PDA

View Full Version : How do you use/add tokens?

crazz2323
September 10th, 2011, 03:46
Ok, I noticed the demo has a few tokens in the token bag. How do I go about adding fantasy tokens exactly? What about all the monsters I parsed and added as a mod from the monster manual? Will they be imageless? How do I give them images/tokens?

Trenloe
September 10th, 2011, 04:18
Checkout the 4E User's Guide - accessible through the "Library" link at the top of the web page. Go to the "GM Guide - Desktop" -> Tokens section. This section expands and there are a number of sub-sections that detail most of your questions.

The monsters you have parsed out of the DDI website will be tokenless. The quickest way to add them is just for the NPCs you are using in a campaign:

1) Drag all of your NPCs you will use from the module into the NPC list.
2) Open each NPC and drag the token you would like to the circle at the top left. This will add the token to the NPC entry.
3) Build your encounter using the creature in the NPC list - and this will use the token you attached.
4) Drag the "placement" token from the Encounter to your map.
5) when you're ready to run the encounter, click the down arrow at the bottom of the encounter window. This will add the NPCs to the combat tracker and you can reveal the tokens by clicking the "eye" icon in the top left of the combat tracker.

crazz2323
September 10th, 2011, 05:49
Thanks! I downloaded all of the free Devins tokens mentioned in another post. How exactly do i merge those downloaded and unzipped tokens into Fantasy Grounds? The user guide is a little unclear. This part refers to token folders which do not exist in the listed directory: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_tokens.xcp

I am also a little unsure what to do with the folders the token packs are in. for example Token Pack 1 has the following folders: __MACOSX and TP1C the TP1C holds the .png's for example: CharacterBG3_01.png
and the other folder holds png's that i can't view for example: ._CharacterBG3_01.png.

So how do I add these png's to my library of tokens?

Trenloe
September 10th, 2011, 07:26
The user guide is a little unclear. This part refers to token folders which do not exist in the listed directory: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_tokens.xcp

That's strange - I can see a host and shared folder under tokens in the FG apps directory. Do you even have a token directory?

I am also a little unsure what to do with the folders the token packs are in. for example Token Pack 1 has the following folders: __MACOSX and TP1C the TP1C holds the .png's for example: CharacterBG3_01.png
and the other folder holds png's that i can't view for example: ._CharacterBG3_01.png.

So how do I add these png's to my library of tokens?

Organise the .PNG files in whatever directory structure you want to see within the Fantasy Grounds Tokens area. Then copy this directory structure (with the .png files) to either the tokens\host or tokens\shared directory - depending on whether you want the tokens to just be visible to the GM or the players as well.

Fantasy grounds just reads the .PNG files and the directory structure they are in. The .PNG files are the tokens and the windows directory structure are the token bags.

For example, I have the following structure:
\tokens\host\monsters
\tokens\host\monsters\undead\ <all of my undead PNGs in here>
\tokens\host\monsters\dragons\ <all of my dragon PNGs in here>
etc.

When you open up the token area when running as a GM, I will see one bag called "Monsters", when I open this bad I will see 2 bags: "undead" and "dragons", etc...

Note: the token folder is only read when Fantasy Grounds starts (or when the ruleset is loaded). So, restart FG once you have your PNGs copied into the FG app folder.

crazz2323
September 10th, 2011, 13:19
I do not see a token directory. I am looking at my FG2 apps folder. I went to it via START-ALL PROGRAMS-FANTASY GROUNDS II-Application Data Folder.
Which takes me here: C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

I see the following folders: cache, campaigns, extentions, modules, portraits. I even did a seach for token in the main folder and nothing other than a token file for the demo campaign.

I had to create the folders named tokens with the folders inside it named host and shared. I just put the tokens folder and its two subfolders named host and shared in the app folder: C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II. That seemed to work thanks for your help! I love how helpful the community is here!