PDA

View Full Version : Gamma World

Nabikasu
September 14th, 2011, 05:34
I apologize if this is covered elsewhere in these forums, but is there a way to use Fantasy Grounds to play a game of Gamma World (the most recent edition)? I realize it's very close, rules-wise, to 4th edition D&D and that you could probably use the 4E ruleset to play, but there's also the matter of the cards, I think, which are hard to do online.

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2011, 07:08
I haven't heard either way about using the existing 4E ruleset for playing Gamma World.

I know that there is some interest from the community, and we're constantly checking in with Wizards to see if we can do something with any of their licenses. However, they haven't ever been open to sharing content, so nothing yet. We'll keep trying.

There are some card mechanics in the Savage Worlds ruleset, as well as an extension written by DrZeuss that is an add-on for Fortune Cards for 4E. If someone were adventurous and technical, they could probably hack on a few Gamma World specific features onto the 4E ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Zeus
September 14th, 2011, 09:13
I did look at GW for 4E some time ago and even built some prototypes for the card mechanics, unfortunately the sheer number of projects I have on the go has meant this hasn't seen the light of day in some time.

Adapting 4E to GW should be pretty straightforward. You only need to make minor changes to the character sheet (Skills mainly).

You can use my 4E Tables extension to build your Character generation tables and as JPG has stated use the 4E Fortune Cards extension as a template for managing the GW card system mechanics for Alpha Mutation/Omega Tech Cards.

Powers can be set-up as regular powers, although you may need to tweak the Effects parsing routines in 4E to detect the GW specific effect types.

Everything else maps pretty much as is.

Nabikasu
September 14th, 2011, 20:52
Hm... unfortunately I am not very technically inclined, even if I might be adventurous enough. The most I could handle is editing the XML libraries that someone else already made (such as with the Warhammer 3e ruleset made by Neil Foster).

But, thank you for your guys' replies. I might be able to manage with the Fortune Card extension (which looked really cool, I was gonna give it a shot if I could put together a Madness at Gardmore Abbey run with my group), but unfortunately editing everything else would leave me in a permanent 'huh?' condition.

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2016, 23:52
Post deleted. No sharing copyright material please

kronmichael
January 18th, 2023, 16:33
I haven't heard either way about using the existing 4E ruleset for playing Gamma World.

I know that there is some interest from the community, and we're constantly checking in with Wizards to see if we can do something with any of their licenses. However, they haven't ever been open to sharing content, so nothing yet. We'll keep trying.

There are some card mechanics in the Savage Worlds ruleset, as well as an extension written by DrZeuss that is an add-on for Fortune Cards for 4E. If someone were adventurous and technical, they could probably hack on a few Gamma World specific features onto the 4E ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

ZOMBIE this thread, as WotC seems to have a very different attitude these days about getting content onto FG. Been missing some things about 4e and would love to be able to run the lighter (better?) Gamma World with my friends …