PDA

View Full Version : Reskinning existing rulesets?

Drew Melbourne
September 15th, 2011, 06:54
Has anyone who's gone so far as to create a new ruleset or reskin an existing ruleset put together a checklist of files and their locations?

If I'm overlooking some existing piece of documentation in the Library on the Wiki or somewhere else and you can point me to that, that'd be great too.

Basically, I want to use FG for a superhero game, so I want to swap out all the fantasy stuff for something more "modern iconic fresh".

If folks want to share their experience, positive or negative, with subbing out images, I'd be happy to hear those as well!

gmkieran
September 15th, 2011, 17:08
Hey, Drew!

I don't have the documentation you're looking for (I'm still working on a rule-set, myself - Cortex system), but I've done re-skin of 4e/Savage Worlds to create a Serenity-themed desktop and icons. The information on the second page of this post helped me get started: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14529&page=2&highlight=skin

The image editing is not terribly difficult, especially if you start with an existing skin as your basis. Also, you may want to look for a modern skin for whatever rule-set you end up using as your base. There're pretty good modern skins already out there for Savage Worlds and D20, for example, and they're not terribly expensive as compared to the time it will take you to build your own.

Good luck and have fun!
gmkieran

tdewitt274
September 17th, 2011, 15:26
In a nutshell, it's best to go into the ruleset folder (in your AppData folder, then drill down). Look for the "frames" and "icons" folders. You'll want to keep the dimensions the same. For the icons, it's pretty straight. For the frames, check out the "graphics_frames.xml" file. Different rulesets may have different files to look in, but XML files that start with "graphics" is a good start.

If you're feeling up to it, you can also modify the "fonts". But I'd advise against it, you'll likely have to change the ruleset as different fonts have different sizes.

Hope this helps!

Moebius
December 12th, 2011, 12:19
I have re skinned the foundations ruleset and it took me a while to fin some of the locations, I have replaced the fonts as well and dint have problems ith it so far.

The main desktop wallpaper proved to be the most challengin one as if you use something different than the plain image you get a nasty "mosaic effect" specially on higher resolutions.

Most of what I did was trial and error but I worked basically on the frames and icons. The only think I could not change was the chat frame, when I modified the png for some reason the text in the chat stopped appearing.

The other main tweak was opening the lua files to limit the maximun size of the different frames so I didnt get a strange things when resizing the frame too big.