PDA

View Full Version : How do you load up mods when Managing Characters?

crazz2323
September 13th, 2011, 05:39
I noticed if I click on Manage Characters to create a character, there is nothing in the library or in the modules when i click the book icon. However, if I start a game as the GM and connect to my own account via localhost, or even if another player connects to my game via the web, you can see the library contents.

I know the .mods are located properly in the C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\modules folder.

So how do I get them to load when managing characters? I have mods such as the Players Hand Books 1-3 in the folder. This way, I can drag the powers etc. into my char sheet instead of filling it all out. Is there a different folder I need to have the .mods in to get them to show up when managing characters?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2011, 06:48
The only modules that will show up when using the "Manage Characters" option are modules of type "client" (the data is contained within the module in client.xml) specific to the relevant ruleset the campaign in using.

They stay in the usual folder (modules).

You can see the modules when you connect as a player to a GM hosted campaign as they are probably common modules (data contained in common.xml within the module).

crazz2323
September 13th, 2011, 15:00
Ok, thanks! So should I re-parse the modules as a slightly different name (so I don't overwrite the ones set as common) and set them as client? Then the players handbook will show up when managing characters as well as when connected?

So for example I have a copy of the Players Handbook1 parsed as common. I also have Players Handbook1cl parsed as client also in the modules folder. Will that work or will it affect things in game if I have my character setup from data from the client parse vs the common parse later when I am connected to a game?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2011, 23:46
Ok, thanks! So should I re-parse the modules as a slightly different name (so I don't overwrite the ones set as common) and set them as client? Then the players handbook will show up when managing characters as well as when connected?

You could, but you will probably come across issues at some point in the future, trying to keep 2 modules the same, doubling up on entries in Fantasy Grounds (having lots of modules can use up memory), etc... So, not really a good idea.

So for example I have a copy of the Players Handbook1 parsed as common. I also have Players Handbook1cl parsed as client also in the modules folder. Will that work or will it affect things in game if I have my character setup from data from the client parse vs the common parse later when I am connected to a game?

If you re-parse the module with a different name, the links will only work for that module. For example, from my 4e campaign file character with the Sure Strike power:

<shortcut type="windowreference">
<class>powerdesc</class>
<recordname>powerdesc.powerSureStrike@4e Player's Handbook</recordname>
</shortcut>

This shows the Power Description link to a specific module called "4e Player's Handbook". If this module is not available to the players or the GM then the link will not work.

So, you should keep the same module name for everyone's use.

If you want to access the module in Manage Characters, then it must be client.xml - and you need to send this module to all of your players and they need to install it themselves in their modules folder.

By-the-way - Manage characters isn't a great way of managing characters beyond creating a new character at the beginning of a campaign or within an existing campaign. Modifying a current character requires a lot of double entry work - as you can only modify the local character not the character from within the campaign (server character). I've found the best way to allow players to modify their characters is to leave the FG campaign running at a pre-arranged time so that the players can connect and modify their server characters directly. This means they can connect and download the required "common" modules as well and you're not messing around with sending out client modules and making sure they have the latest ones.

crazz2323
September 14th, 2011, 01:16
Alright thanks for the tips Trenloe!

I liked the roll best out of feature you can use in manage characters when you roll your stats vs when creating a character at the start of a campaign. No biggie though, unless there is a command to pull up the same window that lets you roll stats or buy points to create a character. I didn't see an option once the campaign is started, only in manager characters even though you can still create a character.

Trenloe
September 14th, 2011, 01:29
I liked the roll best out of feature you can use in manage characters when you roll your stats vs when creating a character at the start of a campaign. No biggie though, unless there is a command to pull up the same window that lets you roll stats or buy points to create a character. I didn't see an option once the campaign is started, only in manager characters even though you can still create a character.

There's not an option within a running campaign to have the stat roller.

As I said, manage characters is good for creating a new character outside of the campaign and then bringing it into the campaign as a one-off. Once in the campaign it is better (IMHO) to modify the character within the campaign.

Using manage characters just for the dice roller is a bit of a hassle - if you want to use modules you'll have to have them distributed as client modules, if you want to bring the character into a campaign you need to have the campaign cache already on your computer (player connected at least once to the campaign), etc, etc.... Seems a lot of faff just for a dice roller!

The stat roller is nice. However, I don't roll stats anymore - I use the point buy system, creates much more rounded, "fair" characters and gives the player control over what they want.

Also, have you checked out the Fantasy Grounds Character Importer? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025) This is a good way to bring your externally created characters into FG.

crazz2323
September 14th, 2011, 17:15
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I agree it is too much of a hassle. It's no big deal, was just wondering if it could be loaded in a campaign by a slash command or something since it is not directly connected to anything but rolling stats.

As far as the character importer goes, yes, I have used it and it seems to work pretty good thanks!