PDA

View Full Version : New Houserule option?

CelineSSauve
September 7th, 2011, 21:10
I saw a resent post on Wizards.com's forums that state an idea to balance the usefulness of Int vs Dex (especially for those builds that need neither of the stats for Min/Maxing).

The idea was to add the Int modifier to Critical damage (the argument being made that the ability to do a little extra damage balances well against being able to attack first more often, especially when you look at Dex vs Int Skills). Sadly, while I can do a string for "int bonus to melee damage" and "int bonus to ranged damage", I can't seem to make one for critical damage (or Opportunity Attack damage, for that matter).

Would there be some way to set it up, as an Effect I can set after everyone's in the tracker to effect PCs and NPCs equally, for example, or would someone be able to direct me on how I'd need to modify the code to allow this?

Moon Wizard
September 7th, 2011, 23:52
Depending on the house rule, they can be tougher or quicker to implement, depending on how much they change. Some programming experience would be very helpful, and you would want to write it as an extension to prevent your changes from being overwritten.

Adding the option to the options dialog is pretty easy; however, the attack and damage roll code is fairly complex. The other approach is to modify the effects code, so that you can add critical damage effects.

If you want to try out the house rule, just have your characters each type in "/mod # INT boost" into the chat entry, and drag the text to a hot key. Then, they can punch the hot key before making a crit damage roll.

There is no current feature that will add bonuses only to critical damage rolls.

Regards,
JPG

CelineSSauve
September 8th, 2011, 13:12
If you want to try out the house rule, just have your characters each type in "/mod # INT boost" into the chat entry, and drag the text to a hot key. Then, they can punch the hot key before making a crit damage roll.

There is no current feature that will add bonuses only to critical damage rolls.

Regards,
JPG
Okay. Thanks for the quick reply. But darn...

I had taken my attempt at coding several months back, but swore it off because I just seemed to be breeding errors. :o

We'll try the /mod thing. See how that works. Assuming I get a game together with my wonky work schedule.