PDA

View Full Version : Generic-ish Rulesets

Drew Melbourne
September 12th, 2011, 08:44
Can somebody run me through the options for generic-ish rulesets? I know there's actually one called Generic, and I think I saw that there's another one called... Foundation maybe?

I run a game using the old Marvel Super-Heroes rules from the 80's and I'm trying to figure out what the simplest way to port it online is without doing a crazy amount of work up front.

gmkieran
September 12th, 2011, 15:07
There is Generic which is the old d20 ruleset *possibly* combined with the Foundation development (it now lists as d20/OGL). There is also Unicore (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Unicore), which isn't *technically* a ruleset, but a basic foundation with instructions for editing it *into* the ruleset you want it to be. I'm not having a lot of luck, personally, with Unicore, but I'm not much of a coder to begin with and it looks like it *should* be fairly robust. Other than that, I don't know of another published generic ruleset. There does seem to be a bit of Heroes support for Generic (tokens/NPCs at least in the store).

Good luck!
GMK

VenomousFiligree
September 12th, 2011, 18:39
There is the Base ruleset too, I use that for most of my Indie games.

gmkieran
September 12th, 2011, 21:28
I thought that's what the Generic/d20/OGL was, MurghBpurn? What does the Base have, if anything, built into it?

Drew Melbourne
September 12th, 2011, 23:49
Thanks, guys! Is there any way to quantify what each ruleset includes?

For instance, I gather that the Generic ruleset has a blank character sheet, and no automation. Does it have the initiative tracker built in? Are there any other widgets like that I should be considering?

Is Foundation pretty d20-centric?

MurghBpurn, can you tell me anything about what Base does and doesn't support?

I saw the Wiki with some of the rulesets attached, but they didn't have much in the way of descriptions...

VenomousFiligree
September 13th, 2011, 07:15
I stopped using the Generic ruleset when I had a problem that never got rectified (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10484).

The Base (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Base_Ruleset) has more bells and whistles than Generic (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Generic) I think, however the PC sheet does need a bit of work before it's useable. There are a few extension for various systems that do this (Fate and PDQ come to mind).

There is also an Any System Extension (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Any_System_Extension) for Foundation.

Joshuhu is also producing "Foundation Core" (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15137)

Base is the most recent (i believe) and as mentioned above has the best of the extras, however it is not as "advanced" as the current 2.8.1 rulesets.

Valarian
September 13th, 2011, 09:20
There's a generic extension to the base ruleset. This has a basic text character sheet.

VenomousFiligree
September 13th, 2011, 10:21
There's a generic extension to the base ruleset. This has a basic text character sheet.
I thought that too, but couldn't find it :confused:

Drew Melbourne
September 13th, 2011, 15:16
Thanks again! This is a great overview to start with.

It sounds like I should wait to see what Foundation Core has in it, since from one of the other threads, it sounds like it's coming in the next week or two.

joshuha
September 13th, 2011, 16:48
Thanks again! This is a great overview to start with.

It sounds like I should wait to see what Foundation Core has in it, since from one of the other threads, it sounds like it's coming in the next week or two.

The first release of Foundations Core will just be a ruleset for others to build off of with some nice features that are generic in the ruleset. So the character sheet, NPC sheet, and combat tracker just have a name field in it right now. I kept the newer features of 2.8 though like targetting based on the map token and what not.

Then I am adding some advanced features that are ruleset agnostic. The first of those is the Token Extensions I am working on. I will in another release add Dr. Zuess' layer extension and table extension. I also plan on adding some other miscellaneous stuff like Ronnke's distance changer for images.

The idea is then other people write extensions off of this to support their rulesets. I do plan on a "generic RPG" extension that would just put a bunch of free form fields on the character/npc sheet to allow basic games to be run.

Valarian
September 13th, 2011, 18:02
An idea I've had for a generic extension is to create a number of areas (eg. Attributes, Skills, Traits, Powers). Then use the special ability character field as a list item. The field can accept dropped numbers and dice. It would make an ideal generic item. Not had the tome yet to take it beyond the idea as yet. It would be a good one to do early for your new Foundation core.

Stitched
September 14th, 2011, 16:02
I've built a *somewhat* functional Dragon Age ruleset using Unicore.

The only issues I am facing are stuff I will need to change/code to make work - like dragging and dropping objects and having the slots on the sheet populate, changing sections in the sheet to be more "Dragon Age" friendly.

It's the furthest I have made it from all the "generic" rulesets or retooling the 4E rulesets.

A rewritten Base rules or "extension" sounds more friendly but I guess we will have to wait to see how that works.

VenomousFiligree
September 14th, 2011, 20:26
An idea I've had for a generic extension is to create a number of areas (eg. Attributes, Skills, Traits, Powers). Then use the special ability character field as a list item. The field can accept dropped numbers and dice. It would make an ideal generic item. Not had the tome yet to take it beyond the idea as yet. It would be a good one to do early for your new Foundation core.
I like the sound of that! :)

Drew Melbourne
September 15th, 2011, 06:49
It doesn't look like you can download the "Any System" Extension from the Wiki anymore. Is there another place where someone could get it?