PDA

View Full Version : Rolls not showing up?

Emrak
September 17th, 2011, 01:19
Hey fellas,

A player's dice rolls are visible in the window, but aren't actually showing up in the chat window in the form of text/numbers. It's the new 3.5E module.

Thoughts?

joshuha
September 17th, 2011, 01:42
Is his normal text showing up? You are saying you can see the die roll in the window for him but no results reported?

Usually that would be 1) It is showing but you somehow scrolled up the window with the middle mouse button so aren't seeing new stuff report or 2) The player made a roll while having some text typed into the chat buffer. What happens then is the roll results are inputted into the chat buffer and not sent until he sends the message.

Emrak
September 17th, 2011, 01:46
Is his normal text showing up? You are saying you can see the die roll in the window for him but no results reported?

Usually that would be 1) It is showing but you somehow scrolled up the window with the middle mouse button so aren't seeing new stuff report or 2) The player made a roll while having some text typed into the chat buffer. What happens then is the roll results are inputted into the chat buffer and not sent until he sends the message.

It's not #1, so to "solve" the issue if it were #2, I would simply have the player hit the enter key?

joshuha
September 17th, 2011, 02:07
It's not #1, so to "solve" the issue if it were #2, I would simply have the player hit the enter key?

Yeah if thats the issue. Or just have him try to type anything afterwards. If you then get the text but no roll results than he might have some other weird issues going on.

Trenloe
September 17th, 2011, 04:23
Hey fellas,

A player's dice rolls are visible in the window, but aren't actually showing up in the chat window in the form of text/numbers. It's the new 3.5E module.

Thoughts?

I've seen this occur a few times since moving to V2.8 - I think it's to do with the dynamic chat window size. Is the player manually rolling the dice (i.e. picking the dice up and rolling them) or double-clicking within the character sheet?

If the player is manually rolling the dice it could be that they aren't releasing them into the "hot" area of the chat window that "traps" the rolls into the chat window and reports them. If they're double-clicking within the character sheet (or using hoy-keys) then it might be related to what joshuha said.

Emrak
September 18th, 2011, 00:27
That mention of "hot" areas probably explains a long running issue we've had with one player. His rolls rarely show up in FG2 if he rolls it manually.

Trenloe
September 18th, 2011, 01:35
That mention of "hot" areas probably explains a long running issue we've had with one player. His rolls rarely show up in FG2 if he rolls it manually.

Yep, sounds like it. I have one player (the least tech savvy of my groups) who regularly doesn't roll into the chat window properly when doing manual rolls. I've spent time entering most of the things he needs into his character sheet (the actions tab in the new 3.5E ruleset have been great for this) so we rearely get an issue now as he's hardly ever rolling manually.

Emrak
September 18th, 2011, 06:51
In 3.5E news...we tried to run our first 3.5E game tonight and (barring the connection issue in another thread) we had to switch back to D20_JPG because no rolls (except mine--GM) were showing up in the chat window. They were showing up visibly (i.e., we could see the dice rolling) but no text displayed. I had players map a d20 to a number button at the bottom. Still no go. One of the players had a character sheet entered in and it worked for him when he would double-click a skill, but another player tried the same and it did not work.

:-/

Trenloe
September 18th, 2011, 08:11
In 3.5E news...we tried to run our first 3.5E game tonight and (barring the connection issue in another thread) we had to switch back to D20_JPG because no rolls (except mine--GM) were showing up in the chat window. They were showing up visibly (i.e., we could see the dice rolling) but no text displayed. I had players map a d20 to a number button at the bottom. Still no go. One of the players had a character sheet entered in and it worked for him when he would double-click a skill, but another player tried the same and it did not work.

:-/

OK, this sounds like it's related to the size of people's screens and the size of the chat window. In FG 2.8.x 3.5E ruleset the chat window is sized based on the screensize of the whole fantasy grounds window. In D20_JPG the chat window size is set and so the dice roll mechanics appearing in the chat window is set also.

What screen resolutions are your players playing at? Are any of them running on netbooks (limited vertical resolution).

Emrak
September 18th, 2011, 17:54
I would need to do a virtual sit down and walk through it with them to determine resolutions (I can, if it'd be helpful for you). 1 player is using a netbook.

joshuha
September 18th, 2011, 21:47
Also next time you are hosting you can pop in the FG IRC chat or maybe throw up a post here and one of us can connect to see if we can replicate on our end.