PDA

View Full Version : Client Performance issues

demadog
September 11th, 2011, 01:51
Hi All, our group has been seeing increasingly slow client performance for awhile and its beginning to really effect our gameplay. We have seem clients waiting several minutes at the character selection screen and once they are able to login it seems there is quite a bit of lag while playing, 10 or more seconds between rolling the dice and seeing results. We initially thought it was network performance, but standard network tests outside FG look to be just fine. Server performance seems great as well, with CPU, MEM, and disk i/o well under maximums. Also, as a test, we started up a new blank campaign and the same clients login quickly and have no lag with the same network connections in place.

I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with the size of the campaign, which as been running for several years and we have built up 100s of combat encounters, NPCs, and maps. The clients notice that their cache file is up to about 60 meg, but its unclear if that is an issue. We've paired down any old or unnecessary files from the server, but still the issues persist.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? or have ideas on what might be occurring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

phantomwhale
September 11th, 2011, 02:42
There was a bug in the Deadlands extension for Savage Worlds which exhibited this style of problem, caused by sending endless loops of network traffic. It only however manifested when it ran on top of the new v2.8 version of Fantasy Grounds II, before then it was much less severe and therefore remained undetected.

However, given your larger cache file, this could very well be a different style of issue. I diagnosed the network traffic issue by running the server with the "-n" flag and looking at the network traffic in the debug log (which showed the same thing getting updated over and over again for the bug above). Maybe running a similar thing might help diagnose the issue.

Most importantly, what ruleset / extensions are you running, and which versions of the rulesets / FGII / extensions ?

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2011, 17:57
Also, you can use the /flushdb command in the chat box in order to reduce the amount of data sent to your users at the beginning of the session. That command will clear any database information that you previously shared with the users, which they do not own.

Regards,
JPG

demadog
September 13th, 2011, 15:38
thanks for the help guys. We are running the 4e ruleset with the most current 2.8 version. We run a few of Dr Z's great extensions, but have tried it both with and without them and gotten the same results. We'll try the /flushdb command next, hopefully that will smooth things out.

demadog
September 16th, 2011, 15:07
We played last night after running the /flushdb command and performance was great. Thanks again!

Blackfoot
September 18th, 2011, 15:29
I definitely notice a hang when switching to the 'actions' page in the PFRPG version of 3.5... it only lasts for a couple seconds.. but the program seems to not be responding for that loading time.

Trenloe
September 18th, 2011, 21:59
I definitely notice a hang when switching to the 'actions' page in the PFRPG version of 3.5... it only lasts for a couple seconds.. but the program seems to not be responding for that loading time.

I see this as well - but only the first time I go to the actions tab. The more information in the tab, the longer the delay/hang. But, once I've opened it then each time I go back it's quick.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 22:37
Due to the large number of controls in the Powers sheet, it takes quite a bit of processing to initialize them. In the more recent versions of the 4E ruleset, I changed the character sheet so that it "soft" closes when you press the close button, which means that subsequent accesses are very fast.

Regards,
JPG