PDA

View Full Version : Download/parse portraits from D&D Insider?

crazz2323
September 10th, 2011, 18:39
A few questions if you all don't mind.

I was able to parse the PHB and MM from D&D Insider for 4E, so how do I get the portraits you can choose from when you create a character from their character creation tool? At the very least, does the portrait you picked transfer over if i use the character importer utility from this site?

Also, does D&D insider actually save your charater somewhere else? I exported my char to a selected location and he does not show up when I choose that location for the charater importer.

One more question please! I noticed in my .mod of the Players Handbook, there is no races listed. It lists the races and their powers under the RACE/TRAITS POWERS section but I don't see an additional entry for races (+all their stats/modifiers). I thought I would be able to drag a race from my Players Handbook in the Library and have the char sheet add the racial modifiers etc? I looked back at my scraped races.txt and it just has the following in it: (Is this normal?)
Dragonborn
Eladrin
Elf
Halfling
Tiefling
Dwarf
Half-Elf
Human

Griogre
September 11th, 2011, 17:22
You need to put the image of your portait into the portrait folder in FG's data apps. In My Pictures folder there is a folder called ddi insdie are Character Portraits -> Sample Portraits which has a bunch of character images. I'm not sure if this came from the old downloadable version of character builder or not. You could also try right clicking on the image on your DDI character sheet and save the image as a file.

The character sheet in FG is manual you need to copy in the stats yourself and any race mods from your character builder character (or use the character builder importer). The only automation in the character sheet is it will put in the 1/2 level bonuses for you if you set your character level and do the stat mods.

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2011, 18:11
There is a character converter tool available in the Laboratory forum. It's still in beta stage, but works very well.

It will import characters from the Wizards 4E Character Builder output files. However, portraits are not imported, since the graphics are not included in the Wizards output and thus are not handled by the converter tool.

You can use any file as your portrait within FG. The portrait files needs to be loaded on the player machine in the FG2 Application Data Folder under the portraits directory. You can also set the portrait on the GM machine by starting a second instance of FG on the host machine, connecting to "localhost", and setting the portrait using the player interface.

Regards,
JPG

crazz2323
September 11th, 2011, 18:15
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I could get all the character images similar to the way you can scrape and parse the manuals from the compendium in DDI. You can not just right click on the image and do SAVE AS, all it says is Silverlight when you right click and CTRL-C doesn't work either. Save from screenshotting every image I don't know how to get them.

I don't see where DDI saves my exported charater. I tell it where to export to and it appears to export but no file exists so I have nothing to browse to using the character importer from this site.

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2011, 18:20
Try saving your character file to your desktop, instead of the default location. In Windows, I find that the Documents directory can be confusing since the files are split between Public Documents and User Documents.

Regards,
JPG

crazz2323
September 11th, 2011, 21:43
In the the character builder via the DDI website, when I click SAVE there is no option to SAVE AS. It just saves it somewhere. So where is the file saving (or is saved on their servers?) so I can direct the character importer to the required file?

If I choose EXPORT I get to designate a save location so I chose a folder I named temp on my desktop. I name the file and click SAVE and then I look in the temp folder and its empty. That's why I am wondering what's going on.

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2011, 22:01
It's definitely the Export feature you want. The Save option simply saves the character to the Wizards database online.

I'm not sure why you would not get a file when you choose the Export option. It might be a problem with the Character Builder.

The character converter utility needs the export file in order to get the details of your character.

Regards,
JPG

crazz2323
September 12th, 2011, 03:06
Ok, well unfortunatly, it seems kinda dead on the official DDI forums so I still have no answer. Sigh oh well...

Trenloe
September 12th, 2011, 03:38
Ok, well unfortunatly, it seems kinda dead on the official DDI forums so I still have no answer. Sigh oh well...

Exporting works OK for me. Steps I do are:

1) On the Character Builder start screen press "Load"
2) Select a character from the "Load a Character" screen.
3) Press the "Export" button.
4) Enter the name of the file I want to save and click "Save".
5) The file is saved with the .dnd4e extension.

I've tried this both in Firefox and Internet Explorer and they both work. What browser are you using and what version of Windows?

crazz2323
September 12th, 2011, 04:31
Hmm well thanks for checking! I tried it in Chrome and it worked! Must be something in IE9 blocking it...

tdewitt274
September 12th, 2011, 15:34
64 bit IE tends to work iffy for me on quite few things. I have to switch to 32 bit IE when it doesn't work.