PDA

View Full Version : Afk

VenomousFiligree
September 10th, 2011, 11:08
The new AFK feature for players is excellent. Now what would be really cool is if the GM could set it too... :D

Zeus
September 10th, 2011, 11:15
As the GM doesn't have a portrait per se, I just share a simple image when I (as a GM) need to move away from the keyboard.

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6132659130_14f7b72d7a_o.jpg

VenomousFiligree
September 10th, 2011, 13:41
That's fine if players are connected :)

As the gm gets a speech bubble in chat, i thought it would be cool to have an AFK in the same position. Then when the GM has the server up for download of ruleset or character management, he can indicate to players his status.

Zeus
September 10th, 2011, 15:26
Not sure what JPG integrated from the Enhanced Status extension I developed for 4E. For players the AFK status is set by right-clicking the Character Portrait.

I guess for the GM we could look at adding a similar right-click action over the identity list GM entry or perhaps just adding a new toggable icon to the chatwindow frame.

Either way should be doable.

VenomousFiligree
September 10th, 2011, 16:47
maybe a slash command?

Zeus
September 10th, 2011, 22:51
Yep, that too. However we will still need an AFK status icon somewhere to provide the players with the AFK status of the GM.

Dakadin
September 12th, 2011, 01:17
You could always put the AFK status icon where the GM chat icon goes in the upper right hand corner of the chat window.

drahkar
September 12th, 2011, 14:01
I would point out the Chat bubble also appears for players. Not just GMs. That would make implementing things a little more complex. Unless we're taking about adding a whole new icon that would be displayed as opposed to overriding the chat bubble.

Dakadin
September 12th, 2011, 15:20
Yeah, I was thinking of it in addition to the chat icon since that is where I look for GM activity but I would say just use whatever is easiest if it makes sense.

phantomwhale
October 23rd, 2011, 01:45
I've moved this into SWEX 3.2 - after trialling it with players this weekend, I've changed "Player is AFK" message to "Player is away from keyboard". Turns out none of my players (being non-technical types) have even heard the term AFK before !

Interested to see what might be done for the GM. For now, it would be simple to add a slash command and chat text info, but need somewhere for that icon...

VenomousFiligree
October 23rd, 2011, 09:16
I've moved this into SWEX 3.2 - after trialling it with players this weekend, I've changed "Player is AFK" message to "Player is away from keyboard". Turns out none of my players (being non-technical types) have even heard the term AFK before !

Interested to see what might be done for the GM. For now, it would be simple to add a slash command and chat text info, but need somewhere for that icon...
Where the GMs speech bubble goes would be fine

phantomwhale
October 23rd, 2011, 09:29
Think that is the "anyone typing" speech bubble, not just the GMs. But yeah, doing some indicator(s) in that corner is probably the best plan.

VenomousFiligree
October 23rd, 2011, 10:07
Think that is the "anyone typing" speech bubble, not just the GMs. But yeah, doing some indicator(s) in that corner is probably the best plan.Hmmm :confused:

I always thought when Players were speaking they had a Speech Bubble on their Portrait, do they put one in the chat window too?

phantomwhale
October 23rd, 2011, 10:26
Whoops - your right (really need to sit in as a player more often !) - it's a GM talking indicator only. Perfect spot then.