd, 2011, 07:28
Thanks for the assists. I've got the info I needed. I wanted to make an informed decision between Hero Lab and PCGen. The imports seem comparable so no game changer there.

I'm leaning toward Hero Lab at the moment mostly because it supports Shadowrun as well and that game benefits a great deal from a character generator.

Leonal
September 22nd, 2011, 07:36
Remember that when you buy HL you select one gamesystem to get with it for free (i.e. don't pick one you don't want). Any other additional ones need to be bought through the software.

TheMetal1
September 22nd, 2011, 19:55
Great to see this for Hero Lab, Pathfinder and FGII. Just tried it out and wouldn't you know it, I'm a bit confused on the whole thing. So here are a couple of things:

1. Clicked on the Help File in Hero Lab for exporting. It takes you to their website where it goes through how to do it, but has no mention of Fantasy Grounds II at all. Perhaps they're simply behind on getting the info up, but you might want to contact them.

2. It exports, to a folder in Hero Lab, but what do I do now? Where do I put this file so I can see it in my Hero Lab Pathfinder Campaign?

3. I'm reading the forums here and now there is another program I have to install, not attached or imbedded into Fantasy Grounds II, but a seperate program and again, no clue really how to use it or where to put the files. Hero Lab exports the file for FGII conversion as an .hlfg - I have no idea what that is, though the forums here mention something about changing it to xml or * but that is just, well, annyoing.

4. Yes, I did download the installer thing for HeroLab from this website, but it won't show and of the .hlfg files

Ok, so anyone who can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm enjoying the Pathfinder Campaign I'm running and me and the players both own FGII and Herolab, even made up their characters in Herolab and then manually inputed it into FGII. They're about to level next session and this will make that process sooooo much easier. Thanks again for the help in advance. God Bless.

Leonal
September 22nd, 2011, 20:19
Download the software linked to in this thread and follow the instructions.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025

When you look for your exported *.hlfg file from within the software you have to type *.hlfg or *.* for the software to actually see the file (this is because the importer software hasn't been updated to "see" hlfg files yet.)

If you run into any problems, just ask and someone will likely be able to help.

TheMetal1
September 22nd, 2011, 20:59
Thanks for your help there Leonal. Got it working. :)

Just a few more quick notes that might help some others on this.

1. When Hero Lab is open with the Character you want to Export, do the following:
A. Go to "File", then to "Save Custom Output"
B. A Window will Pop up saying "Custom Portfolio Output"
C. Click on "Fantasy Grounds" and "Current Hero Only"
D. Click on "Output" button at the bottom.
E. It will now take you to location where you'll save the file remember this for whatever it is for you.
F. This file is initially saved as an .hfgl file. Go to the file location and right click on it.
G. Select properties; under the "General" tab you'll see the file name with .hfgl - change this to .xml
H. Click "Ok" This will cause a pop-up "Rename" to come up asking you if you're sure you want to do this. Click "Yes"
I. Open the FGII Character Installer and run as an Administrator (right click to do this)
J. Under "Input" Select from the 1st drop down "Pathfinder"; the second drop down next to it will automatically pick Hero Lab .xml
K. Now click Select File: Find where you saved the file you mentioned above in you should be able to see the file and select it.
L. Now click on "Campaign Import" next to it there might be a number of campaigns or just one based on what you're running on FGII, click where you want the character inputed to.
M. Now click on "Convert"
N. Start up Fantasy Grounds II and pick the campaign where you imported the character too and your characters should be there with most of the data from Hero Lab. (I'll get to that in the next post)

Yeah, Step by Step, I know but it might help some folks out. Enjoy!

TheMetal1
September 22nd, 2011, 21:14
Looks like not everything is porting over from Hero Lab though.

1. No campaign notes are imported in nor are any pictures.

2. Some of the Abilities that you get which translate into skills bonuses are not updating in Hero Lab, nor are they transfering over to Fantasy Grounds. For example, Elven Alternate Racial Ability "Woodcraft" the bonuses are not inputed into Skills section in either HL or FG. You have to do it manually. Further, "Low-Light Vision" and "Keen Senses" did not import in either.

3. Double entries on somethings as well. One character has two sets of Leather Armor and Natural Armor added into FGII, but only has Leather Armor checked as worn in HL. Further, the character has 2 Bucklers in FGII, but only has one Buckler worn in HL. Might be issue of it being checked as worn.

4. When converting the file in the Character Iputer, what is the difference between "Use Local xslt for file conversion (if available)" and "Use Modules from the Module Manager to look up data"?

Aristotle
September 22nd, 2011, 22:27
2. Some of the Abilities that you get which translate into skills bonuses are not updating in Hero Lab, nor are they transfering over to Fantasy Grounds. For example, Elven Alternate Racial Ability "Woodcraft" the bonuses are not inputed into Skills section in either HL or FG. You have to do it manually. Further, "Low-Light Vision" and "Keen Senses" did not import in either.

You don't get your upgraded vision listed in your senses field on the first page? PCGen imports put them there. I don't have a non-human Hero Lab sample to confirm your finding.

The import is just grabbing the numbers and plugging them in. The feats are just text. They aren't even the same feats from your library modules (which is what I expected). Feats don't, as far as I can tell, automatically parse into your character sheet when you apply them within Fantasy Grounds so they won't on an import either. If the math is wrong in HL, it will probably be wrong in FGII too.

3. Double entries on somethings as well. One character has two sets of Leather Armor and Natural Armor added into FGII, but only has Leather Armor checked as worn in HL.
I'm seeing that too. The natural armor is on every HL import, and armor and shield items specifically seem to be duplicated on all of them as well. PCGen imports are not doing this, so the issue is somewhere in the export/import process for Hero Lab.

TheMetal1
September 22nd, 2011, 23:56
You don't get your upgraded vision listed in your senses field on the first page? PCGen imports put them there. I don't have a non-human Hero Lab sample to confirm your finding.

I just checked - thanks for pointing that out. Indeed there was upgraded vision. But all it says is "Low-Light Vision" with no hyper link box to show you what that means, like there are on the other feats and abilities on the other tabs. Further, "Keen Senses" is still MIA, which is significant as all that it is showing on the 1st Tab is "Perception" with a wisdom bonus. The Keen senses should give an Elf PC another +2. So, in the example I'm using the Elf Sorcerer has a 14 Wisdom giving him a +2 to Perception rolls. With Keen Senses that makes it a +4, but somehow this lost in the translation from Hero Lab to FGII.

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2011, 03:17
I just checked - thanks for pointing that out. Indeed there was upgraded vision. But all it says is "Low-Light Vision" with no hyper link box to show you what that means, like there are on the other feats and abilities on the other tabs. Further, "Keen Senses" is still MIA, which is significant as all that it is showing on the 1st Tab is "Perception" with a wisdom bonus. The Keen senses should give an Elf PC another +2. So, in the example I'm using the Elf Sorcerer has a 14 Wisdom giving him a +2 to Perception rolls. With Keen Senses that makes it a +4, but somehow this lost in the translation from Hero Lab to FGII.

Yeah, looks like "special" abilities tagged in the XML output from HL don't get imported into FG.

Also, FG calculates the perception value based on the rank, attribute and misc modifier - not the total value (which is output from HL). The misc modified isn't being output by HL so it doesn't populate in FG.

Looks like some more changes are needed to the export/import mappings...

EDIT: To be more specific - "special" abilities shown in the HL XML output under "senses", "immunities" and "resistances" don't populate. Those under "otherspecials" do.

TheMetal1
September 23rd, 2011, 17:06
As an aside, the changes that need to be worked on are minor. This is a HUGE help and time savior for running a Pathfinder Fantasy Grounds game, just on the character creation side of the house. So much thanks to all involved in getting this rolling with Hero Lab!

Dershem
September 23rd, 2011, 17:46
Yep yep,

Though to be honest the real work is on the gm side with Monsters... at least to me this seems to be the longest part about prepping modules.. Once that conversion is out.. I shall be a very very very happy camper.

Aristotle
September 23rd, 2011, 19:24
Agreed. Being able to work up NPC/Monsters and import them will be a HUGE time saver once we have that functionality; and (could) negate the need for dedicated bestiary modules. (Maybe just a summonable creatures library?)

Anyway.. Exciting times. I'm glad to be entering the VTT arena right now.

TheMetal1
September 23rd, 2011, 19:38
Agreed. Being able to work up NPC/Monsters and import them will be a HUGE time saver once we have that functionality;

You guys answered my next question. I was going to try to see how it would import an NPC or Monster, but alas, it is not yet prepared to do that. But at least FGII and HL know what to look for in future updates.

Agamon
October 4th, 2011, 05:45
Newb here. Just wondering, once I import a PC into a campaign, how do I assign it a portrait?

Trenloe
October 4th, 2011, 05:48
Newb here. Just wondering, once I import a PC into a campaign, how do I assign it a portrait?

Only a player can do that - from the "Portraits" menu item. So, you have 2 options:

Wait for one of your players to connect and let them choose.
Run another session of FG on your computer and connect as a player to the localhost address. Then select the character and add a portrait. Remember to release the character after so another player can select when they login.

Agamon
October 4th, 2011, 06:05
Thanks. That makes sense.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2011, 14:15
Agreed. Being able to work up NPC/Monsters and import them will be a HUGE time saver once we have that functionality; and (could) negate the need for dedicated bestiary modules. (Maybe just a summonable creatures library?).

You guys answered my next question. I was going to try to see how it would import an NPC or Monster, but alas, it is not yet prepared to do that. But at least FGII and HL know what to look for in future updates.

Aristotle and TheMetal1 (and others) - I'm developing an application to allow importing of creatures/NPCs from the standard Pathfinder stat block. Info available in this thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475)

I've done some testing with the HeroLab statblock output (File -> Output Active Hero Statblock -> Plain Text -> Save to File) and this imports fine with a couple of minor changes to the HeroLab exported file:

Add an XP line between the Name/CR line and Type line.
Remove the --------- lines around the section titles.
Remove the HeroLab notice at the bottom.