PDA

View Full Version : Herolab Adds d20 & Pathfinder Support for FG

Stan Shinn
September 17th, 2011, 13:52
Herolab, the character sheet software product which has rave reviews, says this on their Facebook page:

Hero Lab 3.8a is out! This update includes a number of bug fixes, plus d20 and Pathfinder support for output to the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop!

Trenloe
September 17th, 2011, 15:14
Cool - good spot! :)

Hero Lab now has the "Save Custom Output" option of Fantasy Grounds. This creates an XML file with the .hlfg extension. To use this in the current FG character importer you'll need to change the extension to .xml. I'm guessing a future release will remove the requirement to change the extension from hlfg to xml...

Stan Shinn
September 17th, 2011, 15:24
I'm hoping HeroLabs will add the same feature for Savage Worlds!

Trenloe
September 17th, 2011, 15:28
I'm hoping HeroLabs will add the same feature for Savage Worlds!

You'd then need the FG character importer to support Savage Worlds. I don't know what plans there are for adding other ruleset support to the FG Character Importer - it currently supports 4E and 3.5E/PFRPG.

Leonal
September 17th, 2011, 16:36
You can also just type *.hlfg in the character importer when selecting the file to import and it will show the exported Hero Lab files. I successfulle imported a 10 NPC portfolio that way.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 22:32
I'm open to adding Savage Worlds import support to the Character Converter given that we get the about from Hero Labs.

One question for the SW crowd though. Since SW supports multiple genres, my concern is that the database format will vary for FG depending on which genre is being used. Are the basic pieces of data the same across multiple genres, or are there lots of genre-specific modifications?

Regards,
JPG

Kizan
September 25th, 2011, 03:33
I'm pretty new to the FG world. I own Hero Lab and want to play with the new "import your HL character to FG". Can someone post some instructions about how to do that?

I read the online manual. I searched Google several times. I played with the software for an hour or so. I downloaded all the extra tools from with download page. I can create new PC's from scratch, but I can't figure out how to import them.

Thanx,

Kizan

ZorxPotz
September 25th, 2011, 06:11
here is a step by step guide provided by TheMetal1:

Just a few more quick notes that might help some others on this.

1. When Hero Lab is open with the Character you want to Export, do the following:
A. Go to "File", then to "Save Custom Output"
B. A Window will Pop up saying "Custom Portfolio Output"
C. Click on "Fantasy Grounds" and "Current Hero Only"
D. Click on "Output" button at the bottom.
E. It will now take you to location where you'll save the file remember this for whatever it is for you.
F. This file is initially saved as an .hfgl file. Go to the file location and right click on it.
G. Select properties; under the "General" tab you'll see the file name with .hfgl - change this to .xml
H. Click "Ok" This will cause a pop-up "Rename" to come up asking you if you're sure you want to do this. Click "Yes"
I. Open the FGII Character Installer and run as an Administrator (right click to do this)
J. Under "Input" Select from the 1st drop down "Pathfinder"; the second drop down next to it will automatically pick Hero Lab .xml
K. Now click Select File: Find where you saved the file you mentioned above in you should be able to see the file and select it.
L. Now click on "Campaign Import" next to it there might be a number of campaigns or just one based on what you're running on FGII, click where you want the character inputed to.
M. Now click on "Convert"
N. Start up Fantasy Grounds II and pick the campaign where you imported the character too and your characters should be there with most of the data from Hero Lab. (I'll get to that in the next post)

Yeah, Step by Step, I know but it might help some folks out. Enjoy!

to be found here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15376&page=2&highlight=import+character

and a warm welcome to FG!!! :)

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2011, 06:43
The Character Converter has been in development all summer, and is just in the process of going through final wrap-up. Once it's finalized, I will be adding some documentation on importing characters as well.

Regards,
JPG

Kizan
September 25th, 2011, 15:43
here is a step by step guide provided by TheMetal1:

I. Open the FGII Character Installer and run as an Administrator (right click to do this)

The instructions are great, but I could use some more details about where to find the "Character Installer". I don't have any executable choices except the main FGII app at: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe"

Kizan

Zeus
September 25th, 2011, 16:05
@Kizan: Download the converter from here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FG-Char-Converter.exe) and copy it to a folder on your PC which has FGII installed. You can then Open the convertor and continue following from Step I by right-clicking the FG-Character-Converter.exe file and selecting Run As Administrator.

You can store the .exe anywhere however for ease of reference I have located my .exe in the FGII Programs Folder.

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2011, 18:35
It's located in the forums with the other beta release information.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025

Regards,
JPG