PDA

View Full Version : Release v2.8.1

Moon Wizard
September 8th, 2011, 00:01
Fantasy Grounds v2.8.1 is now available via the FG updater or via the FG installer on the Downloads page.

The primary focus areas for this release is bug fixes.

A more complete list of patch notes will follow, and is available in the patchnotes.html file in the FG program directory.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 8th, 2011, 00:02
Improved handling of invalid XML and corrupted database files.
Graphics errors or crashes when FG minimized while loading graphics. Minimize option disabled.
Tokens in ruleset PAK files not being sent to clients. Fixed.
Intermittent crash when using Return to Launcher option. Fixed.
Vote selections not updating on GM screen. Fixed.
Mouse wheel not registering screen position correctly when FG maximized. Fixed.
Released characters would sometimes show error icon when requested by a new player. Fixed.
Mouse click and drag on centered multi-line string fields was positioning correctly. Fixed.
[4E] Add DMGTYPE effect
[4E] More feedback to GM when dropping numbers on SCT that are not added.
[4E] Unable to add powers in local mode. Fixed.
[3.5E] Spells from module spell lists can be dragged to any link field.
[3.5E] Added ability/CL multiple to spell damage and heals. (i.e. Harm, Heal, etc.)
[3.5E] Player description field always visible in item windows, regardless of identified state.
[3.5E] Weapons with selectable damage types will show both damage types when initially added to character, instead of none.
[3.5E] Incorporeal creatures will resist non-magic, non-spell damage.
[3.5E] Temporary ability bonus modifiers on PC sheets were being ignored. Fixed.
[3.5E] In PFRPG mode, damage rolls now do half damage to incorporeal targets, except force damage.
[3.5E] First square of diagonal movement is showing distance as 10, when tokens are locked. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error on effects expiration when added from campaign effects list. Fixed.
[3.5E] Perception not highlighting in Senses field for PFRPG Bestiary entries. Fixed.
[3.5E] Strength effect modifiers being added to spell damage rolls. Fixed.
[3.5E] In PFRPG mode, memorization spell casters unable to choose 0-level spells for the day. Fixed.
[3.5E] Modifier stack not updating correctly when manually adjusting modifier after other modifiers already added. Fixed.
[3.5E] Disable Device skill incorrectly using Intelligence as skill modifier when in PF mode. Fixed.
[3.5E] Campaigns converted from old 3.5E would show double skill entries for multi-word skill names. Fixed.
[3.5E] Spells parsed while sheet open on host and client would not synchronize correctly. Fixed.
[3.5E] 0-level spells not showing in standard spell mode when not prepared for memorization casters. Fixed.
[DEV] tokeninstance: Added functions for getPrototype, getImageSize
[DEV] subwindow: Added tag for fastinit
[DEV] windowcontrol: Added warning message for onScoll/onZoom recursion
[DEV] Compatibility added to prevent onValueChanged event from triggering on setValue calls for non-DB numbercontrols.
[DEV] tokeninstance.getOrientation returning extra nil value. Fixed.
[DEV] Fields named category or holder would cause database corruption. Fixed.
[DEV] imagecontrol getViewpoint/setViewpoint functions were not correct when scrolling. Fixed.

Callum
September 15th, 2011, 15:13
[3.5E] Strength effect modifiers being added to spell damage rolls. Fixed.
[3.5E] Campaigns converted from old 3.5E would show double skill entries for multi-word skill names. Fixed.

Thanks for this update, JPG - a lot of great little fixes in there!

However, all my players' sheets are still showing the double skill entries. Is there anything else we need to do to get rid of them?

Also, the DMG effect adds to spell damage as well as weapon damage. I'm not sure if it's intended to function this way, but it surprised me (I was using it for the effect of spells like good hope). I wondered if it might be related to the Strrnght error listed above?

Finally, links to other spells from within spells still just open blank spell sheets in the d20 Spells book. I think you've fixed this in the 3.5E Spells book - can you apply the same fix to the d20 version, please?

Leonal
September 20th, 2011, 12:46
I couldn't help but notice that you can't minimize FG anymore. Haven't played much lately, so it took a while to realize.

demonsbane
September 21st, 2011, 10:19
I couldn't help but notice that you can't minimize FG anymore. Haven't played much lately, so it took a while to realize.

Yes, I'm also missing the minimize button.

Trenloe
September 21st, 2011, 10:37
Yes, I'm also missing the minimize button.
Check the 2nd new "feature" in post #2:

Graphics errors or crashes when FG minimized while loading graphics. Minimize option disabled.

Leonal
September 21st, 2011, 10:55

Doh! :D (more words to get 10+ characters).

demonsbane
September 21st, 2011, 13:39

Too bad: it was working perfectly well for me.

Thanks for your reply, Trenloe.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 22:18
Callum,

The changes in 2.8.1 will not remove double skill entries already in place, but you should be able to delete the versions that have different letter cases (which is what caused the doubling).

The DMG effect adds to all damage rolls, it does not differentiate between weapons and spells. You can try having the character use single use DMG effects.

The 3.5E spell book was not correct, but I thought I addressed with the 2.8.1 release. Can you point me to examples of spell entries that contain links to other spells which do not work?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2011, 00:02
Quick update to the 3.5E ruleset (v2.8.1A):

[3.5E] Ability damage field can be set to negative value again.
[3.5E] Effects not applying when only a single target selected. Fixed.
[3.5E] Sometimes when casting spells, attack entry sent to chat window when no roll specified. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
September 28th, 2011, 15:55
The DMG effect adds to all damage rolls, it does not differentiate between weapons and spells. You can try having the character use single use DMG effects.

Okay. I can't think of any effect in 3.5E that adds bonus damage to spells as well as weapons, though. The spells Crushing Despair, Divine Favor, Eyebite, Good Hope, Prayer, and Solid Fog all add to (or subtract from) weapon damage only (as well as Holy Sword, Magic Fang, Magic Stone, Magic Weapon, and Shillelagh, obviously). In my experience, I'm mainly wanting to use this with spells like Good Hope and Prayer, which affect multiple targets for multiple rounds, where single-use DMG effects would be a real pain. Is there any chance the DMG effect could be changed to only affect weapon damage rolls?

The 3.5E spell book was not correct, but I thought I addressed with the 2.8.1 release. Can you point me to examples of spell entries that contain links to other spells which do not work?

Yes, I saw you had fixed the 3.5E spell book. I was hoping you'd be able to apply the same fix to the d20 spell book, as I'm still using that version, because I've added lots of non-core spells to it.

Callum
September 28th, 2011, 16:02

[3.5E] Sometimes when casting spells, attack entry sent to chat window when no roll specified. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG
Is this update available? It doesn't seem to be showing up for me.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2011, 09:11
Can anybody think of any effect that increases spell damage?

If not, I think I can add some logic to only add DMG effects to non-spell damage rolls.

I have no plans to update the old d20 modules. I can barely get the updates to the active modules going, with all the other coding on the main client.

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
October 2nd, 2011, 14:44

If not, I think I can add some logic to only add DMG effects to non-spell damage rolls.
I wonder if the whole set of range descriptors needs looking at? I'm not sure what "area" or "close" mean in this context, or why they would be used to control what ATK, AC, DMG, CONC or COVER modifiers would affect. On the other hand, I can see that sometimes these modifiers could apply to melee or ranged attacks only. Would it be possible to have the default be all weapon attacks, with the ability to use a descriptor to specify only melee or ranged?

The bonus descriptors listed in the 3.5E User Guide also look like they might be from 4E. A list of the 3.5E modifier types can be found here:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifiers

The energy descriptors also have a 4E look about them. These are the 3.5E spell descriptors:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor

I have no plans to update the old d20 modules. I can barely get the updates to the active modules going, with all the other coding on the main client.
Fair enough - I didn't know if it was a lot of work to change, or just a line of code.

Will doing a find & replace in my "Extra spells" xml file to change "d20 Spells" to "3.5E Spells" be sufficient to make it work with the 3.5E spells module?

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2011, 18:04
I'm still interested in seeing if anyone can think of effects that boost spell damage in 3.5E, since that will direct any changes and I haven't played in many years.

The 3.5E effects subsystem was derived from the 4E effects subsystem, so that's why it has the 4E flavor.

When I was looking through the 3.5E information, I thought I had noticed effects that differentiated between melee and ranged, but I can't remember if there were any effects that boosted spell damage. While close and area are in the notes, I don't think that they are used in the 3.5E ruleset. They are differentiation of spell area of effect types in 4E.

I think you should be able to link to the new modules my simply changing the links from d20 Spells to 3.5E Spells; however, I have not done a comparison of the db.xml files in the 2 modules to see what differences there are if any. You could extract each db.xml and compare in a text editor, if you want to make sure; or just backup your module and give it a whirl.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
October 4th, 2011, 13:39

Cheers,
JPG
I just wanted to say thanks for putting this patch out so quickly - it made our last session run really smoothly!

SLB
October 5th, 2011, 05:01
I don't know if I'm talking about the right thing here but I think this is answering your question correctly.

Effects which boost spell damage in 3.5:
Metamagic Feats: Empower Spell, Heighten Spell, Black Lore of Moil, Energy Admixture
There is also a feat which allows a multi-class character to cast at character level rather than at class level so a 4Ftr/4Wiz could cast as an 8th Level caster (although only 1st and 2nd level spells).

Plus I'm certain there are prestige classes who must have an ability such as the metamagic feats listed - I just can't be bothered trying to search through them all.

Does that help or am I completely off base?

Callum
October 5th, 2011, 21:05
While those feats do increase the damage dealt by spells, I don't think any of them would be implemented using the DMG modifier, as none of them provide a simple bonus, but instead multiply, are level-dependent, or alter Caster Level.

Phystus
October 6th, 2011, 03:03
I can't think of anything either, besides the feats already mentioned.

Could you just add 'spell' as a range option to DMG:, but make it off by default? That way it's still possible if there is a case that nobody has thought of.

~P

Crossems
October 7th, 2011, 03:39
I upgraded to v2.8.1 and now my ultimate hosted install, won't let any of my clients attack and damage rolls apply correctly to their targets, in the 4E rule set.

When i attack and roll damage as a DM everything applies correctly, but even as a local client joined to a hosted game on the same computer ( with the same install ), when I roll to hit as a player, it won't determine if i hit or not, and if I roll damage, it won't apply it to the target hit.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Trenloe
October 7th, 2011, 04:00
I upgraded to v2.8.1 and now my ultimate hosted install, won't let any of my clients attack and damage rolls apply correctly to their targets, in the 4E rule set.

When i attack and roll damage as a DM everything applies correctly, but even as a local client joined to a hosted game on the same computer ( with the same install ), when I roll to hit as a player, it won't determine if i hit or not, and if I roll damage, it won't apply it to the target hit.

Is anyone else having this problem?

As GM, check in the Combat Tracker that the player actually has a target (press the cross-hair target icon to show what's targetted). Also, make sure the "Target: Enable PC Actions" option is enabled.

osarusan
October 7th, 2011, 16:21

There's a Warmage ability (Warmage Edge) that adds your INT bonus to the damage of spells you cast.

Callum
October 7th, 2011, 16:37
Could you just add 'spell' as a range option to DMG:, but make it off by default? That way it's still possible if there is a case that nobody has thought of.
If this is possible, it's probably the best option!