PDA

View Full Version : FG's connecton test failed

jcdf
September 4th, 2011, 19:34
My FG's server fail's the connection test. The ports are all set up correctly. My firewall is down. And it refuses to connect. Are there any other reasons the connection test might fail? It was working a week ago.

joeru
September 4th, 2011, 19:57
My FG's server fail's the connection test. The ports are all set up correctly. My firewall is down. And it refuses to connect. Are there any other reasons the connection test might fail? It was working a week ago.

Your internal ip address might've changed, it can happen now and then depending on your DHCP settings. Check that the ip you're forwarding the traffic to is your current one.

jcdf
September 4th, 2011, 20:04
My computer IP address of DMZ host is 5.198.115.176

Fg's has the Internal address as same

Fg's has the External address at 109.77.245.51

Trenloe
September 4th, 2011, 20:41
My computer IP address of DMZ host is 5.198.115.176

Fg's has the Internal address as same

Fg's has the External address at 109.77.245.51

I'm not sure how your DMZ is configured, but could you try a test using UPnP to see if this works.

Details here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=114208&postcount=28)

jcdf
September 4th, 2011, 22:07
I'm not sure how your DMZ is configured, but could you try a test using UPnP to see if this works.

Details here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=114208&postcount=28)

Thanks for the help but the UPnP is already enabled on my router. :(

It was working fine a week ago. I have changed nothing since. Only created a new campaign in FG's and added a few additional modules and that is it. I do not know what could be causing this.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2011, 22:21
Thanks for the help but the UPnP is already enabled on my router. :(

No worries. Are you able to see a list of active UPnP ports in your router? If so, check to see that it is showing port 1802 active when you are hosting a game in Fantasy Grounds.

It was working fine a week ago. I have changed nothing since.

I work in IT and I get that comment all the time! Something's changed somewhere - nothing you've changed, but something is different... So, it's worth going over most of the basics to see that settings haven't changed.

Can you check this thread from post #32? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9547&page=4) Worth checking to see if FG's port 1802 is listening OK on your local computer.

Other things to check:
1) What operating system are you using? If Windows 7 or Vista, open the "Network and Sharing Center" and check what "type" your active network is. It should be "Home network" or "work network" - if it is "Public network" then windows firewall will block Fantasy Grounds as standard.
2) With FG running and hosting a game, do a port forward check from a website - such as here (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) Check the "remote address" is your internet (public) address, enter port 1802 and click "check". You should get a response saying it is open or closed. Doing this is to check that it is not just a problem with the FG check.

jcdf
September 5th, 2011, 19:37
Thanks for all of your advice Trenloe. It appears to be working today. It probably did not work last time because I forgot to use the simplest remedy of them all. Turn it off and then turn it back on again. I should have tried this obvious move yesterday. I feel a bit of jerk for wasting your time.

Thanks for the help all the same.

Scarlett
September 11th, 2011, 01:09
We had an issue after the update, no one could connect, but after the DM rebooted it was fine. SO looks like one of those times a reboot is required after the update :)

Cheers!

jcdf
September 11th, 2011, 13:36
I am unable, yet again, to host a game in FG's. The application cannot connect to the server. To my knowledge nothing has changed from when I managed to get it to work 6 days ago. I have tried updating, rebooting of computer and router. This is really starting to annoy me.

damned
September 11th, 2011, 15:12
check that your internal ip hasnt changed between sessions... nat is setup to work on ip1 and now you are ip2?

Moon Wizard
September 11th, 2011, 18:04
The main reason for port forwarding not working between sessions is if the IP address on your local network has changed. In most networks, the IP address for a machine remains static from day-to-day. However, if the machine is turned off for long periods, the IP address can change, depending on your DHCP rules.

That is the reason that I set up the UPnP support originally, which works for most routers (but not all). If you have a port forward rule set up on your router for that port, UPnP will not work.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
September 12th, 2011, 03:13
I am unable, yet again, to host a game in FG's. The application cannot connect to the server. To my knowledge nothing has changed from when I managed to get it to work 6 days ago. I have tried updating, rebooting of computer and router. This is really starting to annoy me.

Most routers also have the option to "reserve" an IP address for a given computer. The other option you can toy with is something called Time to Live or TTL. You can set this really high so it lasts longer than you would ever have between sessions.

jcdf
September 12th, 2011, 14:11
In the Fantasy Ground's application where you load a Campaign
under the Address information. It says the Internal IP address
is 5.198.115.176 and the External IP address is 109.78.71.222.
The external IP address changes every time I reboot my router
but the number is always something like 109.7X.xxx.xxx.

In the router under the Local Network configuration. The primary
IP Address is 192.168.1.1. In the DHCP Server Settings, the DHCP
Server is on. The Start IP is 192.168.1.2. The End IP is
192.168.1.254. The Lease Time is 365 days. There is nothing on
the Reserved IP Address List. When I try entering anything on
this list it will not except my machines MAC address.

In the UPnP Settings there is only a check box 'Enable UPnP'
which is ticked.

In the Security Configuration the IP Filtering is Disabled.

In the Virtual Server Configuration Ip packets are Forwarded to
the DMZ host. The IP address of the DMZ host is 5.198.115.176.
This number is the same as the FG's Internal IP address and never changes.

In the Port Forwarding there is currently nothing.

In the IP Routing Configuration 'static Routing' there is nothing, the table is empty.

In the IP Dynamic Routing Settings the LAN is operation Mode Active and pppoe_8_35_1 is Operation Mode Passive. Both are enabled. The DNS Server Configuration is 'Enable Automatic assigned DNS'.

If there is anything else you need to know in order to help me, just ask.

joeru
September 12th, 2011, 14:59
Do you use Hamachi? That internal network address seems strange. It certainly doesn't seem to be in your router's address assignment range.

If you use Hamachi, you could try powering it off and check if FG shows a different internal address, then either DMZ that IP, or port forward to it.

What's your router's make and model, by the way?

Moon Wizard
September 12th, 2011, 17:23
A few comments:

* If you are using DMZ, I don't believe you need to set up port forwarding at all; it will come through automatically.
* The DMZ internal IP address does appear strange. It should be a 192.168.1.x address.
* Since putting your computer in the DMZ negates the extra security of your router, I would turn off the DMZ. Once you do, try starting with no port forwarding rules (i.e. UPnP), then by setting up the rule manually.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
September 12th, 2011, 23:42
As joeru and Moon_Wizard mention, that 5.198.115.176 IP address doesn't soundlike its a valid IP address on your internal network and is more than likely why you're having issues. As Fantasy Grounds lists it as your internal IP adderss, it sounds like you have an additional network connection setup on your computer (Hamachi, another VPN, a virtual machine, etc) or your computer has an incorrect hard coded IP address.

1) Check that you only have one active network connection and that it's IP address is in the 192.168.1.x range.
2) Turn off the DMZ on your router. As MW mentions, using MZ is a big security risk.
3) Keep UPnP enabled on your router.
4) Start Fantasy Grounds - check that the external IP is 109.7X.xxx.xxx (this is a valid address range for Ireland), and that the internal IP is 192.168.1.x - if not, go back to step 1.
5) Load a campaign in Fantasy Grounds. If you can view the UPnP rules in your router web admin page check that port 1802 has been setup to forward to your internal IP addres. You will only see this when Fantasy Grounds has a campaign loaded and is ready for players to connect.
6) If you can't see UPnP port assignments in your router web admin page, run a network port check from this site. (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) It shoudl auto detect your external IP address, enter 1802 in "Port Number" and press "Check". It will either say 1802 is open or closed.

Other things to check:
1) What operating system are you using? If Windows 7 or Vista, open the "Network and Sharing Center" and check what "type" your active network is. It should be "Home network" or "work network" - if it is "Public network" then windows firewall will block Fantasy Grounds as standard.

jcdf
September 13th, 2011, 00:00
As joeru and Moon_Wizard mention, that 5.198.115.176 IP address doesn't soundlike its a valid IP address on your internal network and is more than likely why you're having issues. As Fantasy Grounds lists it as your internal IP adderss, it sounds like you have an additional network connection setup on your computer (Hamachi, another VPN, a virtual machine, etc) or your computer has an incorrect hard coded IP address.

1) Check that you only have one active network connection and that it's IP address is in the 192.168.1.x range.
2) Turn off the DMZ on your router. As MW mentions, using MZ is a big security risk.
3) Keep UPnP enabled on your router.
4) Start Fantasy Grounds - check that the external IP is 109.7X.xxx.xxx (this is a valid address range for Ireland), and that the internal IP is 192.168.1.x - if not, go back to step 1.
5) Load a campaign in Fantasy Grounds. If you can view the UPnP rules in your router web admin page check that port 1802 has been setup to forward to your internal IP addres. You will only see this when Fantasy Grounds has a campaign loaded and is ready for players to connect.
6) If you can't see UPnP port assignments in your router web admin page, run a network port check from this site. (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) It shoudl auto detect your external IP address, enter 1802 in "Port Number" and press "Check". It will either say 1802 is open or closed.

Other things to check:

I did all you and moon_wizard and joeru suggested. Everything appears to be working fine. :)

I am using Windows Vista Home edition.

I hope I will not have to return to this forum again. Thanks again.

jcdf
September 13th, 2011, 12:36
I tested it today and it has stopped working again. When I checked port 1802 using your site it said it was closed.

In my router's Virtual Server Configuration the DMZ Host is set to discard IP packets from the Internet that do NOT belong to any applications configured in the port forwarding table.

The Port Forwarding table is currently completely empty. If I try adding a new port forwarding rule it asks if the application name should be Pre-defined or User defined.

Pre-defined presents some drop down menus with suggestions including Audio/video, Games, Messaging/Conference, Servers, VPN and Others.

User defined presents a table of three rows 'By using the rules'
You can select the 'Protocol', 'External Packet Port Start/End' and 'Forward to Internal Host Port Start/End'.

There is two other choices. From Internet Host IP Address: either 'All', 'Sinlge' or 'Subnet'. And there is 'Forward to Internal Host IP Address:' where you presumably fil in an IP Address.

My firewall is turned off. My antivirusware is still active. Should I turn that off as well?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2011, 13:24
I tested it today and it has stopped working again. When I checked port 1802 using your site it said it was closed.

When you ran the port forward test had you loaded a campaign in Fantasy Grounds as a GM and Fantasy Grounds had fully loaded (chat window etc displayed)?

jcdf
September 13th, 2011, 14:21
When you ran the port forward test had you loaded a campaign in Fantasy Grounds as a GM and Fantasy Grounds had fully loaded (chat window etc displayed)?

Not originally. But I tried doing it your way. It still said port 1802 was closed even with FG's open at a campaign.

jcdf
September 13th, 2011, 20:49
OK I have tested it again just now and it works. The connection test in FG's works, the port status is open. I will try it again at a later date and see if it works.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2011, 23:14
OK I have tested it again just now and it works. The connection test in FG's works, the port status is open. I will try it again at a later date and see if it works.

Don't know why this keeps happening for you - unless there is still some extra non-internal IP address getting in the way or your UPnP on your router sometimes doesn't get the port forwarding from FG when it starts.

When you start up FG, make sure that the external IP shown is 109.7X.xxx.xxx and that the internal IP is 192.168.1.x.
See if there is a list of UPnP ports active in your router. This needs to be checked when Fantasy Grounds is fully running and hosting a campaign. This will tell you if the automatic UPnP setup for 1802 has been configured. This will only be active when Fantasy Grounds is hosting a campaign and waiting for players to connect.

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2011, 07:11
I've occasionally seen sporadic problems like this when more than one network adapter is defined. (i.e. wired and wireless card in same computer, running VPN, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

jcdf
September 14th, 2011, 11:42
My computer is connect to the router using a wireless connection to a router. It also has an unused ethernet connection. I think it has blue tooth as well but I never use this for anything.

I tried it again today and everything appears to be working correctly.

jcdf
September 17th, 2011, 17:24
It is not working again!

When I tested it yesterday it worked, and the day before that it work, and the day before the day before it worked. Today it does not work.

Nothing appears to have changed in my router's settings. Trenloe's port forward tester website says that port 1802 is closed on my router today.

So why would my router have left port 1802 open for the past three days and then decide to close it today?

How do I force my router to permanently keep this port open?

jcdf
September 17th, 2011, 18:55
Alright some tinkering has gotten the ports open again. I decided to set the IP address to static instead.

wbcreighton
September 23rd, 2011, 03:02
I've occasionally seen sporadic problems like this when more than one network adapter is defined. (i.e. wired and wireless card in same computer, running VPN, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the post. I just spent 3 hours puzzling through a connection problem, then I read this, disabled one of the network cards on my laptop and success ! Of course the gaming session was lost, but I'll be ready next week.