PDA

View Full Version : Errors found in console.log

adminwheel3
September 5th, 2011, 04:47
We have a player running a high-end Mac with Crossover and who is unable to stay connected for more than 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes he just cycles through connect, disconnect, connect, etc.

Funny thing is when his FG goes down it invariably takes Ventrilo with it.

We are going to have him boot into Windows 7 next week and see if that helps. He's also going to remove his personal router and connect directly to his ISP router.

However in reading posts and trying to find out what else we can do to help him, I came across the console.log file and took a look at my own.

The player with the issues 'Eric' (although both Laura and Chris had a couple disconnect issues as well, they were both due to bad wireless connections). However it seems there are several errors being logged regarding missing modules and tokens - I don't know if these are simply informative or potentially harmful. Would love to do what's needed to clear these messages out.

Finally only Eric had an error message of: 'Eric' login failed - Attempt to reconnect to a user name that no longer exists.

Files is attached - if someone clever could look at it and let me know if it sheds any light on Eric's connection issues to my game I would be thankful.

phantomwhale
September 5th, 2011, 13:39
Which version of FGII are you guys using ? And what licenses ? And which ruleset (4E / SWEX) are you playing with ? Any extensions / modules ?

FYI - Some missing token messages are harmless, and a known minor bug. But not necessarily all of them. Log not approved yet, so can't look right now.

adminwheel3
September 5th, 2011, 15:11
Which version of FGII are you guys using ? And what licenses ? And which ruleset (4E / SWEX) are you playing with ? Any extensions / modules ?

FYI - Some missing token messages are harmless, and a known minor bug. But not necessarily all of them. Log not approved yet, so can't look right now.

Oh yes...it would help if I provided some specifics, wouldn't it?

Full License ver 2.8.1
4E

Extensions:
Enhanced Wounds
Enhanced Images
4E Items
4E Languages
4E Lore
4E PartySheet
4E Personalities
4E Tables
4E Theme - MetalPro
Campaign Calendar

Each player has their own module which holds their own powers / feats / magic items.

I also use a module called misc when I need to give out a magic item and I don't know which player it's going to. That module is a common module that each player has.

I have a separate campaign that I use only to create my maps in. I then /export them into a module. I send this module to each of my players on an as needed basis so they have a local copy of the image, since some of the maps I use can be 1 MB or so.

All of my story elements are created in my main campaign.

I have a handful of tokens are in my /host folder, but none are larger than say 300k and there are less than 20 of them all together.

My player portraits are all under 80k in size.

Oh, and I like long walks on the beach, warm summer rain showers and cuddling...in case that helps. :)

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2011, 02:03
A grab bag of comments, suggestions and questions:

* The missing module common.xml message occurs for any module which does not include common.xml, and is a vestige of older code that shouldn't have any impact.

* The missing token messages are most likely links to tokens within your campaign that no longer map to a valid file in your token directory. This happened to me when I reorganized my token directory. It can also occur if you use module tokens, then deactivate the module.

* If none of your other players are disconnecting, then the situation lends itself to something related to Eric's environment. Was he connecting with 2.7.6 without any issues?

* There is an enhanced network logging feature in 2.8.1 enabled by using the -n command line parameter. If you can connect with your Eric player (only) while this is active and get the issue, we can see if we can see anything. If connections are just dropping, this won't help; but packet/data issues do.

* Have you tried Eric in a new campaign?
* Have you tried disabling the extensions?

Thanks,
JPG

adminwheel3
September 12th, 2011, 02:43
Just wanted to report that after booting his MAC into Windows today, rather than running via Crossover my player Eric had only 3 disconnections and those were due to his router cycling. Not sure why Mac+Crossover+Skype+Ventrilo +Lousy ISP is worse than Mac+Windows+Skype+Ventrilo+Lousy ISP, but there you have it.

I think until he gets an ISP which doesn't cycle his router on Sunday morning we'll just have to make due. Thanks for your help.