PDA

View Full Version : New User - Looking for Aid (WotBS)

Solodan
September 8th, 2011, 02:27
Thanks for reading - I'm a new user who just bought the full and a few lites to start my foray into Fantasy Grounds. I'm looking to run war of the burning sky, but I may be getting ahead of myself.

I've watched the videos/tutorials, read and scoured the forums looking for answers for my first burning question: how do I get basic files into Fantasy Grounds? I feel like I could do so much (and really am itching to do so) but I'm kinda lost on the file structure. I've got the first .mod file for war of the burning sky, but it doesn't even show up in the "module activation" window (It is currently residing in the fantasy grounds II folder)

I can't figure out how to get modules, tokens, maps, etc imported into fantasy grounds. Is there a way I'm supposed to link folders or something? Its really hard to do find of the basic computer things without a taskbar up top.

Can anyone direct me to a discussion/link/directions on how fantasy grounds works with other files. I'd really appreciate it!

Dakadin
September 8th, 2011, 03:08
One thing that you need to do is make sure that the module file is in the correct folder. If you go to your Start button, and then All Programs, you will have a Fantasy Grounds II folder. Within that folder, select Application Data Folder. That will open a folder in Windows Explorer. Within that folder, you should see a modules folder. Be sure to copy the file in there if you haven't already. It should show up in the module activation window if the module is set for the correct ruleset.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2011, 03:20
I've watched the videos/tutorials, read and scoured the forums looking for answers for my first burning question: how do I get basic files into Fantasy Grounds? I feel like I could do so much (and really am itching to do so) but I'm kinda lost on the file structure.

Most of what you will do for Fantasy Grounds is in the Application Directory (not the same as the directory where the Fantasy Grounds executable is installed). To access this directory go to: Windows "Start" -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application data folder. This will open an explorer session and you will see a bunch of folders.

I've got the first .mod file for war of the burning sky, but it doesn't even show up in the "module activation" window (It is currently residing in the fantasy grounds II folder)

Put the module in the "modules" data folder. Start a campaign using the 4E ruleset and you should see the module available for activation. Activate it and then there will be additional tabs in story, images, NPCs etc with the WotBS info.

I can't figure out how to get modules, tokens, maps, etc imported into fantasy grounds. Is there a way I'm supposed to link folders or something? Its really hard to do find of the basic computer things without a taskbar up top.

Modules - mentioned above, put the modules in the module directory.
Tokens - see the 4E user guide: GM Guide - Desktop -> Tokens -> Adding and removing tokens.
Maps - add your images to the "images" directory under your campaign directory. When you create a campaign, a new directory (with the name you gave your campaign when creating it) is created under the FG App -> campaigns directory. See the 4E user guide: GM Guide - Gameplay -> Images -> Adding and removing images.

Can anyone direct me to a discussion/link/directions on how fantasy grounds works with other files. I'd really appreciate it!

Check the GM Guide - Gameplay section of the 4E users guide (accessible from the "library" link at the top of this page).

Solodan
September 8th, 2011, 03:52
Thanks! Always the simple details that get overlooked!